China Doll (1958)

There are 3 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,591 times. The latest Post () was by Hawkswill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• CHINA DOLL

DIRECTED AND PRODUCED BY FRANK BORZAGE
    PRODUCED BY ROBERT E. MORRISON/ VICTOR MATURE/ JOHN WAYNE
    BATJAC/ ROMINA PRODUCTIONS/ UNITED ARTISTS

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
    In China gruff Air Force captain Cliff Brandon wakes up after a night of drinking to discover he has purchased the housekeeping services of comely, young Shu-Jen from her father. Disappointed by Cliff's insistence on staying out late in bars, Shu-Jen leaves for home when Cliff, made aware that she is carrying her child, finds her and marries her in a delightful traditional Chinese ceremony. Happy days are spent as Shu-Jen and her infant daughter join Cliff at a forward base until Cliff, returning from a supply-drop mission, hears the base is under attack by Japanese bombers.
    Written by Doug Sederberg

Full Cast
    Victor Mature ... Capt. Cliff Brandon
    Li Hua Li ... Shu-Jen
    Ward Bond ... Father Cairns
    Bob Mathias ... Capt. Phil Gates
    Johnny Desmond ... Sgt. Steve Hill
    Stuart Whitman ... Lt. Dan O'Neill
    Elaine Devry ... Alice Nichols (as Elaine Curtis)
    Ann McCrea ... Mona Perkins
    Danny Chang ... Ellington
    Denver Pyle ... Col. Wiley
    Don 'Red' Barry ... MSgt. Hal Foster (as Donald Barry)
    Tige Andrews ... Cpl. Carlo Menotti
    Steve Mitchell ... Dave Reisner
    Ken Perry ... Sgt. Ernie Fleming
    Ann Paige ... Sally
    Gregg Barton ... Airman
    Barry O'Hara
    Tita Aragon ... Shiao-Mee Brandon (uncredited)
    Bill White Jr. ... Forsyth - Flying Tiger (uncredited)

Writing Credits
    Kitty Buhler (screenplay)
    James Benson Nablo (story) and
    Thomas F. Kelly (story)

Original Music
    Henry Vars

Cinematography
    William H. Clothier

Second Unit Director/ Assistant Director
    Lew Borzage .... assistant director

Trivia
    Victor Mature's salary was $125,000.
    Frank Borzage and Victor Mature set up a production company
    but this was the only movie they made together.

Filming Locations
    Saugus, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• China Doll is a 1958 romantic drama film set in the
    China Burma India Theater of World War II and starring
    Victor Mature, Li Hua Li., Ward Bond

Produced by Duke's brother Robert E. Morrison, for
    John Wayne's Batjac Productions.
    As could be expected 'Pals' of Duke in attendance,
    William H. Clothier on camera.also starring,
    Stuart Whitman, Denver Pyle

User Review

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I never realized this was a Batjac production.....must have seen it on the screen fifty times! Everyone know where Batjac came from?

I loved Ward Bond in this movie. Just shows another part, (he could play just about all), at which he excelled.

As I said somewhere else in this, (I lose my posts still), Ward had broken a bone in his hip. Yet he did a whole day of dialogue so that Vic Mature would not miss his plane for what I believe was the start of another movie the next day. Can't find where I read it, so it might be on the DVD commentary. It actually states how many pages of dialogue. But, if you go frame by frame when Bond sits down or gets up a few times....you will see the agony on his face and how he has to put his fists on the chair just to lower himself down. Yet, without the frame by frame, you would NEVER see it.........Dang, he was good!

This movie, through the years has moved up through the ranks much like The Searchers, but not to that extent. It was received pretty well when it first came out. It ended rather badly, and I cried like a baby throughout it, LOL! Then, after calming all down, the young girl came down the airline steps and held out the dog tags she had around her neck, and the water works began again. If you cry in movies, you will in this one!

Batjac made good choices in almost every part of this movie....see who the cameraman was?

Anyway, I really liked it, and I did not like Vic Mature ONE BIT before I saw it. Now, I look for his movies. OK Yall, where did "Batjac" come from?

KP KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: Addition ().

• Re: Duke's Productions- China Doll (1958) Might have spoiler
    I posted this under China Doll...then, thought I might should have posted it here so that people who might want to watch it would see it. OK, where should I have put it? I plan to be active here and want to make sure I do all right, although I admit I am still confused about some things. Anybody give out their phone number? If so......I will call, LOL.
    I never realized this was a Batjac production.....must have seen it on the screen fifty times! Everyone know where Batjac came from?

I loved Ward Bond in this movie. Just shows another part, (he could play just about all), at which he excelled.

As I said somewhere else in this, (I lose my posts still), Ward had broken a bone in his hip. Yet he did a whole day of dialogue so that Vic Mature would not miss his plane for what I believe was the start of another movie the next day. Can't find where I read it, so it might be on the DVD commentary. It actually states how many pages of dialogue. But, if you go frame by frame when Bond sits down or gets up a few times....you will see the agony on his face and how he has to put his fists on the chair just to lower himself down. Yet, without the frame by frame, you would NEVER see it.........Dang, he was good!

This movie, through the years has moved up through the ranks much like The Searchers, but not to that extent. It was received pretty well when it first came out. It ended rather badly, and I cried like a baby throughout it, LOL! Then, after calming all down, the young girl came down the airline steps and held out the dog tags she had around her neck, and the water works began again. If you cry in movies, you will in this one!

Batjac made good choices in almost every part of this movie....see who the cameraman was?

Anyway, I really liked it, and I did not like Vic Mature ONE BIT before I saw it. Now, I look for his movies. OK Yall, where did "Batjac" come from?

KP KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE