Up the River (1930)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 41 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by arthurarnell.

• Re: John Ford- Up the River (1930)

"And of course whilst all of this was going on JW shocked Ford with his impromptu walk on, so that's why Ford blanked him. Ford thought JW was getting above himself, walking into his picture without permission!! LOL"

Just wondering, did the extras have to have permission from the Director to be in his film? Seems like the spots you have possibly located Duke were very distant from the on film action. Or did I miss a story where Duke was a bit pushier?
      Knowing Mr. Ford's history, I could visualize your scenario, easily.

Chester :newyear;

Hi All

That timescale fits in just nicely Tag Gallagher in John Ford the Man and his Films quotes that Up The River was shot in the Summer of 1930.

I think possibly that just about ties it up. One thing is sure after reading the lasts posts we certainly know more about that period of Dukes career than previously and for that reason I think this exercise has been well worth while.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Well said and done Arthur.
      It is a fruitful and rewarding exercise analyzing these old films,
      and already we have re- written and indeed written something new.

Elly has proven that Duke appeared an an earlier movie then we thought,
      namely Careful Please, shot before Brown of Harvard
      which was always considered his first visual movie.

None of the books have ever stated exactly where and when he met John Ford,
      but from just watching a readily available documentary,
      one can hear and watch Duke say, Mother Machree.
      Perhaps the authors can now re-edit their books!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

chester7777 wrote:

"And of course whilst all of this was going on JW shocked Ford with his impromptu walk on, so that's why Ford blanked him. Ford thought JW was getting above himself, walking into his picture without permission!! LOL"

Just wondering, did the extras have to have permission from the Director to be in his film? Seems like the spots you have possibly located Duke were very distant from the on film action. Or did I miss a story where Duke was a bit pushier?
      Knowing Mr. Ford's history, I could visualize your scenario, easily.

Chester :newyear;

THIS WAS ME GETTING ABOVE MYSELF!!

As a published author and world expert on all things John Wayne I was merely stating what I knew to be true LOL

Seriously though, it was just conjecture on my part to tie together JW finishing filming the big trail, being in up the river and Ford blanking him.

Good question about extras I would like to know the answer to that please?

I am sure JW said he did the hanging scene in Hangmans house as a result of a phone call from his boss in the "swing gang". However Ford could have asked the boss of the gang to call JW. Just strikes me as an informal way of doing things that COULD have been the norm.

kind regards

Elly

[LEFT][SIZE=1][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [B][B]Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind[/B][/B]

ethanedwards wrote:

Well said and done Arthur.
      It is a fruitful and rewarding exercise analyzing these old films,

Perhaps the authors can now re-edit their books!

Hello Keith

It is also very tiring, time consuming and frustrating!

NO! I hope they do not revise their books - just more cash in their pockets on the back of someone elses work! Unless of course they are bringing something new as well.

[B][B]Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind[/B][/B]

Hi

Carolyn Mcgivern wrote a very interesting book about Duke with far less material than I imagine Elly has gathered and took on Michael Wayne and Wayne Enterprises to boot, at least that obstacle has been removed, Go to it Elly and more powere to you elbow.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

chester7777 wrote:

Maybe its getting close to the time when Elly might be writing her own book.

Chester :newyear:

Not a snowball in hell's chance of me doing that! I am a good researcher but no JK Rowling!

Anyway, this is just a hobby for me and I am very happy to share my findings and put everything I know on DVD for anyone who wanted it.

If someone else wanted to publish it then fine but not me!

The title should be the "Almost forgotten work of JW" Because as well as these early films it should include all of the radio, TV and narration work he did. And do not forget he was also a Stage actor. (in one play 1949 What price glory)

And if there were plenty of screen captures and pictures, then maybe there would be enough for a book.

Elly

hi

After letting this lie dormant for some time I have just bought Spencer Tracy - A Biography by James Curtis. The book is a weighty tome of 1001 page published in 2011 by Arrow Books

WRT Up The River Curtis writes that Tracy was signed to the Leo Morrison Agency on a six week contract commencing June 16th 1930 for $600 a week with a six months option on his services and the stipulation that he would be back in New York by August 21st as the show must open in Chicago September 1st.
      (p 137)

Later:- 'Tracy was set to leave the Last Mile on May 26 when actor Lawrence Leslie, his replacement, fell ill with grippe. ... he was able to step away on Saturday June 7th, and left immediately for the West Coast. Despite the rush to get him to Los Angeles wher he arrived late Monday evening, Tracy found there was absolutely nothing to do'

More Later

regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low

Hi

Getting back,my wife wanted to buy a new laptop and I needed a new printer, but now back to Up The River.

'Up The River gor under way on August 1st, the company working nonstop to close with Tracy as scheduled' (p 140)

Then finally- Tracy made his last shot on Sunday August 17th, at around five in the afternoon and was on a train bound for New York by eight that same evening' p 141

Nowhere in the chapter is John Wayne mentioned.

Regards

Arthur
      Walk Tall - Talk Low