Pinned John Wayne's Birth Certificate

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.
       

    There are 39 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kcat.

    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      Kcat wrote:

      It was most kind of you to post this. Thank you! I've heard different times. Wondering if anyone here can verify the source? Or if they have more info? Thanks again, Duke!


      This of course has been posted here some time back
      Screen Legends- John Wayne

      In the Trivia section
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      The birth documents are from the personal property of John Wayne, auctioned in October 2011. They sold for US$7,767.50.

      More on the birth, from John Wayne: American

      "Molly got good prenatal care from Dr. Jessie Smith, one of Iowa's few female physicians, and they formed a close relationship. On May 25, 1907, when she went into labor, Molly put out a call to Dr. Smith, and the baby came the next day. It was a torturous delivery, marked by a long labor and a huge, thirteen-pound baby that, in Molly's opinion, almost killed her. Marion Robert Morrison, the future John Wayne, had come into the world."
    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      RoughRider wrote:

      The birth documents are from the personal property of John Wayne, auctioned in October 2011. They sold for US$7,767.50.

      More on the birth, from John Wayne: American

      "Molly got good prenatal care from Dr. Jessie Smith, one of Iowa's few female physicians, and they formed a close relationship. On May 25, 1907, when she went into labor, Molly put out a call to Dr. Smith, and the baby came the next day. It was a torturous delivery, marked by a long labor and a huge, thirteen-pound baby that, in Molly's opinion, almost killed her. Marion Robert Morrison, the future John Wayne, had come into the world."



      Hi Neil

      At $7,767.50 it kind of makes a mockery of one of the reasons stated for the auction

      "to give the fans a chance to own something personal to JW"

      I do not know any fans who have this kind of money LOL

      Elly

      [LEFT][SIZE=1][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [B][B]Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind[/B][/B]
       
    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      They meant just the "rich" fans, Ellly :wink_smile:

      I thought the same thing. But, the reason for the auction was to raise money as well, and that they did, and then some!

      Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      ethanedwards wrote:

      This of course has been posted here some time back
      Screen Legends- John Wayne

      In the Trivia section


      Thank you, Keith! Ah, yes. Good to see the IMDb posted here as well. Wondering how to verify the time they give.

      There's such an abundance of information on our site here... which is a very good thing... only it can be difficult finding what's needed sometimes, and I am grateful for your help in digging things up!

      Thank you again!!

      Kcat

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Kcat ().

    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      RoughRider wrote:

      The birth documents are from the personal property of John Wayne, auctioned in October 2011. They sold for US$7,767.50.

      More on the birth, from John Wayne: American

      "Molly got good prenatal care from Dr. Jessie Smith, one of Iowa's few female physicians, and they formed a close relationship. On May 25, 1907, when she went into labor, Molly put out a call to Dr. Smith, and the baby came the next day. It was a torturous delivery, marked by a long labor and a huge, thirteen-pound baby that, in Molly's opinion, almost killed her. Marion Robert Morrison, the future John Wayne, had come into the world."


      Thank you Rough Rider! This is certainly interesting... and it says "day" which could help to support the time of 1 pm. How I wish The Duke were here and that we could talk with him directly.

      In lieu of that, every bit of information can help us get a little closer to the truth.

      Thanks again,

      Kcat
    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      Kcat wrote:

      Thank you Rough Rider! This is certainly interesting... and it says "day" which could help to support the time of 1 pm. How I wish The Duke were here and that we could talk with him directly.

      In lieu of that, every bit of information can help us get a little closer to the truth.

      Thanks again,

      Kcat


      Hi

      I am just curious as to why the exact time of JW birth is important?


      thanks Elly

      [LEFT][SIZE=1][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/SIZE][/LEFT]
      [B][B]Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind[/B][/B]
       
    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      Colorado Bob wrote:

      Actually, he did have a birth certificate. A copy of it is on display at the John Wayne Birthplace Museum. As a side note, his birth certificate records his name, at birth, as Marion Robert Morrison.




      RoughRider wrote:

      The birth documents are from the personal property of John Wayne, auctioned in October 2011. They sold for US$7,767.50.

      More on the birth, from John Wayne: American

      "Molly got good prenatal care from Dr. Jessie Smith, one of Iowa's few female physicians, and they formed a close relationship. On May 25, 1907, when she went into labor, Molly put out a call to Dr. Smith, and the baby came the next day. It was a torturous delivery, marked by a long labor and a huge, thirteen-pound baby that, in Molly's opinion, almost killed her. Marion Robert Morrison, the future John Wayne, had come into the world."


      Kind of wish we had read this post BEFORE going to Winterset, because we did have an opportunity to tour the Birthplace home, and there is a birth certificate on display there (that to my memory looks a little different than the one Rough Rider posted a link to, but then again, my memory isn't always what I'd like it to be). They don't allow ANY photography, but I would have paid closer attention to looking at it for some of the details. One thing that was on display was a copy of the canceled check Duke wrote (for $3) to receive copies of his birth certificate!

      Something else we didn't know but learned during our tour, was about Jessie Smith, the female doctor who delivered Duke (we thought we were going to share some new knowledge, and it was already here!). There was a photo of her on display.
    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      I always thought it strange that they don't allow any photography in the museum. There is so much to see there, that if you're like me, there's no way you can remember all of it, and a camera would have made it so much easier to remember what they have there.
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.
    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      Colorado Bob wrote:

      I always thought it strange that they don't allow any photography in the museum. There is so much to see there, that if you're like me, there's no way you can remember all of it, and a camera would have made it so much easier to remember what they have there.

      I agree, but in this day and age, someone might take a picture of said $3.00 check and with today's copying technology, be selling them on eBay the next, (or same) day.

      Chester :newyear:
    • Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

      Wayne wrote:

      For those who might be curious, here's a photo of Dr. Jessie Smith, who delivered Marion Robert Morrison on May 26, 1907 in the back room of their family home:

      Thanks for this Wayne, great photo
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England