Pinned John Wayne's Birth Certificate

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 40 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kcat.

• Re: John Wayne's birth certificate

Great picture, Wayne, I remember it in the Birthplace home. Speaking of pictures, were you going to post some more pictures from this years Birthplace Celebration on your website? In particular, more pictures of visitors wearing hats? :wink_smile:

Chester :newyear:

Now I'm trying to do a biography on Wayne for my second site from my collection of books on him, now as anyone read Cast A Giant Shadow, its like Wayne is telling his life story. He's saying his mother blamed him for coming to soon causing her shame and embarrassment being born eight months premature and she named him Robert Micheal, talk about him being confused about his name I know I am, so can anybody shed any light on this, if you have read the book you will know what I mean.

“Well, there are some things a man just can’t run away from.” – Stagecoach

Rocklin wrote:

Now I'm trying to do a biography on Wayne for my second site from my collection of books on him, now as anyone read Cast A Giant Shadow, its like Wayne is telling his life story. He's saying his mother blamed him for coming to soon causing her shame and embarrassment being born eight months premature and she named him Robert Micheal, talk about him being confused about his name I know I am, so can anybody shed any light on this, if you have read the book you will know what I mean.

“Well, there are some things a man just can’t run away from.” – Stagecoach

Have you seen our sub-forum
      Duke's Family
      There is lots of stuff on there,
      his ancestors, his parents,grandparents etc.
      You might find useful, including his name change, which I have copied below

Mary Alberta Brown (1885–1970)
      his mother of Lancaster County, Nebraska,
      was a former telephone operator from Des Moines.
      Mary was often referred to as Molly.
      She was redheaded, blue-eyed and of Irish descent,
      and had a temper to prove it.
      Tiny and vivacious, Mary was a rather plain woman,
      and morally straight-laced,
      A writer once mentioned Duke was born less than
      nine months later!

Duke remarked later in life,
      If my mother was still alive, she would have horsewhipped him down Main Street

Her family moved to Iowa, when Mary's father
      Robert Emmett Brown, became a proof writer for a Des Moines newspaper.

It is well known that his mother and was obsessed with putting Duke down,
      and favouring his younger brother Robert.
      So much so, she changed Duke's name, right after Duke was born.

She gave Duke no credit for his success,
      and that would haunt Duke for the rest of his life!

Mary Morrison moved with brother Robert to Long Beach,
      where she lived for the rest of her life.
      She passed away in Los Angeles in 1970,
      after a long illness.She was 81 years old.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().