Olive Films

There are 133 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 92,949 times. The latest Post () was by Durhamcowboy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Olive Films has announced the release of The Fighting Kentuckian on Blu-ray and standard DVD on September 24.

The Fighting Kentuckian (1949) Actor: John Wayne, Vera Ralston, Philip Dorn, Oliver Hardy, Marie Windsor, John Howard, Hugo Haas, Grant Withers, Odette Myrtil, Paul Fix, Mae Marsh, (more)
    Director: George Waggner
    Genre: Westerns
    Year: 1949
    Studio: Olive Films
    Length: 100 minutes
    Released: September 24, 2013
    Rating: NR
    Format: Blu-ray/DVD
    Misc: NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White
    Language: English (Original Language)

SYNOPSIS:

John Wayne (The Quiet Man) sets the wild frontier ablaze in this thrilling romantic adventure!

Set shortly after the Battle of New Orleans, the film casts Wayne as John Breen, a Kentucky trooper leading a regiment of Kentucky riflemen back home. The regiment passes through a settlement of French army refugees who were granted land by an act of Congress.

Breen falls head over heels for the beautiful French general’s daughter (Vera Ralston), but a rich and powerful rival, Blake Randolph (John Howard) also has his heart set on her. As the two suitors lock horns, Wayne discovers that his rival has a malicious scheme up his sleeve, and soon the courtship battle escalates into a full-scale war.

George Waggner (The Wolf Man) wrote and directed this action-packed comedy adventure. The stellar cast includes comic legend Oliver Hardy, Hollywood bad-girl Marie Windsor with Philip Dorn and Paul Fix. It’s “The Duke” at his best as The Fighting Kentuckian battles for his love and the land of the free!

• Ward Bond alert!

Olive Films is releasing Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye on Blu-ray and DVD on August 27. Ward plays Inspector Weber.

It's been quite a few years since I've seen this movie but as I recall Cagney plays a real nasty piece of work in this one. He was such a sweetie pie in real life -- loved the rural life, played music and painted.

• Artwork and details for Olive Film's release of Flying Tigers on May 13.

Flying Tigers (1942)

Actor: John Wayne, John Carroll, Anna Lee, Paul Kelly, Gordon Jones, Mae Clarke, Addison Richards,Edmund MacDonald, Bill Shirley, Tom Neal, Malcolm 'Bud' McTaggart
    Director: David Miller
    Genre: Action & Adventure, Drama, Military/War, Romance
    Year:1942
    Studio: Olive Films
    Length: 101 minutes
    Released: May 13, 2014
    Rating: NR
    Format: DVD
    Misc: NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White
    Language: English (Original Language)

SYNOPSIS:

Prior to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, a small and daring band of American mercenaries soared into battle against Japan in defense of China's freedom. The 'Flying Tigers' were heroic adventurers and America's hottest ace pilots. Possessing unmatched skill and bravery, Capt. Jim Gordon (John Wayne), was the Tigers' leader and top gun.

Gordon faces a battle on and off the ground when his good friend and ace pilot, Woody Jason (John Carroll) is suspected of recklessly and selfishly endangering the lives of his fellow pilots. Gordon's fight to retain his respect for Woody while maintaining the solidarity of his pilots is an explosive battle of courage and heroism that lights up the sky with action.

Directed by the great and underrated David Miller (Sudden Fear) with a rousing score by Victor Young (The Quiet Man). Nominated for three Academy Awards in 1942.

• Olive Films have announced via FB that The Sands of Iwo Jima will be released on Nov 11 2014. Its up on Amazon now for pre order.

I know these releases can be of good quality but lacking real extras. Given the importance of the movie maybe there will be an extra this time.

I know there was a making of ... documentary by Leonard Maltin included on the 45 th Anniversary Republic release vhs NTSC version (that I still have).

Olive included Maltin's Docs on Rio Grande and the Quiet Man when they released those movies. so who Knows??

I am sure more info will appear as we get nearer to date.