Olive Films

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 133 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Durhamcowboy.

• Re: Olive Films

So finally sat down and watched my, somewhat tardy, copy of Rio Grande on Olive Films Blu Ray.
      What a wonderful, wonderful film, I love it more each time I see it, made all the more special having been to Monument Valley earlier this year.
      So we know the film is a true classic, so how does the transfer compare to the DVD?
      Sorry guys but it's time to put your hands in your pockets again: The transfer is gorgeous!

I have done my duty as one of the resident 'geeks' on the forum and watched the same scenes on the DVD and Blu Ray flicking from one to the other... There is no comparison.
      Even from the start when the children run out to greet the returning soldiers you can clearly see the difference. The DVD is far too bright and blasts out all the detail, on Blu ray you can see the patten on the children's dresses which appear virtually white on the DVD.

The actual picture quality is also a huge leap forward. IMO I would say it's at least a 60% improvement on the DVD if not more. The sound is pretty good too.

Short but sweet, it's a must buy.

Really excited now about the upcoming early republic releases!
      "Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dooley ().

Another goodie from Olive Films, for the Joel McCrea fans. Ben Johnson doubled for McCrea in this film.

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF “SPRINGFIELD RIFLE” AND “DAY OF THE OUTLAW”
      FIRST TIME ON DVD AND Blu-ray
      REMASTERED IN HD FROM AN ARCHIVAL 35MM FINEGRAIN PRINT

JOEL McCREA | VERONICA LAKE
      RAMROD (1947) Directed by ANDRE DE TOTH
      with DON DeFORE | DONALD CRISP | LLOYD BRIDGES | PRESTON FOSTER

PREBOOK 10/23/12 STREET 11/20/12

DVD UPC# 887090046503 CAT# OF465 $24.95srp
      BLU-RAY UPC# 887090046602 CAT# OF466 $29.95srp

This western from legendary director Andre De Toth (House of Wax) was the first of several films based on the stories of western author Luke Short (Silver City). Western legend Joel McCrea (Ride the High Country) stars as a veteran cowhand Dave Nash, who’s hired by Connie Dickason (Veronica Lake), a strong-willed daughter of Ben Dickason (Charles Ruggles), a ranch owner who has become the toady of a powerful local cattleman, Frank Ivey (Preston Foster), whom Ben once wanted Connie to marry. Connie has inherited a sheep ranch from her ex-husband and is determined to run the ranch with the help of her new Ramrod and his crew of anti-Ivey locals despite the opposition of Ivey and her father. The resulting bloody range war is much to the dismay of Dave, who wants to resolve Connie’s problems with Ivey legally. The Stellar cast includes Dan DeFore, Donald Crisp, Arleen Whelan and Lloyd Bridges.

1947 | B&W | 95 Minutes | Not Rated | 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio

“RAMROD” JOEL McCREA VERONICA LAKE DONALD CRISP DON DeFORE
      a HARRY SHERMAN production directed by ANDRE DE TOTH
      RAMROD © 1947 MELANGE PICTURES LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Paula wrote:

I should add that I love Joel McCrea... in westerns and everything else! One of my all-time favorite movies is Sullivan's Travels. ;)

Thanks Paula, that's a great film! Glad it's being released by olive films so hopefully it'll be a great transfer. I agree re Joel mcCrea also, very solid in everything I've ever seen him in.
      Currently watching Night of the Grizzly on olive films on Blu ray.
      I must admit, it's the least impressive transfer of all the Olive film Blu rays I've watched to date but it's also the first one I have no direct comparison to check against.

Hey all! As I see Paula has already informed all about Olive Films releasing The Oregon Trail and this is true! Through my research at the Library Of Congress they have a copy also but Olive has obtained a copy and they are very well known (as a few have already mentioned) for their beautiful restoration versions. I own all the current Duke titles from Olive and they are fantastic quality! This is great news that they will be doing the restoration work that I informed all earlier that I was told could be done at a large cost. I'm glad that Paula has updated you with this great news and now I'm back to the dungeon researching for the other lost films of John Wayne. Talk to you soon.
      P.S. I have been in contact with a collector in Denmark who says he has a print of Words And Music (1929) and am working on confirming this. Will keep you informed.

The post was edited 1 time, last by The Duke Is The Man ().

The Duke Is The Man wrote:

Hey all! As I see Paula has already informed all about Olive Films releasing The Oregon Trail and this is true! Through my research at the Library Of Congress they have a copy also but Olive has obtained a copy and they are very well known (as a few have already mentioned) for their beautiful restoration versions. I own all the current Duke titles from Olive and they are fantastic quality! This is great news that they will be doing the restoration work that I informed all earlier that I was told could be done at a large cost. I'm glad that Paula has updated you with this great news and now I'm back to the dungeon researching for the other lost films of John Wayne. Talk to you soon.
      P.S. I have been in contact with a collector in Denmark who says he has a print of Words And Music (1929) and am working on confirming this. Will keep you informed.

That is all fantastic news!
      I have to agree I haven't been disappointed with any of the Olive Films releases I have watched, maybe night of the grizzly was a little blew par but that was more to do with the content.

D'oh! (slaps self upside head)

I completely forgot to order these! Thanks for the reminder -- the order has been placed.

If anyone else still needs to order, the least expensive place is deepdiscountdvd.com. Their prices are the lowest for these four titles and they don't charge shipping.

Paula wrote:

D'oh! (slaps self upside head)

I completely forgot to order these! Thanks for the reminder -- the order has been placed.

If anyone else still needs to order, the least expensive place is deepdiscountdvd.com. Their prices are the lowest for these four titles and they don't charge shipping.

Thanks for the deep discount info Paula and I'm glad I've helped you in a little way by reminding you!

I wonder if the ship to the UK!

At the moment I have to order from Amazon and get hit so hard on import duty!

I've ordered one to test and it's fab I'll see how I can get the others.

The reviews are beginning to come in.

Here are reviews of the Blu-rays of Three Texas Steers, Red River Range and The Night Riders from DVDBeaver:

dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_re…_texas_steers_blu-ray.htm

dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_re…d_river_range_blu-ray.htm

dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_re…_night_riders_blu-ray.htm

Reviews of the Blu-rays of Overland Stage Raiders and Red River Range from DVDTalk:

dvdtalk.com/reviews/57037/overland-stage-raiders/

dvdtalk.com/reviews/57036/red-river-range/

Boy, my copies can't get here fast enough. Maybe they'll arrive today. :)

Paula wrote:

The reviews are beginning to come in.

Here are reviews of the Blu-rays of Three Texas Steers, Red River Range and The Night Riders from DVDBeaver:

dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_re…_texas_steers_blu-ray.htm

dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_re…d_river_range_blu-ray.htm

dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_re…_night_riders_blu-ray.htm

Reviews of the Blu-rays of Overland Stage Raiders and Red River Range from DVDTalk:

dvdtalk.com/reviews/57037/overland-stage-raiders/

dvdtalk.com/reviews/57036/red-river-range/

Boy, my copies can't get here fast enough. Maybe they'll arrive today. :)

Odd... the reviews (both DVDBeaver and DVD Talk) state the Blu-rays are Region A, yet my tests show them as region-free.

DVDBeaver and DVD Talk says Rio Grande is Region A, too, yet my test shows it as region-free. Blu-ray.com shows Rio Grande as region-free, too.

The DVD equivalents are definitely locked to Region 1.

Perhaps someone else could post their results for the Blu-rays.