Olive Films

There are 133 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 93,637 times. The latest Post () was by Durhamcowboy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Another March release from Olive (don't have the exact date yet). Not a John Wayne film but a John Ford film and definitely of interest to all here I'm sure. ;)

• Roughrider, you must be very busy these days updating your website. :)

Yes indeed, Paula. Olive Films kept me busy updating last night!

I can only blame you <g>.

I know it sounds crazy, but I just bought The Searchers HD DVD. I'm into the format a little late to say the least. But a player and a few boxes of films (still shrink-wrapped) cost about $2 per title.

Just another crazy film buff.

• THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT!

NO WAY! This is the one that Pappy wanted so badly to see and no one could find a copy for him. This, Wagon Master and one other were his three favorites as to actually accomplishing what he wanted to! HOORAY!
    Thanks Paula, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• From what I've read, John Ford wanted to hire Ben Johnson for a role in The Sun Shines Bright (I presume the John Russell one), ready to forget about that fracas on the set of Rio Grande.

But -- there are two different stories about why Ben was not in the film.

Version 1 (This is in Harry Carey, Jr.'s Company of Heroes) -- Unfortunately unbeknownst to Ben, who would have loved to work with Ford again, his agent demanded too much money and Ford hung up the phone and didn't hire Ben again until Cheyenne Autumn in 1964.

Version 2 -- Ben had taken 1953 off from movie-making to pursue the roping world championship (which he did win) and when Ford called about The Sun Shines Bright, Ben told him he couldn't make it, he had to be at a rodeo on the reporting date for the movie. Ford said, well, if he had somewhere more important to be, never mind, and .. Cheyenne Autumn 1964. ;)

• Here's the press release for The Sun Shines Bright.

FROM THE DIRECTOR OF “THE SEARCHERS” & “THE QUIET MAN”

FIRST TIME ON DVD AND Blu-ray™
    NEWLY REMASTERED IN HD

CHARLES WINNINGER
    ARLEEN WHELAN JOHN RUSSELL STEPIN FETCHIT
    THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT (1953)
    Directed by JOHN FORD (MY DARLING CLEMENTINE)
    PREBOOK 2/19/12 STREET 3/26/13

DVD UPC# 887090058100 CAT# OF581 $24.95srp
    BLU-RAY UPC# 887090058209 CAT# OF582 $29.95srp

John Ford's remake of his 1934 Will Rogers vehicle, Judge Priest, combines three Irvin S. Cobb stories about the kindly Kentucky magistrate William Priest (Charles Winninger). Set in 1905 Kentucky, it focuses on the judge's battle for reelection against Yankee prosecutor Horace K. Maydew (Milburn Stone). Despite the judge's popularity, it's possible that his generosity and sense of justice may cost him the election. First he tries to persuade the eminent General Fairfield (James Kirkwood) to admit that he's kin to Lucy Lee (Arleen Whelan), whose questionable background makes her a subject for ridicule. Next he faces down an angry lynch mob accusing a black man of a heinous crime - the frustrated vigilantes, dispersed by the gun-wielding judge, vow vengeance at the polls. Director John Ford, notoriously difficult to please, regarded The Sun Shines Bright as his favorite film. The film is filled with Ford’s typical low comedy and fine performances from the ensemble cast that includes John Russell and Stepin Fetchit.

1953 | B&W | 101 Minutes | Not Rated | 1.37:1 Aspect Ratio

John Ford and Merian C. Cooper’s Argosy Production “The Sun Shines Bright”
    with Charles Winninger and Arleen Whelan John Russell Stepin Fetchit
    Screenplay by Laurence Stallings Based on Irving S.Cobb’s Short Stories Directed by John Ford

THE SUN SHINES BRIGHT©1953 Melange Pictures LLC. All Rights Reserved.

• Well, Paula, I prefer to think that it was Son's agent's fault. Really too bad Ben wasn't in more Ford films. Too bad that Pappy didn't realize what his little tirade was going to cause in someone like Son. He lost Henry Fonda for years......but in the end, Hank remembered the good parts about Pappy and came back to the fold. Am into Son's book, but I will email the rest so as not to stray off topic. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I've read and heard a lot about The Sun Shines Bright, and have always wanted to see it. Looks like now's my chance!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Sorry if this is the wrong area for this question. I have contacted Olive films directly, but as yet they have not got back to me. So out of desperation I hope someone can help me, is The Quiet Man region free or is it, as I fear region locked. I have been looking forward to this release for ages, so if you can help a very anxious Scotsman I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

• Olive Films answered this question on their Facebook page on January 7:

Olive Films Region A for BD, Region 1 for DVD

This was brought up before, so I'm a little confused.

My Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player is region-free. However, unlike DVD, for Blu-ray I have to manually set the region through the remote. If I set it to region B and try to play, for instance, the US Criterion version of Stagecoach, the player warns me the disc itself is locked to region A. It won't play.

With the player still in region B mode, all of the Olive Blu-rays play fine.

If I remember correctly, Dooley in the UK said the Olive Blu-rays played fine in his region B player.

The DVDBeaver reviews, of course, say the Olive BDs are verfied as region A on the Momitsu player. This matches what Olive says.

But why would my player say they're region-free?

Dooley, if you're chiming in, could you or someone else please verify your results.

There must be many people in the non-region A world that have purchased Olive's Blu-rays.

Olive's DVDs are definitely locked to region 1.

Wikipedia states, "Unlike DVD region codes, Blu-ray region codes are verified only by the player software, not by the optical drive's firmware."

Because of this statement, maybe that's why my hardware-modified Blu-ray player interprets the region coding differently?

Other people need to chime in on this, since I think The Quiet Man Blu-ray will prove to be very popular internationally. But if it's truly locked to region A then some people will have to take other avenues.

• There is a thread on hometheaterforum.com about the Blu-ray region-coding of The Quiet Man.

<http://www.hometheaterforum.co…an-bd-release-01-22-13/60>

This is a quote from one user:

"It may be Region A locked because some other recent Olive BRDs have been. But don't go by what DVD Beaver says because according to him every Olive BRD is locked - and most of them are not."

Another user writes:

"I get most Olive releases and live in B land. They have all been A locked for a few months now."

I'm sure the above thread will get more posts since the Blu-ray is trickling to users in the mail.

I'll post my results in a few days.

I suspect Olive may have changed its Blu-ray authoring workflow to make region-coding more concrete and robust across various players. DVD region-coding is a no-brainer, whereas Blu-ray region-coding is more complicated it seems, very much dependent on the player's firmware. But done correctly, there should be no reason for variances among players.

Look at Rio Grande, for example. The site blu-ray.com says it's region-free, yet others say it's region A.

I really believe Olive Films has suffered growing pains with its Blu-ray authoring software and region-coding.

• I did some more tests with the John Wayne titles released previous to 2013 by Olive Films.

Using AnyDVD HD and the software players WinDVD and TotalMedia Theatre, all show the same results as my Oppo Blu-ray player: they're region-free.

Attached are some Blu-ray grabs of the errors produced by The Longest Day (Fox), North to Alaska (Soul Media), and Stagecoach (Criterion) when the region codes are set incorrectly.

No such errors with the Olive titles with John Wayne previous to 2013.

The post-2012 titles may be a different story, though.

• the oregon trail. Is this definetley the Duke version that we all want to see? Does anybody Know for sure?

• If Olive Films' allusions are correct, we should see The Oregon Trail soon.

I tested the latest batch of Blu-rays from Olive for region-coding: The Quiet Man, Frontier Horizon, King of the Pecos, and The New Frontier are definitely locked to Region A.

The pre-2013 John Wayne titles from Olive are region-free.

Even though all the artwork says Frontier Horizon, the actual discs (DVD and BD) show the film's original title in the credits, New Frontier. Like Republic Pictures, who renamed New Frontier (1939) to Frontier Horizon for television to avoid confusion with The New Frontier (1935), Olive Films has essentially done the same, except with artwork.

The Quiet Man BD has a funny, minor flaw: the single English-language audio track is reported as Polish. Someone didn't put in the correct language ID during authoring.

• Olive Films has announced some of their April titles -- two (so far) are John Wayne films: War of the Wildcats and The Fighting Seabees. I'm sure bigger versions of this artwork will appear soon.

• Info for War of the Wildcats and The Fighting Seabees:

War of the Wildcats (1943)
    Starring: John Wayne, Martha Scott, Albert Dekker, George 'Gabby' Hayes, Marjorie Rambeau, Dale Evans, Grant Withers, Sidney Blackmer, Paul Fix, Cecil Cunningham, Irving Bacon, Byron Foulger, Anne O'Neal, Richard Graham
    Director:
    Albert S. Rogell
    Genre:Blu-Ray, Westerns
    Year:
    Studio:
    Olive Films
    Length:
    102 minutes
    Release Date:
    April 23, 2013
    Rating:
    NR
    Format: DVD
    Misc:
    NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White
    Language:
    English(Original Language)

SYNOPSIS:
    When there’s a lovely lady in the middle, sometimes even ordinary business become complicated and dangerous.

Dan Somers (John Wayne), a rugged cowboy and Jim ‘Hunk’ Gardner (Albert Dekker), a prosperous oil baron, both fall head-over-heels for Catherine Elizabeth Allen (Martha Scott), a pretty schoolteacher. Vying for her attention, their battle spills over onto the oil fields of Oklahoma. Tension runs high and danger is at hand when Dan blocks Jim’s attempt to lease oil-rich Indian land.

A fierce and emotional battle breaks out on the frontier between supporters of the two men in this action-packed western comedy. George “Gabby” Hayes and Dale Evans also star in this one-of-a-kind western directed by Albert S. Rogell (The Black Cat).

The Fighting Seabees
    (1944)
    Starring: John Wayne, Susan Hayward, Dennis O'Keefe, William Frawley, Leonid Kinskey, Addison Richards, Charles Trowbridge, Duncan Renaldo, Grant Withers, Paul Fix, Alex Havier, Ben Welden, Frank Marlowe, George Magrill, J.M. Kerrigan, Jay Norris, Robert J. Wilke, Tom Steele, Wally Wales, William Forrest
    Director:Edward Ludwig
    Genre:
    Blu-Ray, Drama, Action & Adventure, Romance
    Year:
    Studio:
    Olive Films
    Length:
    100 minutes
    Release Date:
    April 23, 2013
    Rating:
    NR
    Format:
    DVD Misc: NTSC, Full Screen, Black & White
    Language:
    English(Original Language)
    SYNOPSIS:
    Director Edward Ludwig (Wake of the Red Witch) and his star John Wayne (Big Jim McLain) teamed up for the first time in this sprawling, action-packed saga with Wayne as the head of a construction company working at building military sites for the Navy during World War II. After suffering the loss of many men after a Japanese attack, Wayne heads to Washington and helps establish the "C.B.s" (Construction Battalions), units of armed builders.

The Fighting Seabees offers an entertaining combination of strong supporting performances by Dennis O'Keefe (T-Men), William Frawley (I Love Lucy) and ravishing soon-to-be-superstar Susan Hayward (I Want to Live!) with exciting big budget action sequences that turned this war and romance saga into a box office bonanza.