'Ole Nine Iron'

There are 23 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 14,090 times. The latest Post () was by Hawkswill.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hello everyone,

New guy Mark here. I must admit I'm new to forums and I don't Twitter or Facebook, so please excuse my lack of knowledge!

I'm a big 'Duke' fan but need your to utilize your expertise (I have to admit to joining another JW forum but have not heard back yet).

I need your help on an important date in Mr. Wayne's life - well, important because his daughter Marisa knocked him out with a golf club and hence was known as 'Ole Nine Iron'.
    Basically, this is the question... When he was filming Rooster Cogburn in
    Sunriver, Oregon, Marisa came to visit him. A certain website claims the date he was knocked out was October 12th 1974 but can anyone verify this with a newspaper cutting or indeed, knowledge of the rather unfortunate event.
    I did contact Marisa, who sadly could not remember.
    Can anyone help me...
    Thank you
    Mark Robins

• I have extended you a formal Welcome here

Hopefully one of our members can answer your question

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hello and welcome to the forum, Mark. I remember reading about that incident, but never heard the exact date, just "when" he was filming and that they actually had to increase the size of his eye patch to cover the stitches. Maybe another member here will have the exact date for you. Several of our members are huge collectors of Duke photos and clippings. Good luck in your search, and don't go being a stranger. Make yourself at home.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I saw the same thing in a couple of places as DukeFan1, (Mark). However, didn't find anything conclusive like a clipping, etc.
    So to YOU, Mark, welcome and hope you enjoy the group.
    Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Well what can I say.
    What a lovely welcome from you all!
    I can't tell you what a difference this site was from another one I encountered. I won't mention its name here but all I can say is my question was deemed too controversial and I was told... 'We are not in the habit of verifying other websites!'
    So thank you all for restoring my faith. I certainly found the right group of people - I hope you can help me in my rather strange request - it's almost becoming an obsession now. I love a mystery!
    Kindest Regards to all,
    Mark

• Well what can I say.
    What a lovely welcome from you all!
    I can't tell you what a difference this site was from another one I encountered. I won't mention its name here but all I can say is my question was deemed too controversial and I was told... 'We are not in the habit of verifying other websites!'
    So thank you all for restoring my faith. I certainly found the right group of people - I hope you can help me in my rather strange request - it's almost becoming an obsession now. I love a mystery!
    Kindest Regards to all,
    Mark

Mark,
    we are pretty sure which site you are referring to,
    we've all had run in's with that one,
    anyway welcome again to the friendly one.
    We do have a profile relating to Marisa,
    but there is no mention of it there either.
    Duke's Daughters- Marisa Wayne

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi Mark,

Well, I have found lots of instances of the reporting of Duke's accident in his attempting to give his daughter a golf lesson. One of the reasons instruction is better left to the golf pros. I was one myself in St. Louis and then at Mission Hills CC in the Palm Springs area. I believe I have a picture shows part of the injury over the eye patch before they gave him a larger one to hide the stitches, etal. Might not be, but it is certainly a bit curious looking. I will continue to search to see if I can find proof in the form of an article. I DO think Russ had a good idea, "It might be possible to contact Ethan Wayne @ Wayne Enterprises. He LOVES to correspond with fans about his dad, and this would be right up his alley." Especially if you tell him why you need the proof which is something I don't believe you let us in on, LOL!

But, I will keep looking.

HAGO, Keith

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: SP. ().

• Hello again,

Apologies for not telling you what my search was all about.
    Basically I purchased a signed letter of Mr. Wayne's. I collect autographs of 'Icons' who I admire (Marilyn Monroe, Bill Hicks, Queen, The Beatles etc.) and the date on the letter was October 12th 1974. I just happened to look up the date and one website stated this was the day Mr. Wayne was knocked out..
    http://luckypuppyoddfacts.com/TVMovies.html
    (See the picture of Marisa and Duke half way down)
    Anyway, I just wanted to verify this. Not a particularly exciting reason but once I start a quest I can't stop.
    Best
    Mark

• Hi Mark,

Am in contact with a couple of folks up that way that are doing some research for me. May get that for you yet, but won't promise, LOL!
    I will let you know when I hear back. Keith

Know what the quest is like.......now you have tangled me all up in THIS one!

• OK Mark, have exhausted all my resources, LOL. The best I can get for you is this. Nate and friends at the Bend, Oregon Public Library researched their archives and could not come up with a newspaper article. The best they could come up with was the mention of that date and the accident in a biography called Duke, the Life and Times of John Wayne, by Donald Shepherd, Rob Slayter and Dave Grayson. I THINK it was published March 1, 2002. You might contact them and see what their sources were. However, seems to me as if the date is probably correct. I believe that Duke only briefly lost consciousness. So, I am done. Hope that is enough for you. If not, you have somewhere to go from now. Have a good one, Keith

• Dear Keith,

Well, what can I say, you truly are the 'Columbo' of the web.

I can't thank you all enough for your input, I really appreciate it - along with your friendliness. I will contact the authors and see what I can get. If I hear anything I will be sure to let you know.

I tried to attach a copy of my JW autographed photo, which I thought you may like to see. Sadly the format is no good but the description is this...

Vintage matte-finish 8 x 10 photo of Wayne in an overcoat, signed and inscribed in blue ballpoint “Good luck Glenn. I’m really not this worried. Duke, John Wayne 1961.”
    According to the consignor, this photo originates from the Glenn ‘Frankenstein’ Strange estate. He met Wayne when he visited on the set of Gunsmoke in 1961, where Strange played a bartender on the show for years.

I did manage to attach the signed document that all this research stemmed from..., and I thought you might like to see.

I love the fact he signs Duke and John Wayne...

Will be in touch soon, in the meantime, best to all of you.

Mark

• Hi Mark, Well, glad you have something to go by now. OH, Nathan from the library called back....he had scanned the parts of the book....would you like them? Also, he says the book was written in 1985 and published by Doubleday....have too many notes about other projects on the same page, LOL!

Well, have a nice night, Keith let me know if you want the scanned parts of the book!

• Hi Keith,

I've just ordered a copy of the book from ebay.
    I may go as far as contacting the author(s).
    You and your contacts are brilliant!
    Best
    Mark

• LOL, there is only one page in the book on the event, but it wouldn't go through anyway. You should enjoy the book, though. Please let me know if you do, and I will put it on my "wish list" for better times, LOL!

As for my contacts..I traveled a lot, LOL! HAGO, Keith And hope you stay around. Would love for you to contribute in the Group Warch and Dukefan1's PICTURE GAME.

And this is the best site on the net for anything Duke related plus a lot of other celebrities, Movies, and even TV shows.

• Hi 'Again' all of you,

Just an update on the Marisa date issue.

I received a copy of the book - Duke, the Life and Times of John Wayne and although it does mention the golf club incident, it does not give a date.
    So, back to square one!
    With regards contacting Ethan Wayne - as was suggested by Keith (Hawkswill), does everyone agree that this is the best route now? It seems we really are at the last chance saloon (Apologies for the rather pathetic attempt at the cowboy humour).

Hope you are all well,

Thanks

Mark

• I do apologise. It was indeed you that suggested I contact Ethan. Please forgive my mistake - I really appreciate your help.

Best

Mark