Who knows the BEST web sites to buy Duke's OLD films(DVD's)....(Pre-1940)

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,421 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I am a HUGE John Wayne fan, and have a sizable DVD collection. I am missing several of the oldies...in particular the 1930's.....

Does anyone know of any good web sites that sell his films on DVD at REASONABLE prices?
    I have tried many and exhausted their Inventory, so if you know of any, please list ALL that you know, as i might have used them already.

This is a GREAT web site, and I only joined recently!

Best Wishes for the Holidays!

RTWGATOR (Yes....I am also a HUGE Gator Fan!

• Some of his thirties films are simply not available on DVD legally at this moment, but it would help us if you would tell what ones you are looking for.

His 6 Universal pictures have never been available on DVD, at least in region one. As for his Republic output for that decade, you are just going to have to wait like the rest of us for Olive films to release them.
    As for his 16 Lone Star/Monogram westerns, no one has of yet even bothered to do a proper restoration. So you best bet are those cheap multipacks that can be found everywhere.
    Warners however have done a decent job in releasing the 6 B westerns he did for them in 32-33, You can either buy two triple features or all 6 individually.
    His one feature with Buck Jones, I was lucky enough to get on an El Cheapo triple feature disc that I think has gone out of print.
    Sony on the other hand has released the one John Wayne film they had in their library on DVD years ago.

What it boils down to is that the Duke's 30's films are woefully represented on DVD, and despite the immense popularity the studios are not willing to take risks on restoration on films that are 80 years old at this point.

• The quality of that Buck Jones title you mentioned (Range Feud), on those el-cheapo compilations, is pretty bad from what I've seen. The labels have simply copied the official Columbia VHS and degraded the quality even more.

VCI Entertainment has a nice version available on DVD-R, culled directly from a 16mm Gail Pictures television print.

The other two Columbia westerns (Texas Cyclone and Two Fisted Law) were released on DVD by Sony, the latter in a compilation.

VCI's Range Feud can be purchased here:

http://store.vcientertainment.com/product/range_feud/739

• The quality is pretty bad, but considering I got it for less than 5 dollars and it came with 4 movies. The Worst thing about it is I think it's a single layer DVD that they foolishly tried to make hold 4 hours.

But I was unaware that they VCI has released a better copy. But I refuse by DVD-R as a matter of stubborn principle

• Welcome to the forum!

Yesterday MoviesUnlimited had released a PR about some Monogram western remasters. Visit http://jwayne.com/2012/10/31/j…eover-at-movies-unlimited for the list of movies that are available. The $14.99 for each isn't the cheapest but they are remasters from the source.