Duke's Poster Place- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 56 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 31,220 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Found them!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Mike has posted some really great pictures
    of his vast collection of posters.

However I felt that his thread was somehow tucked away!
    I have now moved it to the 'Comprehensive Work'
    sub-forum and made it 'Sticky,

Mike's Duke Poster Thread

At the same time I have seperated the discussion into it's own thread.
    This then will allow Mike to add, with the posters always remaining prominent
    instead of being 'shunted' down.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Good idea Keith to have separated this out as you say it gets lost otherwise!

MIKE

Thanks so much for posting these I appreciate how many hours of work goes into something like this, And What a great collection you have

I have written to paramount to enquire about

Hatari! Big game hunting without guns

Will let you know what they reply.

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Thanks Elly!

I guess if they'd had a copy, they would use it (DVD supplements). Then again,
    I have a featurette on EL DORADO and they didn't use it ...

Right now I'm taking pics of most of my LC's for a possible book project in Germany. I take the opportunity to post the stuff here, so be prepared for SOME ACTION !!

• Thanks Elly!

Right now I'm taking pics of most of my LC's for a possible book project in Germany. I take the opportunity to post the stuff here, so be prepared for SOME ACTION !!

I look forward to seeing them

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Look out for 2000 LC's....

Thanks for taking care of that thread! Yet I think folks here in this forum don't really care for
    that kind of memorabilia. But I'll continue anyway. A few are always interested and also
    that way that thread might be a good source for reference in the future...

I'll post THE ALAMO now..

• Hi Mike

Thank you so much! I love looking at these. You did not say what your book is about.

If it is showing your collection I would love to buy a copy when it is published thanks

• I am sooooo envious. That's a lot of great stuff you have there and we are glad you can share them with us.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi Mike

Thank you so much! I love looking at these. You did not say what your book is about.

If it is showing your collection I would love to buy a copy when it is published thanks

It is not my book. Two other German collector started it and I helped them out with the missing LC's...
    I'm not sure how good the outcome will be. As soon as I have a copy here, I'll post details, images etc...

• It is not my book. Two other German collector started it and I helped them out with the missing LC's...
    I'm not sure how good the outcome will be. As soon as I have a copy here, I'll post details, images etc...

Please do post details of the book it will be good to see what others collect.

And thanks again for putting up your pictures of your collection.

• Here is a previous poster link
    posted by our good member Popul Vuh

and the reply from Roy Short

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Oh yes, I am :)

Well I started collecting on Duke in 1980, I was 13 then.
    RIO BRAVO & HATARI! (along with VALANCE, SEARCHERS) have always been my favorites. Even until today the films he made not dominated (totally) by him are my favorites. He was best with Ford, Hawks, Hathaway. Later on it was really 'his' show only. Not that I do not like those other films, they are entertaining (but not much more besides most of the time). I like everything he is in (well almost. BARBARIAN, BLOOD ALLEY and certain others are hard to swallow, not his fault though).
    I didn't even posted all my HATARI! items :) Way too much...

• Mike is much too bashful about his many accomplishments. His documentary of Sam Peckinpah - "Passion and Poetry, the Ballad of Sam Peckinpah" is the final word about Sam's life and works. I've watched it many times and Mike's interviews are the most comprehensive and personal.
    His contributions to the ultimate coffee table book "Steve McQueen The Actor and His Films" (along with co author Andrew Antoniades) is the most well illustrated and written bio of McQueen. I know, because I've read them all.
    If any of you have interests in these areas, Mike is the Man.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Hi all, to compliment Lasbugas' great stills thread I thought we should have a central place for folks to post pictures of their posters, lobby cards, colour stills, press books etc., basically anything to do with the promotion of Duke's films.
    The only criteria is colour, so it sits nicely with the predominantly black and white sister thread.
    I'll start it off but this is a thread for all who have stuff and would like to share it with the rest of us.

Peter (Dooley)

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Dooley, mi amigo, you have some first rate memorabilia and the techno capability to post them. I salute you. Poor Lady Hawk has unsuccessfully tried to hammer some posting basics into my iron cast noggin, but I still am physically incapable of submitting any images. I promise to apply myself, because I have some good stuff that I would like to share. Nothing like Larry's or Mike's collections, but I do have some things of interest.
    This is a personal quirk, based upon nothing but Philistine ignorance, but the idea of lobby cards that are basically (badly) colorized black and white stills has always puzzled me. All the photos were originally shot in color film, so why would the studios tint them so badly?

They are highly collectible and I love them, but I can't figure out why the studios just didn't release color 8x10s to post in the theater. Most of the lobbies are 11x14s and contained an image along with the title and cast, but the color is often jarringly incorrect and downright shoddy.

If anyone has some input into the origin of these lobby cards, I would really be appreciative of any input.

We deal in lead, friend.