Why hasn't John Wayne yet been inducted into the "AFI Lifetime Achievement Awards" ??

There are 29 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 38,915 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• It's Jane Fonda day on Turner Classics. they are rerunning the AFI tribute to Fonda tonight at 10 pm (ct). I like their tributes and missed this one the first time it ran.

• TCM is rerunning The AFI LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: A TRIBUTE TO STEVE MARTIN this Thursday at 7 and 10:30pm(CT). I still don't think he deserves it but the AFI always puts on a good show and the clips I saw of it were funny. (unlike most of his films)

• TCM is rerunning The AFI LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD: A TRIBUTE TO STEVE MARTIN this Thursday at 7 and 10:30pm(CT). I still don't think he deserves it but the AFI always puts on a good show and the clips I saw of it were funny. (unlike most of his films)

I agree completely with you may. Check my post on May 21st 2013. I spoke with a woman from the AFI and she explained some things to me. Please excuse any mistakes keyboard is still dead and I am dictating this. Can you get a hold of Mona. I have a picture of a friend of mine and Leonard Nimoy when he interviewed him. Thought she might like it. Hi to all at JWMB. KP

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• " The AFI Life Achievement Award was established by the Board of Directors of the American Film Institute on February 26, 1973 to honor a single individual for his or her lifetime contribution to enriching American culture through motion pictures and television"

"The Trustees initially specified that the recipient must be one who fundamentally advanced the art of film and whose achievements had been acknowledged by the general public as well as by film scholars and critics and the individual's peers. The Trustees also specified that the work of the recipient must have withstood the test of time"

How did Jane Fonda, Shirley Maclaine, Jack Lemmon make this list. They were alive at the time must be it.They are all decent actors,but
    "fundamentally advanced the art of film" ??? That's the term I probably don't understand.
    Then they have to be alive?, so you get entertained that's the reward for watching it.
    John Wayne meets the letter of these two statements and wasn't put on because he was a conservative American and possibly because he died too early.
    Most of the people on the list, probably deserve it, but Steve Martin? I like him but how did he " fundamentally advance the art of film"?

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

Edited once, last by colkid60 ().

• Just a reminder that the AFI'S salute to Diane Keaton will air on TNT this Thursday, June 15 at 9 pm (CT). It will rerun on Turner Classics July 31.

For the life of me I can't think of another female to give it to except maybe (God forbid) Julia Roberts (in a few more years).