Sterling Price Photo Restoration Gallery ~ Scrape the mud off your boots B4 entering.

There are 69 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 42,398 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted,
    and I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people
    and I expect the same from them."

So ~ Listen up ~

Whichever one of you Texas "waddies" or Internet "brush poppers" it was out there
    that stole my "eye-patch" ~ I want it back and I want it back NOW!

"I know, a lot of guys make mistakes I guess,
    but every one we make ~ a whole stack of chips goes with it.
    We make a mistake and some guy don't walk away ~
    forevermore, he don't walk away."

~ ~ ~

"Well, there are some things a man just can't run away from."

~ and this sure as hell is one of 'em ~

~ ~ ~

"All battles are fought by scared men who'd rather be some place else."
    ~ and ~
    "This kind of war, you've gotta believe in what you're fighting for."

~ ~ ~

And just so all of you know that when I say ~
    ~ "Out here a man settles his own problems." ~
    I mean just that...

To me, that damned eye patch wasn't just an "eye patch" ~
    Hell, there were more than 60 of 'em made for me on "True Grit"
    because I asked for it and so's I wouldn't get an eye infection wearin' the same ones day after day.
    Hell, I ain't stupid and I know "they" knew that too ~
    so they pretty much gave me whatever I asked for ~

So ~ whoever you are out there ~
    "Every time you turn around expect to see me.
    'Cause one time you'll turn around and I'll be there,
    and I'll kill you, Matt."
    (Or whatever your Internet forum name is)

For me, that eye-patch was, finally, my only "E" ticket to the "Oscars".
    And like I said back in 1970 when I accepted that award ~

"Wow! If I'd have known that ~
    I would have put that patch on thirty-five years earlier"

~ ~ ~

And so, whoever you are and wherever you are ~
    do the "right thing" and return this beloved and memorable icon
    to the one who rightfully deserves it the most ~
    John Wayne ~ the "Duke" and/or at least ~ "Rooster Cogburn" himself.

DISCLAIMER ~ The foregoing somewhat semi-fictionalized characterization of what John Wayne (the actor) may or may not have actually said about his "missing eye patch" was only relayed to me by Rooster Cogburn's "Nephew" ~ "General" Sterling Price ~ which of course, is no relation to yours truly. Believe what you will from a mere "movie cat" ~ but I for one have every confidence in what "General Sterling Price" told me. And "Chen Lee" ~ Rooster's adopted 'Father' ~ will most assuredly back up everything I've just said.

And yes, of course I do know that Rooster's eye patch was over his "left" eye and not his "right" (aiming/shooting) eye ~ So, sue me ~ nothing in life is as it seems or is "perfect". If you don't agree, then by all means watch "True Grit" again and tell us which hand Rooster Cogburn first uses to "dramatically cock" and then fire his lever action Winchester and then which of his hands he uses to then fire his Navy Colt "6-Shooter" immediately "after" he charges through the onslaught of Ned Pepper and his gang?

"Cinematic Illusion" ~ the thing from which great movies and Oscar winners are made from.

• ~ Monument Valley without John Wayne is like a sunrise without the sun ~

Those poignent words penned above by JW are inscribed upon his grave marker
    and is a living testament to the man who was much larger than life.

~ John Wayne forever more will live on in all of our hearts and memories ~

• Spangler Arlington Brugh

~ aka ~

Robert Taylor
    1911 ~ 1969

A bit of trivia ~ As a young 27 year old in March, 1962 I had the rare opportunity to begin working part-time for this extraordinary man on his 112 acre Mandeville Canyon horse "ranch" in Los Angeles. He was an excellent rider and genuinely loved horses. Among other things such as being a wonderful husband and father and raising chickens, dogs and a small orphaned deer ~ he also bred and raised quarter horses for many years at this location. And what initially began for me as just a temporary part time "caretaker/ranch hand" job ~ eventually turned into an unforgettable and extremely rewarding 7 year association with one of the finest and most "gentle" of men I had ever known.

His estate, still referred to even to this day as the "Taylor Ranch" was finally sold at auction last December, 2012 ~ Below is a link to a number of recent photographs taken of the property just a few months before it was sold. The "tennis court" shown in the photos was once just a large fenced in dirt exercise yard for his prized stallion named ~ "Show Bars". Many other so called modern day "improvements" had been made over the ensuing years after his death and all of which, I know, that Mr. "T" would most definately never have approved of were he still alive. At least for the 7 years that I worked there ~ it was definately a "working" quarter horse ranch. We had 21 geldings, 3 mares, 2 colts, one stallion (Show Bars) and a pony named "Two-Bits" that belonged to his youngest daughter Tessa. Mr. T's personal horse was named "Tommy" and Mrs. T's horse was named "Bobby". Simple and unpretentious for two very extraordinay and famous people.

A few weeks after Robert Taylor's burial in June 1969, Bob's full time ranch foreman and I trailered Show Bars north to his best friend Ronald Reagan's 'small ranch' in Santa Barbara, California. Governor Reagan had delivered the eulogy at Bob's funeral and there wasn't a dry eye amongst any of the mourners who were there that day to say their final goodbye to this once very famous and beloved American actor. I sat next to Don "Red" Barry ~ a well known "heavy" in early western films and he sobbed almost uncontrollably to the point where I put my arm around his shoulder and I too silently cried along with him.

These kinds of old memories ~ one never forgets.

• Tommy Lee Jones

It is one thing to manipulate movie stills and call it "restoration", it is another thing entirely to manipulate existing copyrighted art work and put your name on it. While I have enjoyed your photo to art postings...as an artist myself I cannot help but be put off by you putting your name on Rick Timmons work....

From Artist Rick Timmons Web Site.....

[FONT=&quot]“Woodrow[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]24" x 30" Portrait in Oil”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.locogringostudios.c…ove-Woodrow-Portrait.html[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“All paintings, digital reproductions, and their rights, are proprietary property of Loco Gringo Studios - 215 N Walton St - Dallas TX 75244 - 972-897-8309”[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.locogringostudios.com/index.html[/FONT]

• It is one thing to manipulate movie stills and call it "restoration", it is another thing entirely to manipulate existing copyrighted art work and put your name on it. While I have enjoyed your photo to art postings...as an artist myself I cannot help but be put off by you putting your name on Rick Timmons work....

Thank you for your concern regarding this.
    We at the JWMB are always aware of copyright,
    and always strive, if possible to name the source of our
    information.

It is an issue that Sterling Price will need to address,
    and of course if any complaints of copyright infringement are received.
    we will have no alternative but to delete any offending images.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Both valid points which I hadn't even considered before. The Net is abolutely flooded with tens of millions of random images such as this and most of which the original artist/contributor is not even cited. Had I known about Mr. Timmons's web site and the body of original work he's created, I would never have included my own "interpretation" and posted it on here and for that I do apologize.

I will gladly remove this post and any other of my "restoration" posts that JWMB decides is not appropriate. Also, no "credit name" at all will appear on any future postings of mine

This is a wonderful web site and I certainly don't want to "muck" it up. Thanks once again to both of you for the heads-up.

• Both valid points which I hadn't even considered before. The Net is abolutely flooded with tens of millions of random images such as this and most of which the original artist/contributor is not even cited. Had I known about Mr. Timmons's web site and the body of original work he's created, I would never have included my own "interpretation" and posted it on here and for that I do apologize.
    I will gladly remove this post and any other of my "restoration" posts that JWMB decides is not appropriate. Also, no "credit name" at all will appear on any future postings of mine

This is a wonderful web site and I certainly don't want to "muck" it up. Thanks once again to both of you for the heads-up.

Thank you for your reply.
    We would also point out, that we are not suggesting you remove the images already posted,
    but rather you credit the work, if known,to the original artist/ photogapher.

I agree that we all use images from the 'net', but we are not editing them, and then claiming the work.

I think we just need to to clarify this in order to avoid any complaints or copyright issues.

Thank you for you support and effforts, and hope that you continue to be a valued member of this forum

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().