Pinned Civil War Movies- Index/Discussion

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.
       

    There are 32 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

    • Civil War Movies- Index/Discussion

      CIVIL WAR MOVIES
      INDEX

      5f55660c8995e4a2ae6b5fb3bf23a365.jpg

      Movies depicting action during the Civil War

      The Birth of a Nation (1915) D.W. Griffith (Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh, Henry B. Walthall )
      Operator 13 (1934) Richard Boleslawski (Marion Davies, Gary Cooper, Jean Parker)
      Of Human Hearts (1938) Clarence Brown (Walter Huston, James Stewart, Beulah Bondi)
      Gone With the Wind (1939) Victor Fleming (Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh)
      Virginia City (1940) Michael Curtiz (Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, Randolph Scott)
      Dark Command (1940) Raoul Walsh (John Wayne, Claire Trevor, Roy Rogers)
      Belle Starr (1941) Irving Cummings (Randolph Scott, Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews)
      They Died with Their Boots On (1941) Raoul Walsh (Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Arthur Kennedy)
      The Man from Colorado (1948) Henry Levin (Glenn Ford, William Holden)
      South of St. Louis (1949) Ray Enright (Joel McCrea, Alexis Smith, Zachary Scott)
      Rocky Mountain (1950) William Keighley (Errol Flynn, Patrice Wymore, Scott Forbes)
      The Red Badge of Courage (1951) John Huston (Audie Murphy, Bill Mauldin)
      The Last Outpost (1951) Lewis R. Foster (Reagan, Rhonda Fleming, Bruce Bennett)
      Drums in the Deep South (1951) William Cameron Menzies (James Craig, Barbara Payton, Guy Madison)
      Red Mountain (1951) William Dieterle (Alan Ladd, Lizabeth Scott, Arthur Kennedy )
      Springfield Rifle (1952) André De Toth (Gary Cooper, Phyllis Thaxter, David Brian )
      Hangman's Knot (1952) Roy Huggins (Randolph Scott, Donna Reed, Claude Jarman Jr.)
      Escape from Fort Bravo (1953) John Sturges (William Holden, Eleanor Parker, John Forsythe)
      Friendly Persuasion (1956) William Wyler (Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire, Anthony Perkins)
      The Great Locomotive Chase (1956) Francis D. Lyon (Fess Parker, Jeffrey Hunter, Jeff York)
      Quantrill's Raiders (1958) Edward Bernds (Steve Cochran, Diane Brewster, Leo Gordon)
      The Horse Soldiers (1959) John Ford (John Wayne, William Holden)
      Westbound (1959) Budd Boetticher (Randolph Scott, Virginia Mayo)
      How the West Was Won (1962) John Ford (segment "The Civil War") (John Wayne)
      Major Dundee (1965) Sam Peckinpah (Charlton Heston, Richard Harris)
      Shenandoah (1965) Andrew V. McLaglen (James Stewart, Doug McClure)
      The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (1966) Clint Eastwood (Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach , Lee Van Cleef )
      Alvarez Kelly (1966) Edward Dmytryk (William Holden, Richard Widmark, Janice Rule)
      A Time for Killing (1967) Phil Karlson (Inger Stevens, Glenn Ford, Paul Petersen )
      The Beguiled (1971) Don Siegel (Clint Eastwood, Geraldine Page, Elizabeth Hartman )
      The Blue and the Gray (1982) (TV) (Stacy Keach, John Hammond, Diane Baker )
      North and South (1985) (TV) Richard T. Heffron (Patrick Swayze, James Read)
      Glory (1989) Edward Zwick (Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington)
      Gettysburg (1993) Ronald F. Maxwell (Martin Sheen, Tom Berenger)
      Pharaoh's Army (1995) Robby Henson (Chris Cooper, Patricia Clarkson, Kris Kristofferson)
      Andersonville (1996) (TV) John Frankenheimer (Frederic Forrest, William H. Macy)
      The Hunley (1999) (TV) John Gray (Armand Assante, Donald Sutherland, Alex Jennings)
      Ride With The Devil (1999) Ang Lee (Tobey Maguire, Skeet Ulrich)
      Gods and Generals (2003) Ronald F. Maxwell (Jeff Daniels, Robert Duvall)
      Lincoln (2012) Steven Spielberg (Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones)

      Comedy/ Light
      The General (1926) Clyde Bruckman, Buster Keaton (Buster Keaton, Marion Mack, Glen Cavender)
      A Southern Yankee (1948) Edward Sedgwick (Red Skelton, Brian Donlevy, Arlene Dahl)
      Advance to the Rear (Company of Cowards?) (1964) George Marshall (Glenn Ford, Stella Stevens, Melvyn Douglas)
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

      The post was edited 158 times, last by ethanedwards ().

    • Civil War Movies- Discussion

      We have formed this new sub-forum,
      so that we can review and highlight
      the Civil War Movies.

      For sometime we have have pondered over
      whether they are Westerns, War Movies or both!!
      It became clear, that what was required was a separate forum and here is it is.

      However where do we stop,
      and when do these movies indeed run into Western stories.
      So the criteria is, that the movie has to be during and about the War,
      not before, or after and not a separate story that is happening,
      whilst the war is raging elsewhere.

      If any members know of more movies and wish them added to the list
      please post them here
      Thanks for your support
      and hope you enjoy the new forum
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

      The post was edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      Josie Wales Eastwood
      Beguiled, Eastwood
      Blue and Gray TV in the early 80s
      The General- Silent Film from the 20s
      Great Locomotive Chase- same story as The General but done by Disney in the 50s

      There is a rather obscure 1954 move called "The Raid" with Van Heflin and a bunch of then young actors who would become stars. Anne Bancroft, Lee Marvin, Peter Graves, and Richard Boone were all in it. It is loosely based on an actual raid executed by escaped Confederate POWs on a town in Vermont called St Albans. Their intent was to rob banks and funnel the money into purchasing war materials for the South. They organized in Canada and came across and executed the raid. Canadian authorities arrested them when they recrossed into Canada and none of the money made it to the south. I have a very poor VHS copy of this mostly because my great-grandfather was one of the 25 Saint Albans Raiders.
    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      BatjacAuburn wrote:

      Josie Wales Eastwood
      Beguiled, Eastwood
      Blue and Gray TV in the early 80s
      The General- Silent Film from the 20s
      Great Locomotive Chase- same story as The General but done by Disney in the 50s

      There is a rather obscure 1954 move called "The Raid" with Van Heflin and a bunch of then young actors who would become stars. Anne Bancroft, Lee Marvin, Peter Graves, and Richard Boone were all in it. It is loosely based on an actual raid executed by escaped Confederate POWs on a town in Vermont called St Albans. Their intent was to rob banks and funnel the money into purchasing war materials for the South. They organized in Canada and came across and executed the raid. Canadian authorities arrested them when they recrossed into Canada and none of the money made it to the south. I have a very poor VHS copy of this mostly because my great-grandfather was one of the 25 Saint Albans Raiders.

      Thanks for these, we do have
      Classic Movie Westerns- The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
      but it is based after the War!

      We will include Beguiled
      as I wanted to review this before
      but as pointed out in my post
      it didn't fit into either of the previous categories
      We will also include The Raid
      which involved your great-grandfather
      who was in the real action

      However I will include all the others, thanks
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

      The post was edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      ethanedwards wrote:

      Thanks for these, we do have
      Classic Movie Westerns- The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
      but it is based after the War!

      However I will include all the others, thanks


      Down here we kinda roll the war and reconstruction together. As for the movie itself, at least the first 20 minutes is set while the war still raged in Kansas and Missouri. Up until the "they were decently fed and decently shot". And Lone Wadi said he never surrender, they took his horse and made him surrender.:wink_smile:

      Rio Lobo also spends a significant amount of time during the movie during the war while The Undefeated spends very little.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by BatjacAuburn ().

    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      BatjacAuburn wrote:

      Down here we kinda roll the war and reconstruction together. As for the movie itself, at least the first 20 minutes is set while the war still raged in Kansas and Missouri. Up until the "they were decently fed and decently shot". And Lone Wadi said he never surrender, they took his horse and made him surrender.:wink_smile:

      Rio Lobo also spends a significant amount of time during the movie during the war while The Undefeated spends very little.

      Batjac, thanks for your input on this,
      it is much appreciated.
      I have now edited into my post this
      However where do we stop,
      and when do these movies indeed run into Western stories.
      So the criteria is, that the movie has to be during and about the War,
      not before, or after and not a separate story that is happening,
      whilst the war is raging elsewhere.


      It is difficult, and as I mentioned one of the reasons
      these movies were not reviewed before.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

      The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      how about these ones

      birth of an nation
      Quantrill's Raiders
      Alvarez Kelly
      red badge of courage
      major dundee
      to appomattox a new tv mini series coming in 2013
    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      ringo kid wrote:

      how about these ones

      birth of an nation
      Quantrill's Raiders
      Alvarez Kelly
      red badge of courage
      major dundee
      to appomattox a new tv mini series coming in 2013


      Your mention of Quantrill also brings Dark Command into the conversation. Though fictional characters are involved, it mirrors the guerilla fighting in Kansas and Missouri during the CW.
    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      ringo kid wrote:

      how about these ones

      birth of an nation
      Quantrill's Raiders
      Alvarez Kelly
      red badge of courage
      major dundee
      to appomattox a new tv mini series coming in 2013


      Thanks for these,
      yes of course, Major Dundee,
      I have now moved that one.
      Red Badge of Courage
      is already listed.

      I will look at the others
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

      The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      Two more I can think about:

      Crossroads--ive seen it but cant recall anything about it cept it was Civil War.

      The Hunley w/ Donald Sutherland and Armand Assante. This is about the famed battle twixt the Merrimac and the Monitor.

      Also, Three TV series called:

      North & South book !
      North & South book II
      North & South book III.

      Ive seen the first two Norths and South--and they are excellent. They had among many--Patrick Swayzee and a long list of goods to greats ;-))
      Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..
    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      The Ringo Kid wrote:

      Two more I can think about:

      Crossroads--ive seen it but cant recall anything about it cept it was Civil War.

      The Hunley w/ Donald Sutherland and Armand Assante. This is about the famed battle twixt the Merrimac and the Monitor.

      Also, Three TV series called:

      North and South



      Carl I have North and South listed
      and will look at the other two
      thanks
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      Gary Cooper did one in the 30's called "Operator 13".


      THese were probably more Western than War, so I don't know if they count, but they took place in the war years; There was "Kansas Raiders" an Audie Murphy movie about the early years of Jesse James, Ronald Reagan did one called "The Last Outpost" about Confederates and Union Soldiers teaming up out west to fight Indians. There was also "Red Mountain" with Alan Ladd (another fictional story about Quantrill's Raiders) and "Rocky Mountain" with Errol Flynn. And of course there was "Virginia City" with Errol Flynn.

      The post was edited 2 times, last by ZS_Maverick: Spelling ().

    • Re: (NEW FORUM) Civil War Movies

      How about Pharoah's Army from 1995. I watched it a few years ago and thought it was pretty good. It starred Chris Cooper, Patricia Clarkson and Kris Kristofferson.

      Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "