Civil War Movies- Index/Discussion

There are 32 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 86,324 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• CIVIL WAR MOVIES
    INDEX

5f55660c8995e4a2ae6b5fb3bf23a365.jpg

Movies depicting action during the Civil War

The Birth of a Nation (1915) D.W. Griffith (Lillian Gish, Mae Marsh, Henry B. Walthall )
    Operator 13 (1934) Richard Boleslawski (Marion Davies, Gary Cooper, Jean Parker)
    Of Human Hearts (1938) Clarence Brown (Walter Huston, James Stewart, Beulah Bondi)
    Gone With the Wind (1939) Victor Fleming (Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh)
    Virginia City (1940) Michael Curtiz (Errol Flynn, Miriam Hopkins, Randolph Scott)
    Dark Command (1940) Raoul Walsh (John Wayne, Claire Trevor, Roy Rogers)
    Belle Starr (1941) Irving Cummings (Randolph Scott, Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews)
    They Died with Their Boots On (1941) Raoul Walsh (Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Arthur Kennedy)
    The Man from Colorado (1948) Henry Levin (Glenn Ford, William Holden)
    South of St. Louis (1949) Ray Enright (Joel McCrea, Alexis Smith, Zachary Scott)
    Rocky Mountain (1950) William Keighley (Errol Flynn, Patrice Wymore, Scott Forbes)
    The Red Badge of Courage (1951) John Huston (Audie Murphy, Bill Mauldin)
    The Last Outpost (1951) Lewis R. Foster (Reagan, Rhonda Fleming, Bruce Bennett)
    Drums in the Deep South (1951) William Cameron Menzies (James Craig, Barbara Payton, Guy Madison)
    Red Mountain (1951) William Dieterle (Alan Ladd, Lizabeth Scott, Arthur Kennedy )
    Springfield Rifle (1952) André De Toth (Gary Cooper, Phyllis Thaxter, David Brian )
    Hangman's Knot (1952) Roy Huggins (Randolph Scott, Donna Reed, Claude Jarman Jr.)
    Escape from Fort Bravo (1953) John Sturges (William Holden, Eleanor Parker, John Forsythe)
    Friendly Persuasion (1956) William Wyler (Gary Cooper, Dorothy McGuire, Anthony Perkins)
    The Great Locomotive Chase (1956) Francis D. Lyon (Fess Parker, Jeffrey Hunter, Jeff York)
    Quantrill's Raiders (1958) Edward Bernds (Steve Cochran, Diane Brewster, Leo Gordon)
    The Horse Soldiers (1959) John Ford (John Wayne, William Holden)
    Westbound (1959) Budd Boetticher (Randolph Scott, Virginia Mayo)
    How the West Was Won (1962) John Ford (segment "The Civil War") (John Wayne)
    Major Dundee (1965) Sam Peckinpah (Charlton Heston, Richard Harris)
    Shenandoah (1965) Andrew V. McLaglen (James Stewart, Doug McClure)
    The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (1966) Clint Eastwood (Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach , Lee Van Cleef )
    Alvarez Kelly (1966) Edward Dmytryk (William Holden, Richard Widmark, Janice Rule)
    A Time for Killing (1967) Phil Karlson (Inger Stevens, Glenn Ford, Paul Petersen )
    The Beguiled (1971) Don Siegel (Clint Eastwood, Geraldine Page, Elizabeth Hartman )
    The Blue and the Gray (1982) (TV) (Stacy Keach, John Hammond, Diane Baker )
    North and South (1985) (TV) Richard T. Heffron (Patrick Swayze, James Read)
    Glory (1989) Edward Zwick (Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington)
    Gettysburg (1993) Ronald F. Maxwell (Martin Sheen, Tom Berenger)
    Pharaoh's Army (1995) Robby Henson (Chris Cooper, Patricia Clarkson, Kris Kristofferson)
    Andersonville (1996) (TV) John Frankenheimer (Frederic Forrest, William H. Macy)
    The Hunley (1999) (TV) John Gray (Armand Assante, Donald Sutherland, Alex Jennings)
    Ride With The Devil (1999) Ang Lee (Tobey Maguire, Skeet Ulrich)
    Gods and Generals (2003) Ronald F. Maxwell (Jeff Daniels, Robert Duvall)
    Lincoln (2012) Steven Spielberg (Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field, Tommy Lee Jones)

Comedy/ Light
    The General (1926) Clyde Bruckman, Buster Keaton (Buster Keaton, Marion Mack, Glen Cavender)
    A Southern Yankee (1948) Edward Sedgwick (Red Skelton, Brian Donlevy, Arlene Dahl)
    Advance to the Rear (Company of Cowards?) (1964) George Marshall (Glenn Ford, Stella Stevens, Melvyn Douglas)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 158 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• We have formed this new sub-forum,
    so that we can review and highlight
    the Civil War Movies.

For sometime we have have pondered over
    whether they are Westerns, War Movies or both!!
    It became clear, that what was required was a separate forum and here is it is.

However where do we stop,
    and when do these movies indeed run into Western stories.
    So the criteria is, that the movie has to be during and about the War,
    not before, or after and not a separate story that is happening,
    whilst the war is raging elsewhere.

If any members know of more movies and wish them added to the list
    please post them here
    Thanks for your support
    and hope you enjoy the new forum

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Josie Wales Eastwood
    Beguiled, Eastwood
    Blue and Gray TV in the early 80s
    The General- Silent Film from the 20s
    Great Locomotive Chase- same story as The General but done by Disney in the 50s

There is a rather obscure 1954 move called "The Raid" with Van Heflin and a bunch of then young actors who would become stars. Anne Bancroft, Lee Marvin, Peter Graves, and Richard Boone were all in it. It is loosely based on an actual raid executed by escaped Confederate POWs on a town in Vermont called St Albans. Their intent was to rob banks and funnel the money into purchasing war materials for the South. They organized in Canada and came across and executed the raid. Canadian authorities arrested them when they recrossed into Canada and none of the money made it to the south. I have a very poor VHS copy of this mostly because my great-grandfather was one of the 25 Saint Albans Raiders.

• Thanks for these, we do have
    Classic Movie Westerns- The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
    but it is based after the War!

We will include Beguiled
    as I wanted to review this before
    but as pointed out in my post
    it didn't fit into either of the previous categories
    We will also include The Raid
    which involved your great-grandfather
    who was in the real action

However I will include all the others, thanks

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Thanks for these, we do have
    Classic Movie Westerns- The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
    but it is based after the War!

However I will include all the others, thanks

Down here we kinda roll the war and reconstruction together. As for the movie itself, at least the first 20 minutes is set while the war still raged in Kansas and Missouri. Up until the "they were decently fed and decently shot". And Lone Wadi said he never surrender, they took his horse and made him surrender.:wink_smile:

Rio Lobo also spends a significant amount of time during the movie during the war while The Undefeated spends very little.

• Down here we kinda roll the war and reconstruction together. As for the movie itself, at least the first 20 minutes is set while the war still raged in Kansas and Missouri. Up until the "they were decently fed and decently shot". And Lone Wadi said he never surrender, they took his horse and made him surrender.:wink_smile:

Rio Lobo also spends a significant amount of time during the movie during the war while The Undefeated spends very little.

Batjac, thanks for your input on this,
    it is much appreciated.
    I have now edited into my post this

However where do we stop,
    and when do these movies indeed run into Western stories.
    So the criteria is, that the movie has to be during and about the War,
    not before, or after and not a separate story that is happening,
    whilst the war is raging elsewhere.

It is difficult, and as I mentioned one of the reasons
    these movies were not reviewed before.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• how about these ones

birth of an nation
    Quantrill's Raiders
    Alvarez Kelly
    red badge of courage
    major dundee
    to appomattox a new tv mini series coming in 2013

• Your mention of Quantrill also brings Dark Command into the conversation. Though fictional characters are involved, it mirrors the guerilla fighting in Kansas and Missouri during the CW.

• Thanks for these,
    yes of course, Major Dundee,
    I have now moved that one.
    Red Badge of Courage
    is already listed.

I will look at the others

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Two more I can think about:

Crossroads--ive seen it but cant recall anything about it cept it was Civil War.

The Hunley w/ Donald Sutherland and Armand Assante. This is about the famed battle twixt the Merrimac and the Monitor.

Also, Three TV series called:

North & South book !
    North & South book II
    North & South book III.

Ive seen the first two Norths and South--and they are excellent. They had among many--Patrick Swayzee and a long list of goods to greats ;-))

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Carl I have North and South listed
    and will look at the other two
    thanks

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Gary Cooper did one in the 30's called "Operator 13".

THese were probably more Western than War, so I don't know if they count, but they took place in the war years; There was "Kansas Raiders" an Audie Murphy movie about the early years of Jesse James, Ronald Reagan did one called "The Last Outpost" about Confederates and Union Soldiers teaming up out west to fight Indians. There was also "Red Mountain" with Alan Ladd (another fictional story about Quantrill's Raiders) and "Rocky Mountain" with Errol Flynn. And of course there was "Virginia City" with Errol Flynn.

Edited 2 times, last by ZS_Maverick: Spelling ().

• How about Pharoah's Army from 1995. I watched it a few years ago and thought it was pretty good. It starred Chris Cooper, Patricia Clarkson and Kris Kristofferson.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Actually, The Great Locomotive Chase was a different deal than from The General. Its a story about Andrew's Raiders as opposed to just dealing with a stolen train.

• Carl I have North and South listed
    and will look at the other two
    thanks

Thanks, I just saw it when rereading your first post ;-)) I can come up with more like:

Springfield Rifle, Rocky Mountain, and gimme time, ill come up with more.