3:10 to Yuma (2007)

There are 113 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 46,254 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• the original's a great film. only hope this one is well made. peter fonda was on a local radio show pluging the film. he sounds like he took way too many drugs in the 60's:stunned:

For some reason I don't know what you mean!!!

Hehehehe!!!!

Also, I wanted to add that the rating on the film is "R" . So it must either be bloody or swearing or both.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Crowe is my favorite actor working today and I believe the best actor working also. I'm counting the day till it opens.

http://christian-bale.org/?p=227#more-227

You both played Americans before but were you surprised to be asked to star in a Western?

Christian Bale: “Not for a second, no (laughing).”

Russell Crowe: “Yeah, no, didn’t surprise me. I had spent quite a bit of time with James Mangold about six years ago. I didn’t realize that he was spending… I was recording an album in the studio at the time [he was] prepping Walk the Line. I didn’t realize that at the time, but we sort of became conversational friends and so when he sent me the script I read it. I enjoyed the dynamic between the two characters and that was basically the decision made.”

Russell, you’re known as an actor who does a lot of research and prep for period roles. What’s the real story of the level of work that you put into these things?

Russell Crowe: “Well, I think that we should decide not to talk about preparation just this once because then it all just becomes about preparation and not about the movie. The thing is that I was working on another movie right up to this and then promoting another film in Europe, and so I didn’t really do that much preparation. But as you might know I have a working farm and so there were a lot of things on this movie that are just part of my day to day.”

Would it be okay to ask if there was anything from the last Western that you did, The Quick and The Dead, that also applied here? That was a much more stylized Western.

Russell Crowe: “Yeah, but I had the good fortune of working with a guy called Thell Reed who was an armorer at a point in my life where I’d never even touched a handgun before. He sort of utilized that and put a lot of information in my head because he didn’t have to get past things that my dad had taught me incorrectly, or my uncles had taught me badly as he finds with a lot of American actors when he works with period guns. So it was just a matter of taking that same information, refreshing it in my mind, and then changing the style of how this particular guy killed people.”

Can you talk about filming in New Mexico, filming on location, and working together?

Russell Crowe: “You’ve been silent for a while, Batman. I’m going to do that all day, man.”

Christian Bale: “I was kind of guessing that was going to happen (laughing). New Mexico, when I think about it I don’t have any recollections of Santa Fe particularly, but the canyons and being out in the high desert, that was nice. Just being out riding your horses and shooting your guns, that’s a lot of fun.”

Russell Crowe: “It was really cold.”

Christian Bale: “It got to be bloody freezing, especially some of the night shoots.”

Russell Crowe: “Just terrifyingly cold.”

Christian Bale: “Then we had like the worst winter storm in recorded history come in.”

Russell Crowe: “We were surrounded by four and a half feet of snow doing scenes where were talking about the drought. It was one of those sort of movie experiences.”

Christian Bale: “Right, yeah (laughing). And he was just a real bastard to work with.”

Russell Crowe: “Peter Fonda started something that I think that SAG should pick up on. One day he actually said that he couldn’t act in period costume on location below thirteen degrees.”

Christian Bale: “Which is superb. I’m having that put in my contracts from now on.”

Russell Crowe: “Yeah. I reckon that SAG should work on it because I reckon that you shouldn’t do Shakespeare in a drafty hall in tights below, say, eight degrees. There should be a whole scale.”

Christian, you had just come from a really uncomfortable location before this, shooting in the jungle for Rescue Dawn. Was that more uncomfortable than this one or was this one more challenging?

Christian Bale: “I kind of like movies where I get to just be dirty and crawling in the mud. With Rescue Dawn it was all that primordial stuff, and with this one it was all about wearing the same clothes day after day and getting sweaty and dirty exposure to the sun. It’s meant to be like that. Westerns are meant to be dirty. They shouldn’t be all nice and clean. I like getting my hands dirty.”

Russell, did you like the fact that the bad boy had a conscience? Was that appealing to you at all?

Russell Crowe: “I didn’t really read it that way.”

How did you read it then?

Russell Crowe: “He’s just very efficient at surviving whatever situation he’s in. I mean, the end result is an example of that. Obviously, that group of men that he’s gathered together are probably a little dangerous now and so [spoiler deleted]…”

Your character gets away after whistling for his horse to come. How would you explain that special relationship between a horse and its rider?

Russell Crowe: “Well, I’m an absolute horse lover so that’s a very complex and long answer in its full sense. But I’ve always found that, even from the time of being a little kid, that just like people, there are some horses that you sort of have a deep connection with immediately and you can work on that over time. I’ve found over the years that for me it’s the antithesis of some other people’s thought processes. The gentler you are and the more constant you are with the horse, the deeper that connection gets. It’s funny though, doing these sort of movies - and I’ve done a few with animals - because you get really close to them as the working relationship is quite intense working 10 or 12 hours a day for a number of months and so it gets hard to say goodbye.”

Russell, what made your character into such an animal?

Russell Crowe: “Well, there’s a history that’s talked about in the film and whether or not that’s the complete version of his life’s story is a different thing. You sort of assume all the experiences that an abandoned child might have and all the worst, all of those things will add up to where he is.

I think one of the important things is that because we had no history of Wade, we don’t know his future. We don’t know if he gets captured and all of that stuff, and so I was always taking the attitude that he was actually very successful at what he did and that was probably the fourth or fifth version of his quote unquote gang. And when they become too proficient, the gang members around him and the things that he’s taught them, that’s probably the time to clean the slate and move on and go and get himself another gang.

There’s a story in The Princess Bride where they talk about the Dread Pirate Roberts changing hands and that would go through my mind in terms of explaining him.”

Had you two met before and what sort of relationship did you forge on this film?

Christian Bale: “No, we had never met before. That’s all. Whenever people ask me what I was doing next and I said that I was going to be working with Russell, they would kind of look at me and go, ‘Oh, right, you’re going to be in for a tough ride with him.’ It was absolutely true (laughing). No. You find an awful lot, and I don’t mean to talk out of school, but a lot of actors sort of complain and wince and do everything to avoid actually getting on with the work, so it’s nice when you’re working with someone like Russell when you can just get to the point and you can have blunt conversations about the scenes and it just makes it easy. Obviously, he doesn’t have to be told what to do because he’s a bloody good actor and it’s a pleasure to work with someone as good as that.”

Russell Crowe: “Right from the first time that we did a reading I could see that he had a sense of humor and was very balanced about what the job is and all that sort of stuff. Once you’ve worn the cape it must be hard…”

Christian Bale: “This isn’t going to go away all day.”

Russell Crowe: “…keeping your feet on the ground. You can tell that there’s a lot of base jealousy coming from me about the fact that he gets to wear the cape.”

Christian Bale: “I bought him his own special rubber outfit.”

Russell Crowe: “Which I appreciated greatly.”

Christian Bale: “You’ll be seeing him in the meat district of Manhattan.”

Russell Crowe: “We found it very easy to get on. And some of the days, I mean we talked about Peter pulling up at thirteen degrees, but actually some of the days were minus fifteen. So it’s really nice to have an easy repartee when you’re trying to do complicated things in rough conditions.”

Christian Bale: “Even though your jaw can’t move because it’s too cold to talk.”

Russell Crowe: “The thing is that it was easy. The thing that I said to him on the last night when we were finishing up, I said to him that he’s all class. On a daily basis he was always ready. He’s got great questions. His choices with his weapons, the way that he approached the horse riding – it’s all good. From my perspective, to know that the guy you’re working with has put the effort in and has switched on and is ready to go, regardless of the conditions and the hours and all of that stuff, it just makes you feel like you’re in the right place.”

Christian Bale: “We were both a number of drinks down the line by that time, of course.”

Russell Crowe: “Which is also a good thing, being able to simply finish a days work and being able to have a regular conversation with a bloke over a beer without it being some big to do and breaking some sort of contemporary taboo like, ‘We don’t do that in Los Angeles.’”

Can you talk about working on the new Batman?

Christian Bale: “Russell is actually going to be in the new Batman movie, which is a big surprise that I want to reveal to everyone right now.”

Are you signed on to do The Justice League after the Batman films?

Christian Bale: “No.”

Russell Crowe: “What about The Green Lantern?”

Christian Bale: “No.”

Russell Crowe: “What about…”

Christian Bale: “No!”

Russell Crowe: “Come on, you look so good in a cape.”

• http://www.nypost.com/seven/09…siness/lonesome_trail.htm

LONESOME TRAIL
    H'WOOD HOPES TO ROPE IN VIEWERS WITH WESTERNS

September 3, 2007 -- Hollywood's banking on a new crop of Westerns to bridge the gap between this summer's $4 billion box office and the release of the end-of-year award contenders.

Four Westerns - "3:10 to Yuma," "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood - are set to hit theaters between now and December and at least two more are in the works.
    But the timing of the releases, including two during the traditionally slow month of September, suggests that Hollywood is hedging its bets when it comes to the latest Western revival.
    "There hasn't been any significant box office impetus for this in recent years," said Brandon Gray of BoxOfficeMojo.com.
    Only three Westerns have grossed more than $100 million at the box office since 1980, and aside from "Brokeback Mountain," none of the Western-themed films released since 2000 has touched $70 million.
    Part of the reason is because Westerns generally attract low returns overseas compared with their domestic gross. For most films, the international box office is typically larger than the domestic box office, accounting for upward of 50 percent of a film's total gross. But with Westerns the equation is reversed.
    For instance, Bruce Willis' "Live Free or Die Hard" earned 62.4 percent of its $354 million internationally. By contrast, the Kevin Cost ner's Western "Open Range," released in 2003, collected only $10 million, or 14.6 percent, of its $68 million gross from overseas markets.
    Even "Unforgiven," the 1992 Best Picture winner directed by Clint Eastwood, saw its international box office sales account for just 36.4 percent, or $58 million, of its overall $159 million gross.
    While the hope is that international stars like Russell Crowe of "3:10 to Yuma" and Brad Pitt of "Jesse James" will help broaden their respective films' appeal overseas, their September release dates underscore how carefully Hollywood is treading back into Westerns.
    According to Gray, movie attendance typically dips this month so studios use it to release movies that aren't broadly appealing.
    That two Westerns are coming out within weeks of each other this month "suggests a hesitancy in the industry as a whole regarding the genre because so few have broken out, and those that have didn't perform well overseas," Gray said.
    Another sign of Hollywood's nervousness about the genre is the small production budgets allotted to the films, with sources saying "3:10 to Yuma" cost around $55 million to make while "Jesse James" cost roughly $30 million.
    Moreover, "3:10 to Yuma" and "Jesse James" have had their own scheduling issues. "Jesse James" has been sitting on the shelf since it was finished in May 2006. And Lionsgate had originally slated Oct. 5 for the release of "3:10 to Yuma" before pushing it up to Sept. 7. According to Tom Ortenberg, Lionsgate's theatrical film president, the studio didn't move up the release of "3:10 to Yuma" because of any problems with the movie but because it wanted to stand out from the pack of Westerns about to hit theaters.

• It will be interesting to see if any of the planned westerns make an impact when released.

If we get one western that is well made, exciting good storyline and full of action that makes it big at the box office it will open the floodgates.

Could westerns be the last genre of film that dont reply on special effects?

Mike

• Over at Rotton Tomatoes all the reviews are all excellent. I am defintely looking forward to this movie.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Came across this review of 3:10 to Yuma:

"John Wayne is crying with tears of joy because the Western is back!!! Screw the trite "wha-wha-wha's" and just let the six shooters do the singing. There hasn't been a Western this good since Tombstone and Unforgiven."

You can read the complete review here

• I loved it but I knew I would. The acting is great, not surprising. Crowe and Bale are just the best. There is very little swearing. Lots of people are killed but by today's standards it's not graffic. Lionsgate has money trouble so it's not getting the promotion it deserves. I hope people go to see it.

• I loved it but I knew I would. The acting is great, not surprising. Crowe and Bale are just the best. There is very little swearing. Lots of people are killed but by today's standards it's not graffic. Lionsgate has money trouble so it's not getting the promotion it deserves. I hope people go to see it.

From where I sit, there have been more promotions on this movie than I've seen in the last six months. Even Harry Potter's latest movie didn't have the exposure I've seen on 3:10. So I imagine a lot of people will go to see it. From the commercials, it looks pretty good!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• 3:10 to Yuma came in first at the weekend BO with $14.1 mil. The studio had hoped it would do $10. It's target audience of males over 25 usually don't rush to see a movie the first weekend it's released so that bodes well for the film. It cost $55 mil.

• I went to see it yesterday. And I gotta tell ya, don't miss seeing this on the big screen. It is extremely well made and keeps you into it through the whole film. There is never a dead or dull moment. Great stagecoach chase, awesome shoot-outs and great acting jobs all around make it a must see. Russell Crowe makes a great gunslinger!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• It's better than the original, which was rather boring and had too much talk. Crowe is excellent, his best performance since A Beautiful Mind. I hope the Jesse James film with Brad Pitt will be as good.

• I went to see it yesterday. And I gotta tell ya, don't miss seeing this on the big screen. It is extremely well made and keeps you into it through the whole film. There is never a dead or dull moment. Great stagecoach chase, awesome shoot-outs and great acting jobs all around make it a must see. Russell Crowe makes a great gunslinger!

Mark

i second that. saw it saturday. the only drew back are a few f bombs. for it's R rating.:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''