5 Card Stud (1968)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 17 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• 5 Card Stud (1968)

5 CARD STUD

DIRECTED BY HENRY HATHAWAY
      PRODUCED BY HAL B. WALLIS/ PAUL NATHAN/ JOSEPH H. HAZEN
      PARAMOUNT PICTURES

Photo with the courtesy of lasbugas

Information from IMDb

Plot Summary
      After a card shark is caught cheating, he is taken out and lynched by the drunkards
      he was playing against. Soon afterwards, the men who were in the lynch mob start being murdered,
      one after another; all by hanging.
      Who will be killed next and who is responsible?
      Is it one of the original party seeking to cover their accursed deed,
      or perhaps the mysterious Rev. Jonathan Rudd, who has recently arrived in town?
      Written by Alfred Jingle

Full Cast
      Dean Martin ... Van Morgan
      Robert Mitchum ... The Rev. Jonathan Rudd
      Inger Stevens ... Lily Langford
      Roddy McDowall ... Nick Evers
      Katherine Justice ... Nora Evers
      John Anderson ... Marshal Dana
      Ruth Springford ... Mama Malone
      Yaphet Kotto ... Little George
      Denver Pyle ... Sig Evers
      Bill Fletcher ... Joe Hurley
      Whit Bissell ... Dr. Cooper
      Ted de Corsia ... Eldon Bates
      Don Collier ... Rowan
      Roy Jenson ... Mace Jones
      Jerry Gatlin ... Frankie Rudd (uncredited)
      Joe Gray ... Cowhand (uncredited)
      Chuck Hayward ... O'Hara (uncredited)
      Robert F. Hoy ... Deputy Marshal Otis (uncredited)
      Louise Lorimer ... Mrs. Frank Wells (uncredited)
      Boyd 'Red' Morgan ... Fred Carson (uncredited)
      George Robotham ... Stoney Burough, Evers' Ranch Hand (uncredited)
      Hope Summers ... Customer in General Store (uncredited)

Writing Credits
      Marguerite Roberts (screenplay)
      Ray Gaulden (novel)

Original Music
      Maurice Jarre

Cinematography
      Daniel L. Fapp
      James V. King

Goofs
      Character error
      Al Dana refers to himself as a "simple town marshal" but the sign outside his office says he is a U.S. Marshal.

Continuity
      When Nick is shot and dumped into the grave there is blood on his upper body, but there is no blood or bullet hole visible on his shirt.

In the scene where Van Morgan and the Reverend Rudd are shooting at the wind mill they empty their guns. The next scene shows them reloading both weapons. The revolvers had swing out cylinders. Later in the gunfight in town, when they reload their pistols, they are now using Colt Peacemakers that have a loading port to the right side of the cylinder.

In the church scene when The Rev. Jonathan Rudd meets Nick Evers, the Reverend collects four hymnals from the benches, placing the spine of the books in his right hand. The books then flip over with the spines in his left hand. At the end of the conversation, the stack of books flip back over with the spines in his right hand.

When Van Morgan is playing poker in the opening scene he has a shirt on with two pockets that button down. The next morning after he crawls into town after being hit on the head the night before he has on a shirt with one pocket.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Location
      Durango, Mexico
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

• Re: (New Review) Classic Movie Westerns- 5 Card Stud (1968)

5 Card Stud is a 1968 Western, released by Paramount Pictures.
      Directed by Henry Hathaway, the script, based on a novel by Ray Gaulden,
      was written by Marguerite Roberts, who also wrote the screenplay of
      True Grit for Hathaway the following year.
      The film features Dean Martin and Robert Mitchum.

Also look out for other Duke 'Pals'
      Denver Pyle, Jerry Gatlin
      Chuck Hayward, Boyd 'Red' Morgan

User Review
      Great murder mystery western, 27 February 1999
      10/10
      Author: Marta from United States

Murder mystery westerns don't come along every day, and while this one is kind of slow moving, it's still a great movie.

Dean Martin is cool and steady as the gambler who takes part in a game of 5 card stud that turns deadly. When he tries to stop the lynching of a cheating player, he's overpowered. Soon after the lynching, every one in the game is methodically murdered in the most inventive ways. One man is strangled with barbed wire, another is drowned in a flour barrel, etc. Dean spends the rest of the movie trying to figure out who's doing the killing.

While Dean is great, Roddy McDowall is fantastic as the sniveling brother of Dean's girlfriend. He's a mean, cowardly, lying weasel, and no one ever played a weasel better.

Yaphet Kotto is fine as the bartender, and Inger Stevens has a small, shining role as the local purveyor of tonsorial delights (a barber). Robert Mitchum comes into the film a little late; while he's straight and true as the scripture-spouting preacher who sweeps out the long abandoned church and begins hold services, you know he's hiding something.

All in all a fine film. Maybe a little too long; the whole movie doesn't amount to much more than enjoyable entertainment, but the actors and the acting in it are really worth watching.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

5 Card Stud is a 1968 Western, released by Paramount Pictures.
      Directed by Henry Hathaway, the script, based on a novel by Ray Gaulden,
      was written by Marguerite Roberts, who also wrote the screenplay of
      True Grit for Hathaway the following year.
      The film features Dean Martin and Robert Mitchum.

Also look out for other Duke 'Pals'
      Denver Pyle, Jerry Gatlin
      Chuck Hayward, Boyd 'Red' Morgan

User Review
      Great murder mystery western, 27 February 1999
      10/10
      Author: Marta from United States

Murder mystery westerns don't come along every day, and while this one is kind of slow moving, it's still a great movie.

Dean Martin is cool and steady as the gambler who takes part in a game of 5 card stud that turns deadly. When he tries to stop the lynching of a cheating player, he's overpowered. Soon after the lynching, every one in the game is methodically murdered in the most inventive ways. One man is strangled with barbed wire, another is drowned in a flour barrel, etc. Dean spends the rest of the movie trying to figure out who's doing the killing.

While Dean is great, Roddy McDowall is fantastic as the sniveling brother of Dean's girlfriend. He's a mean, cowardly, lying weasel, and no one ever played a weasel better.

Yaphet Kotto is fine as the bartender, and Inger Stevens has a small, shining role as the local purveyor of tonsorial delights (a barber). Robert Mitchum comes into the film a little late; while he's straight and true as the scripture-spouting preacher who sweeps out the long abandoned church and begins hold services, you know he's hiding something.

All in all a fine film. Maybe a little too long; the whole movie doesn't amount to much more than enjoyable entertainment, but the actors and the acting in it are really worth watching.
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

For me it was just Ok. Love the cast, but it seems to be written as if you can't figure out who the mystery killer is, when there's no mystery at all to it.

Nice Pics Larry and good write-up EK. Thanks to you both.

I watched this movie when it came out and I was 18 almost every night at the theater until I ran out of my school allowance, LOL!. Great pic for my later golfing bud Dino. Playing with it was a "Poker" movie that came out in '66, A Big Hand for The Little Lady. It was great also, and I couldn't imagine how Henry Fonda found the expressions on his face without truly "living it"......actually they were all above their average in this little movie. For those of you who haven't seen it, I hope you do.......but don't read anything with spoilers in it. This was needs to be seen "pristine"!

Peter found these for me, and I watched them twice for the first time in all these years this weekend. That, and quite a few others instead of working on my books and Scott Nollen's one, really put my head back on straight, LOL!
      Raring and ready to go again. Hi to all, KEITH
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE