Pinned In Memory of Chili Bill

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 39 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• Re: In Memory of Chili Bill

This is so sad to hear. I wish someone in his family were able to tell us sooner. I have a friend request from Will Brooks and wanted some info from you but just didn't get around to asking about it, now I know what it was all about. I really enjoyed his stories and his recipes he talked about on this message board. Knowing a lot of knowledge about Duke and his relationship was priceless. I know his stories were repeating and some of us were annoyed with his posting but I did find it charming from a kind old gentleman in his storytelling. My biggest regret is I never met this man in person. I knew I didn't have a lot of time but just didn't make it out there to see him. So that is my loss for sure. Thanks Kevin for the obit/tribute of our friend Chilibill. He will be missed as he have been for months now on this message board.

You know it seems a little more empty here now knowing of his passing.

Cheers :cool: Hondo Duke Lane

Woulda liked some of that famous chili from ole Chilibill.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote

The Irish Duke wrote:

Here's a link if you want too go back and take a look at some of his posts Sterling dukewayne.com/search.php?searchid=10171 Maybe we could name the off topic forum or something after him as a tribute

Robbie this your link doesn't seem to work!!

However here is Bill's thread.

Duke Stories
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

Thanks for that link Irish but unfortunately it doesn't open up for me. However, I was able to find William T. Brooks on YouTube where he had posted some videos about his association with JW and the 26 Bar Ranch. Wasn't able to find him in the member's list under any of the name's he'd been referred to as. Although, I did find that he was listed just above my name on the When Were You Born thread.

So, at one time it does now appear that I was the third oldest member on this forum, Chili Bill the second oldest and "Harold" holding the top honor as being the most "ancient" ~ at least until he too also abruptly stopped posting more than 5 years ago.

So, looks like now I might be the oldest critter on here. Funny sometimes how it is that we don't even find out about such things as an old friend's passing until well after they've taken their last ride West into the setting sun and the dust they leave behind has long since been settled back down into the ground.

When it's my time to go, I intend to mark a "Happy Trail" behind me so that when I do get to wherever it is I'm suppose to be ~ and I don't like it ~ I'll just turn around and go back to where I first started from in the first place, fix all the mistakes I've made in life and then ~ try again.

Sooner or later I know I can get it right.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sterling Price ().

Sterling Price wrote:

Thanks for that link Irish but unfortunately it doesn't open up for me. However, I was able to find William T. Brooks on YouTube where he had posted some videos about his association with JW and the 26 Bar Ranch. Wasn't able to find him in the member's list under any of the name's he'd been referred to as. Although, I did find that he was listed just above my name on the When Were You Born thread.

So, at one time it does now appear that I was the third oldest member on this forum, Chili Bill the second oldest and "Harold" holding the top honor as being the most "ancient" ~ at least until he too also abruptly stopped posting more than 5 years ago.

So, looks like now I might be the oldest critter on here. Funny sometimes how it is that we don't even find out about such things as an old friend's passing until well after they've taken their last ride West into the setting sun and the dust they leave behind has long since been settled back down into the ground.

When it's my time to go, I intend to mark a "Happy Trail" behind me so that when I do get to wherever it is I'm suppose to be ~ and I don't like it ~ I'll just turn around and go back to where I first started from in the first place, fix all the mistakes I've made in life and then ~ try again.

Sooner or later I know I can get it right.

Thanks for posting this, and of course this is a very valid point.
      Although members post when they're born,
      they obviously can't post, that they're longer with us.

Unless we're told of course, we will not know!

In the case of Chillbill, if not for Mr. & Mrs. Chester- Jim & Sue,
      we may be none the wiser!

Also regarding Harold,, it doesn't bode well!!

I guess maybe you maybe the oldest critter!!
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

I had been in contact with a Bill a few times over the years myself, away from the JWMB I mean. Emailing, snail mailing, and what not. He was one of the nicest fellas I've ever met. Always had a free moment to talk about John Wayne or the 26 Bar, or living in the west. He was great to visit with. My only regret is that I never made it back back down there to see him. Our conversations sort of dried up back in January, and you all know how I am about staying in touch. Just goes to show that you never know if that last conversation you have with a friend (and I considered Bill my friend, and I like to think he felt the same about me) will be your last. I'm sure gonna miss ya Bill.
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

I just saw about Chilibill's passing today and felt a tremendous loss. I felt he was a friend and had some conversations with him on personal posts. He seemed very nice and his stories are to die for about Duke. Hopefully he's up there with Duke having some of Duke's chili. He will be missed. R.I.P. Bill.
      Cheers - Jay:beer:
      "Not hardly!!!"

With regard to Chili Bills posts, such as his many stories and such, I think most of them were links to pages on his own website where he had already posted photos and stories. Unfortunately, that website (26bar something or other.com) has been closed and none of the pages exist. I even checked the cached pages, but to no avail. That being said, however, I do have a solution. Several years ago (approximately 2007 or 2008), my big brother Jess copied each and every page from Chili Bill's website onto a disc for me, and I found that disc! Therefore, I have Chili Bill's entire website. Every story, every photo (including photos and story of Chester and Mrs. Chester visiting the 26 Bar!). I have spent the entire day trying to piece together all those pages (over 300 so far, with almost 300 more to go). The thing is, however, what to do with them?

As we all know, Bill had a ton of stories. Many of them are undoubtedly true, some of them are questionable (we all know Bill liked to "embellish" from time to time), and some are, well, um, I think you know what I mean. I am debating putting them up on my John Wayne website in a dedicated page, called "Chili Bill's 26 Bar Stories" or something similar. I will essentially leave his stories alone and post them pretty much the way he originally did. I will edit them for grammar and spelling, and I will exclude duplicate photos. I may even merge similar stories together into one story just to keep the flow of the stories together. The main thing I want to do, though, is memorialize Bill by getting some (if not most) of his stories back out there, as there were many folks, myself included, who simply enjoyed listening to Bill. He was far from perfect, and he could be cantankerous at times, but he was my friend, our friend, and I think he would appreciate it.

Hopefully, I am not going to overwhelm myself with project, as it is becoming pretty obvious that it will be a tall order, but I am going to try. I'll keep you all updated as things progress.
      Bob
      "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Hi Bob,

Don't know about yours, but my website host has unlimited websites for me. Maybe you could just transfer everything to a new website. Then you could put links to it out there......just an idea. You are great to be doing this. I cannot imagine why his son, (guess that was what happened), closed his site. Shoot, maybe he is planning on getting a book put together?

With your health, you have a LOT on your plate right now........DON'T PUSH IT, Please. Be glad to help if I can...just let me know.

You are right, he certainly could be cantankerous at times, but most of the time......he just wanted to tell his stories. And that is something he was VERY GOOD at. Let me know and take it slow, KEITH
      God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Oh, I'll be taking it slow. In fact, I can't do much else! Every time I try to do something, I end up getting in trouble. Lol! But Oh well, it is what it is. I have been spending a lot of time outside "supervising" and when I get tired out, I come in and work on Chili Bill's stuff. I never dreamed he had so much up on his website! But I am determined to get this done and get it done right. I really liked Bill, and I want to do right by him (although it will be hard at times because some of his stuff is duplicated throughout different pages, and will require some condensing - Chili Bill, Reader's Digest Style!), and something that he would have been proud of. We'll see. So far I have over 400 pages and close to 500 photos, and I am less than 2/3's of the way through the whole thing!

The Irish Duke wrote:

I love that your doing something to keep Bill's memory going Bob, like Keith said if you need any help you only need to ask

Thanks Irish! Right now, I think the biggest hurdle is getting all the webpages of his site sorted out and to see just what I've got, and then I need to figure out how to format them and what presentation to use. I would like to have each of the stories accessible via an index of sort. I currently use weebly to host my website, and they offer several different templates to use. Right now I am leaning somewhat toward a blog like template as it will have a way to include an index on the sidebar. This way, readers will be able to access any of the stories by simply clicking on the title in the index section on the sidebar. At least that is what I am thinking right now. I'll tell ya though, getting all of this sorted is by far the most time consuming part of this project. Of course, as I do this, I get to listen to John Wayne soundtracks, so I really can't complain!
    • I commend your efforts, but have you reached out to Bill's family, maybe his son about doing this? They may find comfort in knowing Bill had shared all this online.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Forum Runner
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com