Pearl Harbor Day

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,094 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• pearl-harbor-day.jpg

75 years ago 2,403 Americans were killed in the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Territory. The attack caused the United States to officially enter World War II. The attack was carried out by Japan as a preventative measure to stop the US Pacific Fleet from interfering with Japanese war efforts in Southeast Asia. Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japan also attacked US-held Philippines, Guam, and Wake Island. Roosevelt described the attack the following day, saying, "Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan."December 7 officially became a day of remembrance recognized by Congress on August 23, 1994, but not a federal holiday. It is observed by lowering the flag to half-staff. Here are powerful photos of the aftermath of the attack.

The front page of the New York World Telegram with the headline, "1500 dead in Hawaii," referring to the Japanese air attack at Pearl Harbor on the Hawaiian island of Oahu. (Express/Express/Getty Images).

Via: https://www.google.com/amp/hea…oric-photos-pictures/amp/

• I watched a special on this the other night and it was incredibly emotional to see some of the few survivors talk about it with such raw expression. It really goes to show you that not everything that people do to you is heal-able. Some things you can't take back, even as a country. Considering the glee the Japanese took in this cowardly sneak attack, it's easy to see why many survivors still have hard feelings for them.

• Interesting thing here: amongst all of the ceremonies for the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor day, there was a concert which featured close to 30?? high school and middle school marching bands, choirs, and color guards from schools all across America. Oddly enough, the marching band from my highschool went! They were in Hawaii at all of the ceremonies last week! Unfortunately, though I am very active in the school music department, I am in the choir and music honor society, but not band, so I did not get to go on the trip. (It would've been cool though!)

If anyone is interested, a video of this ceremonies is available online (Youtube) but I will warn that, truthfully, the quality of the concert is not the greatest and the audio at times is a little rough, but it's still very sweet and touching. Many Pearl Harbor vets are featured.

• End of an era RIP

Lauren Bruner who died in his sleep Sept. 10 at age 98, will be the 44th and final crew member to be interred at the site, a decision he made nearly 30 years ago.

La Mirada man is last Pearl Harbor survivor interred at USS Arizona - Los Angeles Times