What is the earliest John Wayne memory you have?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 5 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• What is the earliest John Wayne memory you have?

Hey gang,

Whats the earliest memory of John Wayne that you can remember? The first time you became aware of the Duke.

My first early memory was True Grit on tv. This would have been back in the 1970's when you would've watched the movie of the week on the major networks. I remember watching it with my Dad, probably one of those weekend movie specials. I was under 10 yrs old.

What's yours?
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com

Hey gang,

Whats the earliest memory of John Wayne that you can remember? The first time you became aware of the Duke.

My first early memory was True Grit on tv. This would have been back in the 1970's when you would've watched the movie of the week on the major networks. I remember watching it with my Dad, probably one of those weekend movie specials. I was under 10 yrs old.

What's yours?
      Yours is exactly as mine. My dad had a grand fondness for John Wayne. If memory serves me it was the very early 70's around Thanksgiving. My dad was watching True Grit and he told me to come in and watch a scene. He said, " Son watch this. Watch this." Of course it was the face off near the end when Rooster leans back offended from being called " a one eyed fat-man" and exclaims, " Fill your hands you sonofab*tch!" My dad just slapped his leg in laughter as I watched Rooster charge the three outlaws and out shoot them...well...with a little help from Glenn Campbell (Still hate that Campbell's character got killed). But anyway I watched the film from there and was instantly hooked. That period would time stamp me around first or second grade, so John Wayne was one of my first male role models. He has survived all these years to be one of my only today...especially in this day and age. Have to throw Clint in there too. I think Wayne would VERY proud of the way Clint has stood his ground.
    • I was 15 and went to the Drive In with friends to see The Shootist. Hooked me right there. I was always sorry I came to be a fan too late to see other films of his on the big screen. I more than made up for it on TV, Tapes and DVD's through the years, though.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • I'm bumping this thread since we have several new members onboard that might want to join in and let us know thier first time seeing a Duke movie.

So What is the earliest John Wayne memory you have?
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com