TV Shows: What is your current favorite(s)?

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,896 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Well for a long time I just didn't watch much, if any, TV besides ESPN especially on the major US networks, ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX. But I have found myself locked in to a few this shows this season. Figured I'd post my current watches and see what others here are watching.

I'm really liking the following:

Designated Survivor

p12906648_b_v8_ab.jpg

This Is Us

p12900254_b_v8_aa.jpg

Let us know what your watching currently.

• You got me there. I'm a tough sell for television these days. I usually poke into old movies (now more than ever). I actually enjoyed the Flash for two seasons, but this season has been incredibly repetitive with the time travel plots. They reset characters too often to stay fully invested. I wanted to catch Designated Survivor but forgot to set our DVR for that. Kiefer Sutherland is a great actor. You'll have to tell me how that's going thus far.

My wife watches the Voice which sends me off into my collector room or to the couch and a pillow. That and the country music awards. How many of those do they have in a year? Those folks must never have time to do anything else. It seems like they have one for each season.

• I typically don't have much time (or interest) for modern TV but for some reason this year I'm like sucked into a WHOLE BUNCH of shows!

I've been a "Whovian" (fan of Doctor Who) for a few years now and that will be coming back at Christmas so YAY!

I've also been watching This Is Us- GREAT SHOW! I love it! It's very real feeling. (but I've missed the last few eps so NO SPOILERS!)

This year, mainly to have discussions with a friend who watches the show I've been following along with Supernatural on the CW. I've watched this off and on for the last few years but this is the first time I've watched several episodes in a row. I struggle with this show because the writing and characters are on point, but the subject matter troubles me. I do not hesitate to proclaim that I am a very devout Christian, and my problem with this show is that it deals with some very delicate topics in terms of "supernatural" evils and monsters. I was fine with the show when it was just typical sci fi monsters, etc. and even when it got into the territory of having angels as characters, but when they added character representations of God and Lucifer onto the show?? That's where I draw the line. This season, the writers have backed off (slightly) from the more deeply religious stuff and I watch so that I can have political/theological debates on the show with a friend at school who watches it.

Also, I'm super into the four "Arrowverse" shows on right now on the CW - Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. Shout out to fellow John Wayne buffs- in a Legends of Tomorrow first season episode, they travel back in time to the old west where one of the characters lives out a cowboy fantasy of sorts and tells the baddies that his name is... John Wayne. LOL. It's the best! Check out this clip HERE!

ALSO the biggest show I'm into right now is Fox's reboot of the Lethal Weapon franchise. THIS. SHOW. IS. AMAZING. (and that's coming from a gal who HATES reboots!)

soooo.. yeah. lot's of TV.

• I was wondering about the Lethal Weapon series, I've seen the commercials. I really don't want to get sucked in to something else. lol So I've avoid it.

I felt the same way! I absolutely HATE remakes- I guess being a fan of all the classic movies and TV I hate when modern people can't STAND to watch things that aren't in ultra HD or are, heaven forbid, in BLACK AND WHITE!?!?? Like honestly, so many of these gems of movies and TV programs are still available and even air frequently on TV or on streaming services like Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix. There have been so many "meh" remakes (Hawaii Five O, Ironside, TRUE GRIT! -seriously, WHAT was wrong with the original??????- the list goes on) and I seriously had my doubts when at the same time I bingewatched the Lethal Weapon movies I saw that there was an upcoming remake.

I talked with my fellow LW movie fan at lunch and we complained about remakes being stupid and how this one could NEVER be as good as the originals. Also, as can be seen above, I have a LOT of shows on my plate right now and wasn't thrilled about diving into a new one, but nevertheless, we started watching it, every Wednesday night! And I apologize, because for the most part, it is SO GOOD.

I still find things which I'm unsure about, or things that are too like the original, or not enough like the original, but ignoring all of that, this is a quality show (compared to a lot of the crap produced nowadays) and I enjoy spending my weekly 45ish minutes watching it! (Can't wait for it to come back from the mid-season hiatus!!)

• What I like now days is I can watch the shows I'm into on my schedule with the Roku box. In the old days you had to be in front of the TV at the same night every week to catch the latest EP.

We have a roku!!!! I love it! We always turn on old episodes of the Andy Griffith show, Mary Tyler Moore, or Colombo on the Roku when we eat dinner! It's great! :D

• They used to have a few eps on Amazon prime (I think..? ) but i don't know if that's still there anymore. We predominantly watch it on Netflix (through Roku) but apparently it will be leaving Netflix soon! ;(

:/:/:/8|:thumbdown:

• I do have to say I did get Hooked on Stranger Things on Netflix. That was an amazing series. Only eight episodes long, so you can get in and get caught up fast. It's treatment is Stephen King meets Stephen Spielberg meets the Goonies. It has a nostalgic nod to so many styles and the story takes place circa 1981. The director who was not even born in 1981 has tremendous sensibilities to those characters for the day too. Incredibly odd, someone not of that era could pick up on that. I highly recommend though.

• I do have to say I did get Hooked on Stranger Things on Netflix. That was an amazing series. Only eight episodes long, so you can get in and get caught up fast. It's treatment is Stephen King meets Stephen Spielberg meets the Goonies. It has a nostalgic nod to so many styles and the story takes place circa 1981. The director who was not even born in 1981 has tremendous sensibilities to those characters for the day too. Incredibly odd, someone not of that era could pick up on that. I highly recommend though.

Oh really? Hmm.. I wasn't planning on watching Stranger Things but I might have to give it a try! Is it like
    sci-fi?

• Oh really? Hmm.. I wasn't planning on watching Stranger Things but I might have to give it a try! Is it likesci-fi?

Oh it definitely has sci-fi elements in addition to some horror. And it revolves around these kids. It's very suspenseful, engaging, and the kids are as charismatic as any I have seen in decades.