"Shepherd of the Hills"

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There is 1 reply in this Thread. The last Post () by Frankiemac.

• "Shepherd of the Hills"

Little One added a new article:

"Shepherd of the Hills"

Little One

Blog-Article

“The Shepherd of the Hills” is a 1941 film based on a novel of the same name. Filmed in gorgeous Technicolor and containing excellent performances by Harry Carey, John Wayne, Betty Field, and others, I’m really not sure why this film isn’t a classic. The plot is simple, but beautiful and moving, one of Director Henry Hathaway’s greatest cinematic achievements. Our story begins in the Ozark Mountains of Missouri.

Deep in the Ozark Mountains, buried within the shade of thousands of whispering pines, dogwoods, oaks, and cedars, lay a valley. The valley was old and beautiful. But this beautiful, old valley held a dark and terrible secret. For in the heart of these shady trees and golden sunshine, lived a people in a terrible bondage. While the hills rang with the songs of birds and the golden sun shone down, the truth was seen clearly in people’s faces. Their faces were tired, old beyond their time, and trapped in a seemingly unbreakable bondage of fear.

Into this valley of dark and hopelessness comes the hero of our story, one Daniel Howitt (Harry Carey). The mountain folk initially distrust this tall stranger from the city, as they do all strangers who enter their land. They don’t understand why anyone would come to this country of their own free will, let alone settle down here as the stranger plans to do. Meanwhile Mr. Howitt makes one friend, young Sammy Lane (Betty Field), then begins quietly and steadily to win over the…
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot)
    • Shepherd of the Hills

Beautifully written blog. I really want to see this film now. The picture of the young John Wayne brings a lump to my throat. My husband tells me that the Winchester that he is holding, he keeps for the rest of his life and appears in many of his films. Please someone tell me if this is incorrect.

Frankiemac