Pinned Maureen O'Hara- Biography & Discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 251 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by may2.

• Re: What would you ask Maureen O’Hara about the Duke in an interview?

Her recent book covered a lot of ground but she always seem to duck against certain questions including The Quiet Man whisper. Poor Gerry Kelly when he interviewed her did not get much joy she will want to stick very much to script with no surprises.

Ford is a touchy subject with her but you may get results. Also, not getting an Academy Award may produce a interesting line of conversation.

She was not too inspired with Jimmy Stewart

You could ask her what roles she regrets not getting and would she do more theatre. Would she do things differently.

Being Charles Laughton protege could open up an interesting conversation.

Good Luck on your interview

Mike

Hi Gerry

To help you in your interview with Maureen

Some questions come to mind to ask Maureen about John Wayne

Where there any other John Wayne /Maureen O Hara films planned that did not come to fruitition for some reason.

She also mentions in her book that she thought Big Jake would be a better movie than than it panned out to be. She says footage was cut from this movie becuse of it length. Can she give any insight to what was shot or deleted from the final cut of the movie.

Also, I have always thought that her movie with Brian Keith The Parent Trap that Brian had similarities in style to the Duke. Was it something she was aware of. Could she see John Wayne doing a movie like Parent Trap.

What was her favourite movie to act in ?

If she hadnt been an actress what career path would she have taken?

Finally, without asking what she whispered in John Wayne's ear. Was in Gaelic or English? And if it was Gaelic did John Wayne understand what being said?

Hope this helps

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for bringing up the Brian Keith discussion! I'd like to hear answers to the questions you brought up on that subject too. I think Duke would have done great in that film myself and would be interested to know her thoughts regarding Keith and the Duke.
      Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

Wow, what a great opportunity to suggest questions that would get asked of Maureen O'Hara. I would recommend that you ask which film starring John Wayne that she was not a part of does she look back and wish she had starred opposite Wayne. Hondo? Rio Bravo?

Also, I wouldn't give up on the question as to what she whispered to Duke at the end of Quiet Man. But here is how you do it....ask all your questions, wait until the end of the interview, when she is comfortable with you, and you are wrapping it up, then say, "one final question..." I know you have never wanted to answer this before..." (she will know where you are going) and then ask "is there anything you can tell us about what was whispered to John Wayne at the end of the Quiet Man?" Maybe she won't say what it was, but maybe she will at least say something about it, that would be a good capstone to your interview. Good luck!
      "...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

Judging from the last interview I saw her give with Gerry Kelly I think she may not like interviews too much.

GSP I never thought of Maureen in Hondo or Rio Bravo but reckon she could have improved Rooster Cogburn instead of Kate Hepburn and would have added the final cherry
      if she had starred in The Shootist instead of Betty Bacall.

Anyway Gerry charm her as best you can. Hopefully you have Irish ancestry mention the success of the Irish cricketers in the West Indies and find out as much as you can for us.

This could be one of her last interviews.

Mike

DukePilgrim wrote:

She was not too inspired with Jimmy Stewart

If true, this is rather surprising because to a large degree Duke and Jimmy appealed to the same group of fans.
      De gustibus non est disputandum

I would also find it surprising. I've never heard anything negative about Jimmy Stewart - not even one word. I haven't spent a lot of time studying him, but you get ideas about people from seeing them on screen, and when those ideas are largely borne out by what you hear over the years you sort of form a pretty solid opinion of a person. I thought everyone liked him.

Of course, it's hard to tell what you mean by Jimmy Stewart not being inspiring to her. Please clarify, and give us some facts, if you can. :smile:

A Girl Named Jen wrote:

I would also find it surprising. I've never heard anything negative about Jimmy Stewart - not even one word. I haven't spent a lot of time studying him, but you get ideas about people from seeing them on screen, and when those ideas are largely borne out by what you hear over the years you sort of form a pretty solid opinion of a person. I thought everyone liked him.

Of course, it's hard to tell what you mean by Jimmy Stewart not being inspiring to her. Please clarify, and give us some facts, if you can. :smile:

According to her autobiography, Stewart was a bit of a "ham" who wasn't too keen on 'sharing" scenes with her.

She also talked about Brian Kieth in her bio, and one of the things she mentioned was that he had an acting style that was very similar to Duke.

If I remember right, Tycoon and The Long Gray Line were both supposed to have been Wayne-O’Hara vehicles, but both were made with others, for various reasons.

As far as the original question, I would agree with DukePilgrim's suggestions, particularly about the deleted scenes from Big Jake.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

Hi All

In Maureen's book she says that Ford tried to get her sacked from Mr Hobbs takes a Vacation as somebody who was difficult and that after that was cleared up she was left under no illusions that:-

"I discovered that in a Jimmy Stewart movie that every scenes revolves around Jimmy Stewart. I was never allowed to really play out a single scene in the picture. He is a remarkable actor but not a generous one"

Later when she starred in The Rare Breed with Jimmy Stewart and when she stole a scene from him. Later in the day Stewart suddenly became unwell with a mysterious illness and went home.

"When I showed up for work the next day to finish the scene, new pages of script were handed out. The scene had been completely rewritten overnight and was now impossible for me to steal."

She regarded Rare Breed as a total flop and only praised Brian Keith who also starred in the movie.

The only other fact that I know about Stewart was that he parted company pretty disgracefully with director Anthony Mann after a dispute with how much credit Mann was getting for invigorating Stewart's career with the westerns he made with him in the 1950s. Ironically after the rift neither of them enjoyed the success they had when they worked as a team.

Jimmy was a good western star but I can't rate him in the same league as the Duke. I know John Wayne was loyal to his directors and actors who he worked with and I dont believe I have ever heard of him asking for a scene to be rewritten to give him a more dominant role.

Mike

DukePilgrim wrote:

She regarded Rare Breed as a total flop and only praised Brian Keith who also starred in the movie.

I also wasn't enthused about that movie. It wasn't one of Jimmy's best, for sure.

What you guys are saying, and apparently what Maureen thought, was that Jimmy was narcissistic and selfish. Which is certainly at odds with his image in America. According to everything I've ever read or heard, he was just about as popular as the Duke with American film goers. Speaking for myself, I really did like him.

It's funny Jim

Whilst Duke has a wide following Jimmy Stewart doesnt have much if any.

I know a lot of people who cant stand him and I think his way of dragging out lines can make him particularly irritating.

Personally, I like him in the Mann Westerns and with the exception of Harvey and Bandolero not much else. The Capra films in particularly leave me cold like taking a whole
      bottle of cough mixture!

Mike

DukePilgrim wrote:

It's funny Jim

Whilst Duke has a wide following Jimmy Stewart doesnt have much if any.

I know a lot of people who cant stand him and I think his way of dragging out lines can make him particularly irritating.

Personally, I like him in the Mann Westerns and with the exception of Harvey and Bandolero not much else. The Capra films in particularly leave me cold like taking a whole
      bottle of cough mixture!

Mike

I speculate that you're talking about folks in the UK, Mike, because over here, he was (and still is) very popular.