John Ford

There are 173 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 133,886 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is an article by Frank Nugent (screenplays for many Ford classics, including Wagon Master, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, The Quiet Man and The Searchers) about John Ford. It appeared in the July 23, 1949 issue of The Saturday Evening Post.

• I just purchased "Pappy- The life of John Ford by Dan Ford" for $5 plus $9 or $11 shipping. pickmanmuseumshop.com/saleitems.html
    I have read 27 pages and it seems to be very well written. I have already read some detail on his childhood and how his older brother Francis and John got started in the movie business.
    You can also call the museum at (646) 437-4213. The book is listed in the sale items category.
    x
    x
    "A John Ford Film was a visual gratification."
    ALFRED HITCHCOCK

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

Edited 3 times, last by colkid60 ().

• DreamWorks, Steven Spielberg Plan To Bring Back Tom Joad With New Version Of John Steinbeck’s ‘The Grapes Of Wrath’

DreamWorks is in talks with the estate of author John Steinbeck to make a new version of The Grapes Of Wrath. The novel was turned into a classic 1940 film by John Ford, the director who won one of two Oscars out of the seven nominations the picture received. I’d heard this suddenly became a hot movie property, and that Steven Spielberg swooped in to take it off the table over other bidders. I’d also heard that Spielberg was eyeing it to direct, but DreamWorks said definitively that he is only interested in producing the picture, and will absolutely not direct it. It might be awkward turf since director Ford was one of Spielberg’s formative influences. There is some rationale to this, if DreamWorks was looking to capitalize on the 75th anniversary of Steinbeck’s Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. That anniversary happens next year, and Spielberg is next committed to directing Jason Hall’s adaptation of American Sniper with Bradley Cooper starring.

For those who didn’t read it in high school, The Grapes Of Wrath is about a poor family of tenant farmers forced to move off its land in Oklahoma because of drought and hopeless economic conditions. Spurred by the promise of high wages for farm workers, the Joads head to California, but are beaten down by poverty and hunger in the Great Depression. The film introduced the defiant and tragic protagonist Tom Joad (played by Henry Fonda), who has been an enduring symbol for social reform.

Among those chasing the book were Robert Redford, whose Sundance label was looking to partner with Dark Shadows producer David Kennedy to turn The Grapes Of Wrath into a miniseries at FX. That was until Spielberg came in with the feature and convinced the Steinbeck estate this was the way to go. The rights to the classic novel come with complications, however. Fox made the original film and even though the domestic rights reverted back to the Steinbeck estate, the foreign rights to the film are controlled by that studio. Presumably, Fox will have the option to be involved in this feature, whatever form it takes.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/0…pes-of-wrath/#more-534633

I don't think remaking classics is a very good idea. But I worked with a group of college kids who had to watch the film for a class. They liked the book but despised the movie. It was just too old for them. It's hard to imagine anyone but Fonda in the film.

• DreamWorks, Steven Spielberg Plan To Bring Back Tom Joad With New Version Of John Steinbeck’s ‘The Grapes Of Wrath’

DreamWorks is in talks with the estate of author John Steinbeck to make a new version of The Grapes Of Wrath.

I don't think remaking classics is a very good idea. But I worked with a group of college kids who had to watch the film for a class. They liked the book but despised the movie. It was just too old for them. It's hard to imagine anyone but Fonda in the film.

Thanks for this may,
    and you make a good point in favour of remakes!
    I am sure non of my kids would get past two or three minutes of the original great movie,
    but a remake well, I am sure with modern actors and cinematography, why not?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I don't have a problem with remakes of great novels... that doesn't mean the remake will be as good as Ford's classic.

But it will be interesting to see if they restore the book's ending. ;)

• May2-- thank you for the website about Monument Valley, very nice. We drove through on the highway in
    1997, pulled over and stopped saw a little bit of things. Would like to go back sometime.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• Burt Reynolds seems to be having money problems so he's auctioning off about everything he owns. A rocking chair once owned by John Ford went for $11,000.

http://grantland.com/hollywood…lia-auction-in-las-vegas/

Poor old Burt. Saw an interview of him for a year or so ago, with Piers Morgan on his interview show. He looks really old.