Maureen O'Hara

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• MAUREEN O'HARA

For all discussion, please post here:-
    Maureen O'Hara- Biography

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Date of Birth
    17 August 1920, Ranelagh, County Dublin, Ireland
    [now Ranelagh, Dublin, Ireland]

Date of Death
    24 October 2015,
    Boise, Idaho, USA (natural causes)

Sometimes Credited As:
    Maureen Fitzsimmons

Birth name
    Maureen FitzSimons
    Height
    5' 8"

Spouse
    General Charles F. Blair (11 March 1968 - 2 September 1978) (his death)
    Will Price (29 December 1941 - 11 August 1953) (divorced) 1 child
    George H. Brown (12 June 1939 - 15 September 1941) (annulled)

Nicknames Big Red
    The Pirate Queen
    The Queen of Technicolor

Trivia
    Siblings:

Peggy FitzSimons (a Sisters of Charity nun); television/film producer Charles B. Fitzsimons (now deceased); actress Florrie FitzSimons (aka Clare Hamilton) (now deceased); Margot Fitzsimons; and actor James FitzSimons (aka James O'Hara) (now deceased).
    Crack typist who typed some of her own scripts/rewrites.

Inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1993.

Gave birth to her only child at age 23, a daughter Bronwyn Brigid Price (aka Bronwyn FitzSimons) on June 30, 1944. Her daughter's father was her second husband, later ex-husband, William Houston Price (aka Will Price).

Performed many of her own stunts in her films, rare for an actress at that time.

Brought to Hollywoood by legendary actor, director, producer Charles Laughton, who originally signed her to a personal services performing contract, meaning she was signed to Laughton, instead of to a studio, as was common at that time.

Had starred with John Wayne in five films: Rio Grande (1950), The Quiet Man (1952), The Wings of Eagles (1957), McLintock! (1963) and Big Jake (1971). In all five, Wayne and O'Hara played husband and wife and, in all five, they were estranged at least briefly. The first three were directed by John Ford.

Favorite actress of director John Ford.

She was the first choice to play Anna in the film version of The King and I (1956) but Richard Rodgers did not want the role played by a "pirate queen".

She was having lunch with actress Lucille Ball the moment Lucy first saw Cuban musician Desi Arnaz, whom she later married.

She was born in Churchtown, then a suburb, now a part of metropolitan of Dublin, Ireland.

She was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7004 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on February 8, 1960.

She and John Wayne remained friends until his death. In her home on St. Croix, she had a wing she called the John Wayne Wing because he stayed there when visiting. It was badly damaged by Hurricane Hugo in 1989, some ten years after Wayne's death.

In Italy, most of her films were dubbed by Lidia Simoneschi. She was occasionally dubbed by Dhia Cristiani, most notably in Sitting Pretty (1948); by Rosetta Calavetta and once by Paola Barbara in the multi Oscar-winning How Green Was My Valley (1941).

She made headlines in 1997 by claiming that Brian Keith's suicide, while suffering from lung cancer and emphysema and mourning the suicide of his daughter, was an accident.

She was made a Fellow of the British Film Institute in recognition of her outstanding contribution to film culture.

She became an American citizen on January 25, 1946 but has retained her Irish citizenship. It was the first time in history that the United States government recognized an Irish citizen as Irish. This led to a change in process for all Irish immigrants.

She was originally cast as Isabel Bradley in The Razor's Edge (1946), but was pulled from the cast by Darryl F. Zanuck, and replaced by Gene Tierney. Zanuck would soon cast her in the classic Miracle on 34th Street (1947).

Grandmother of C. Beau Fitzsimons, son of her daughter Bronwyn.

Aunt of Charles F. FitzSimons.

In the early 1940s, she was one of the actresses invited to the White House for a benefit dinner. She sat right next to President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Had a second career after retiring, as a successful magazine publisher; one of the reasons was to help keep her from becoming bored after retirement.

She lost her husband, Charles Blair (September 2, 1978), and her best friend John Wayne (June 11, 1979) just nine months apart.

Was good friends with Ginger Rogers, Anne Baxter, Lucille Ball,Lauren Bacall, Anna Lee, Robert Mitchum, Anthony Quinn, Stuart Whitman and French actress Irina Demick
    Was John Wayne's favorite actress and he considered her a real friend, the only woman he thought of in that way. When he lay dying in his hospital bed, he watched on television as Maureen petitioned Congress to give him a Congressional Gold Medal, which they did by a unanimous vote.

As one of six, Maureen was raised with her siblings at 32 Upper Beechwood Avenue in Dublin's Ranelagh district.

She was a staunch conservative Republican and over time has supported the Presidencies of Dwight D. Eisenhower, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George Bush and George W. Bush.

After being signed by Erich Pommer and Charles Laughton, it was thought that the unusual spelling of her last name--FitzSimons--would be a problem, so they gave her the choice of O'Hara or O'Mara.

Received an honorary doctorate from University College in Galway, Ireland (1988).
    Received a degree from the Guild School of Music in London and became part of the Abbey Theater in Dublin when she was 14, winning the All-Ireland Cup at 16 for her portrayal of Portia in "The Merchant of Venice", by William Shakespeare.

Acting mentor was Charles Laughton.

Resided with her grandson, C. Beau Fitzsimons, and his family in Boise, Idaho.

Appeared at Macy's department store 34th Street in New York City to promote her book "'Tis Herself". Macy's was the main setting for one of her best-known films, from 57 years before: Miracle on 34th Street (1947). [March 2004]

Had starred with Anthony Quinn in six films: The Black Swan (1942), Buffalo Bill (1944), Sinbad, the Sailor (1947), Against All Flags (1952), The Brave and the Beautiful (1955) and Only the Lonely (1991).

Her first screen test was for a British film called Kicking the Moon Around (1938) at Elstree Studios. It was arranged by American bandleader Harry Richman, who was then appearing in Dublin. Despite her hating the experience ("I looked like Mata Hari") and Charles Laughton's opinion that it was awful, he signed her to a contract. RKO Radio Pictures later purchased her contract from him and later sold part of it to 20th Century-Fox.

She was the second actress, after Myrna Loy (in 1991), to receive an honorary Academy Award without ever having been nominated previously.

Had two great-grandchildren, Bailey and Everest, via grandson C. Beau Fitzsimons.
    She was the last credited cast member of Miracle on 34th Street (1947) to pass away on October 24, 2015.

Buried at Arlington Cemetery, besides her late husband Charles Blair, who was a great military officer.

Personal Quotes
    Speaking as an actress, I wish all actors would be more like Duke [John Wayne]--and speaking as a person, it would be nice if all people could be honest and as genuine as he is. This is a real man.

To the people throughout the world, John Wayne is not just an actor, and a very fine actor--John Wayne is the United States of America.

Charles Laughton and his wife, Elsa Lanchester, were never blessed with children. Years after he died, Elsa wrote her autobiography and claimed they never had children because Laughton was homosexual. That's rubbish. Whether or nor Laughton was gay would never have stopped him from having children. He wanted them too badly. Laughton told me the reason they never had children was because Elsa couldn't conceive, the result of a botched abortion she'd had during her earlier days in burlesque. Laughton told me many times that not being a father was his greatest disappointment in life.

I was talking to a director I knew and [John Ford] just turned around and punched me on the jaw. There was no reason or explanation, and I walked straight out of the house and vowed I'd never speak to him again. Of course, I did, but it took a while. He never apologized and I never found out why he hit me.

[on John Ford] I think he was a bitterly disappointed man. More than anything he wanted to be in Ireland or be a military hero. So every so often his anger would spill out and whoever was closest got the brunt of his anger.
    I'm very lucky I really had some wonderful movies.

[on John Ford's style of directing] Today most directors--not all, but most directors--are in another room watching the actors on a television screen. There are no connections with the actors, which is a shame, because John Ford connected with his cast.

Every star has that certain something that stands out and compels us to notice them. As for me I have always believed my most compelling quality to be my inner strength, something I am easily able to share with an audience. I'm very comfortable in my own skin. I never thought my looks would have anything to do with becoming a star. Yet it seems that in some ways they did.
    Comedy is quite difficult, you have to be able to have fun and portray that sense of fun to the audience watching you.

[on John Garfield]: He was my shortest leading man, an outspoken Communist and a real sweetheart.

I spent a great deal of time with Ernesto 'Che' Guevara while I was in Havana. I feel he was less a mercenary than he was a freedom fighter.

[reacting to the heavy make-up she had to wear for her first screen test] I looked like Mata Hari!
    I made John Wayne sexy. I take credit for that.

[2010, her advice to young people wanting a career in drama] If you really want it, go after it--and learn how to speak properly, for God's sake!

[When being handed her honorary Oscar] I only hope it's silver or gold and not like a spoon out of the kitchen.

How could you have had such a wonderful life as me if there wasn't a God directing?
    [on Sam Peckinpah, who directed her in The Deadly Companions (1961)] I didn't enjoy Sam at all. I have to be honest. I didn't think he was a very good director. I think he was lucky that whatever happened in his career happened. I think it was luck, not talent. I'm sorry. You have to forgive me. He was not a good director and if his films turned out successful, that was luck... and people protecting him, like the cameramen and the producers. Different people protecting him made him look good.

[on some of the leading men she worked with] I enjoyed James Stewart, I enjoyed Brian Keith and I enjoyed Henry Fonda. Jeff Chandler was a nice man but a bad actor.
    [on being asked what her most marked characteristic was] The hell and fire in me. They came as a set

Salary
    Dance, Girl, Dance (1940) $12,400

The Parent Trap (1961) $75,000

Mini-Biography
    In America, the early performing arts accomplishments of young Maureen FitzSimons (who we know as Maureen O'Hara) would definitely have put her in the child prodigy category. However, for a child of Irish heritage surrounded by gifted parents and family, these were very natural traits. Maureen made her entrance into this caring haven on August 17, 1920, in Ranelagh (a suburb of Dublin), Ireland. Her mother, Marguerita Lilburn FitzSimons, was an accomplished contralto. Her father, Charles FitzSimons, managed a business in Dublin and also owned part of the renowned Irish soccer team "The Shamrock Rovers". Maureen was the second of six FitzSimons children - Peggy, Florrie, Charles F. FitzSimons, Margot FitzSimons and James O'Hara completed this beautiful family.

Maureen loved playing rough athletic games as a child and excelled in sports. She combined this interest with an equally natural gift for performing. This was demonstrated by her winning pretty much every Feis award for drama and theatrical performing her country offered. By age 14 she was accepted to the prestigious Abbey Theater and pursued her dream of classical theater and operatic singing. This course was to be altered, however, when Charles Laughton, after seeing a screen test of Maureen, became mesmerized by her hauntingly beautiful eyes. Before casting her to star in Jamaica Inn (1939), Laughton and his partner, Erich Pommer, changed her name from Maureen FitzSimons to "Maureen O'Hara" - a bit shorter last name for the marquee.

Under contract to Laughton, Maureen's next picture was to be filmed in America (The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)) at RKO Pictures. The epic film was an extraordinary success and Maureen's contract was eventually bought from Laughton by RKO. At 19, Maureen had already starred in two major motion pictures with Laughton. Unlike most stars of her era, she started at the top, and remained there - with her skills and talents only getting better and better with the passing years.

Maureen has an enviable string of all-time classics to her credit that include the aforementioned "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", How Green Was My Valley (1941), Miracle on 34th Street (1947), Sitting Pretty (1948), The Quiet Man (1952), The Parent Trap (1961) and McLintock! (1963). Add to this the distinction of being voted one of the five most beautiful women in the world and you have a film star who was as gorgeous as she was talented.

Although at times early in her career Hollywood didn't seem to notice, there was much more to Maureen O'Hara than her dynamic beauty. She not only had a wonderful lyric soprano voice, but she could use her inherent athletic ability to perform physical feats that most actresses couldn't begin to attempt, from fencing to fisticuffs. She was a natural athlete.

In her career Maureen starred with some of Hollywood's most dashing leading men, including Tyrone Power, John Payne, Rex Harrison, James Stewart, Henry Fonda, Brian Keith, Sir Alec Guinness and, of course, her famed pairings with "The Duke" himself, John Wayne. She starred in five films with Wayne, the most beloved being The Quiet Man (1952).

In addition to famed director John Ford, Maureen was also fortunate to have worked for some other great directors in the business: Alfred Hitchcock, William Dieterle, Henry Hathaway, Henry King, Jean Renoir, John M. Stahl, William A. Wellman, Frank Borzage, Walter Lang, George Seaton, George Sherman, Carol Reed, Delmer Daves, David Swift, Andrew V. McLaglen and Chris Columbus.

In 1968 Maureen found much deserved personal happiness when she married Charles Blair. Gen. Blair was a famous aviator whom she had known as a friend of her family for many years. A new career began for Maureen, that of a full-time wife. Her marriage to Blair, however, was again far from typical. Blair was the real-life version of what John Wayne had been on the screen. He had been a Brigadier General in the Air Force, a Senior Pilot with Pan American, and held many incredible record-breaking aeronautic achievements. Maureen happily retired from films in 1973 after making the TV movie The Red Pony (1973) (which won the prestigious Peabody Award for Excellence) with Henry Fonda. With Blair, Maureen managed Antilles Air Boats, a commuter sea plane service in the Caribbean. She not only made trips around the world with her pilot husband, but owned and published a magazine, "The Virgin Islander", writing a monthly column called "Maureen O'Hara Says".

Tragically, Charles Blair died in a plane crash in 1978. Though completely devastated, Maureen pulled herself together and, with memories of ten of the happiest years of her life, continued on. She was elected President and CEO of Antilles Air Boats, which brought her the distinction of being the first woman president of a scheduled airline in the United States.

Maureen now lives quite happily in retirement in a home near her grandson and his family in Boise, Idaho. Fortunately, she was coaxed out of retirement several times - once in 1991 to star with John Candy in Only the Lonely (1991) and again, in 1995, in a made-for-TV movie, The Christmas Box (1995) on CBS. In the spring of 1998, Maureen accepted the second of what would be three projects for Polson Productions and CBS: Cab to Canada (1998) - and, in October, 2000, The Last Dance (2000).

On November 4, 2014 Maureen was honored by a long overdue Oscar for "Lifetime Achievement" at the annual Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Governors Awards. On August 17, 2015 Maureen celebrated her 95th Birthday at her home in Boise.

On October 24, 2015 Maureen passed away, quietly in her sleep, surrounded by her family and listening to music from her iconic film, "The Quiet Man." She was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington D.C., next to her husband, Brig. General Charles F. Blair.

Maureen O'Hara has fans from all over the world of all ages who are utterly devoted to her legacy of films and her persona as a strong, courageous and intelligent woman. She will always be fondly remembered and to share those wonderful memories we are maintaining an active website "Maureen O'Hara Magazine on Facebook."

- IMDb Mini Biography By: June Parker Beck

Filmography
    Actress
    1. The Last Dance (2000) (TV) .... Helen Parker
    2. Cab to Canada (1998) (TV) .... Katherine Eure
    3. The Christmas Box (1995) (TV) .... Mary Parkin (Mrs. Parkin)
    4. Only the Lonely (1991) .... Rose Muldoon
    5. The Red Pony (1973) (TV) .... Ruth Tiflin
    6. Big Jake (1971) .... Martha McCandles
    7. How Do I Love Thee? (1970) .... Elsie Waltz
    8. The Rare Breed (1966) .... Martha Evans
    9. The Battle of the Villa Fiorita (1965) .... Moira
    ... aka Affair at the Villa Fiorita
    10. Spencer's Mountain (1963) .... Olivia Spencer
    11. McLintock! (1963) .... Katherine Gilhooley McLintock
    12. Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation (1962) .... Peggy Hobbs
    13. The Parent Trap (1961) .... Margaret 'Maggie' McKendrick
    14. The Deadly Companions (1961) .... Kit Tilden
    ... aka Trigger Happy (USA: reissue title)
    15. Mrs. Miniver (1960) (TV) .... Mrs. Miniver
    16. Our Man in Havana (1959) .... Beatrice Severn
    17. The Wings of Eagles (1957) .... Min Wead
    18. Everything But the Truth (1956) .... Joan Madison
    19. Lisbon (1956) .... Sylvia Merrill
    20. Lady Godiva of Coventry (1955) .... Lady Godiva
    ... aka Lady Godiva of Coventry (UK)
    21. The Magnificent Matador (1955) .... Karen Harrison
    ... aka The Brave and the Beautiful (UK)
    22. The Long Gray Line (1955) .... Mary O'Donnell
    23. Malaga (1954) .... Joanna Dana
    ... aka Fire Over Africa (USA)
    24. War Arrow (1953) .... Elaine Corwin
    25. The Redhead From Wyoming (1953) .... Kate Maxwell
    26. Against All Flags (1952) .... Spitfire Stevens
    27. The Quiet Man (1952) .... Mary Kate Danaher
    28. Kangaroo (1952) .... Dell McGuire
    ... aka The Australian Story (USA: subtitle)
    29. At Sword's Point (1952) .... Claire
    ... aka Sons of the Musketeers (UK)
    30. Flame of Araby (1951) .... Princess Tanya
    ... aka Flame of the Desert (USA)
    31. Rio Grande (1950) .... Mrs. Kathleen Yorke
    ... aka John Ford and Merian C. Cooper's Rio Grande (USA: complete title)
    32. Tripoli (1950) .... Countess D'Arneau
    ... aka The First Marines (USA: reissue title)
    33. Comanche Territory (1950) .... Katie Howard
    34. Bagdad (1949) .... Princess Marjan
    35. Father Was a Fullback (1949) .... Elizabeth Cooper
    36. Britannia Mews (1949) .... Adelaide Culver
    ... aka Affairs of Adelaide (USA)
    ... aka The Forbidden Street (USA)
    37. A Woman's Secret (1949) .... Marian Washburn
    38. Sitting Pretty (1948) .... Tacey King
    39. The Foxes of Harrow (1947) .... Odalie d'Arceneaux
    40. Miracle on 34th Street (1947) .... Doris Walker
    ... aka The Big Heart (UK)
    41. The Homestretch (1947) .... Leslie Hale
    42. Sinbad the Sailor (1947) .... Shireen
    43. Do You Love Me (1946) .... Katherine 'Kitten' Hilliard
    44. Sentimental Journey (1946) .... Julie Beck/Weatherly
    45. The Spanish Main (1945) .... Contessa Francesca
    46. Buffalo Bill (1944) .... Louisa Frederici Cody
    47. The Fallen Sparrow (1943) .... Toni Donne
    48. This Land Is Mine (1943) .... Louise Martin
    49. Immortal Sergeant (1943) .... Valentine
    50. The Black Swan (1942) .... Lady Margaret Denby
    51. Ten Gentlemen from West Point (1942) .... Carolyn Bainbridge
    52. To the Shores of Tripoli (1942) .... 2nd Lt. Mary Carter
    53. How Green Was My Valley (1941) .... Angharad, later Mrs Iestyn Evans
    54. They Met In Argentina (1941) .... Lolita O'Shea
    55. Dance, Girl, Dance (1940) .... Judy
    56. A Bill of Divorcement (1940) .... Sydney Fairfield
    ... aka Never to Love (USA: reissue title)
    57. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939) .... Esmeralda
    58. Jamaica Inn (1939) .... Mary (Patience's niece)
    59. Kicking the Moon Around (1938) .... Secretary
    ... aka Millionaire Merry-Go-Round
    ... aka The Playboy
    60. My Irish Molly (1938) (as Maureen Fitzsimmons) .... Eileen O'Shea
    ... aka Little Miss Molly (USA)

Miscellaneous Crew
    1. 9th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards (2003) (TV) (presenter)
    2. The Parent Trap (1961) (singer) (uncredited)
    3. The Deadly Companions (1961) (singer)
    ... aka Trigger Happy (USA: reissue title)

Herself
    1. 2nd Irish Film and Television Awards (2004) (TV) .... Herself/Lifetime Achievement Award Winner
    2. The Quiet Man: The Joy of Ireland (2002) (V) .... Herself
    3. AFI's 100 Years... 100 Passions (2002) (TV) .... Herself
    4. Cleopatra: The Film That Changed Hollywood (2001) (TV) (uncredited) .... Herself

5. Hayley Mills Seeing Double (1999) (TV) .... Herself
    ... aka A&E Biography: Hayley Mills Seeing Double (USA: series title)
    6. Roddy McDowall: Hollywood's Best Friend (1998) (TV) .... Herself
    ... aka A&E Biography: Roddy McDowall - Hollywood's Best Friend (USA: series title)
    7. John Ford: An American Vision (1998) (TV) .... Herself
    ... aka A&E Biography: John Ford - An American Vision (USA: series title)
    8. Irish Christmas (1994) (TV) .... Herself
    ... aka Perry Como's Irish Christmas (USA: complete title)
    9. 100 Years of the Hollywood Western (1994) (TV) .... Herself
    10. A Century of Cinema (1994) .... Herself
    11. John Ford (1990) (TV) .... Herself

12. An All-Star Tribute to John Wayne (1976) (TV) .... Herself
    13. The American Film Institute Salute to John Ford (1973) (TV) .... Herself

Archive Footage

1. Sam Peckinpah's West: Legacy of a Hollywood Renegade (2004) (TV) .... Herself
    2. Remembering 'The Quiet Man' (2002) (V) .... Danaher, Mary Kate
    3. The Making of 'The Quiet Man' (1992) (V)
    4. That's Action (1977) .... Herself

Notable TV Guest Appearances

1. "Kelly" playing "Herself" 11 January 2005
    2. "The Late Late Show" playing "Herself" 24 September 2004
    3. "Richard & Judy" playing "Herself" 20 September 2004
    4. "The Hollywood Greats" playing "Herself" in episode: "John Wayne" 22 March 2004
    5. "Backstory" playing "Herself" in episode: "Miracle on 34th Street"
    6. "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson" playing "Herself" 17 May 1991
    7. "The Jackie Gleason Show" playing "Herself" in episode: "The Honeymooners: Ralph Goes Hollywood" (episode # 4.2) 4 October 1969
    8. "The Andy Williams Show" playing "Herself" 11 April 1966
    9. "The Andy Williams Show" playing "Herself" 24 May 1965
    10. "The Bell Telephone Hour" playing "Hostess" 22 December 1964
    11. "The Andy Williams Show" playing "Herself" 17 March 1964
    12. "Hallmark Hall of Fame" playing "Susanna Cibber" in episode: "A Cry of Angels" 15 December 1963
    13. "The Andy Williams Show" playing "Herself" 14 March 1963
    14. "The Bell Telephone Hour" playing "Herself" in episode: "Gala Performance" 30 March 1962
    15. "Toast of the Town" playing "Singer" (episode # 15.26) 11 March 1962
    16. "Toast of the Town" playing "Singer" (episode # 15.4) 8 October 1961
    17. "The DuPont Show of the Month" playing "Lady Marguerite Blakeney" in episode: "The Scarlet Pimpernel" (episode # 4.4) 18 December 1960
    18. "Startime" playing "Herself" in episode: "The Talent Scouts Program" (episode # 1.21) 23 February 1960
    19. "What's My Line?" playing "Mystery Guest" 27 December 1959
    20. "The Dinah Shore Chevy Show" playing "Herself" 3 November 1957
    21. "Toast of the Town" playing "Herself" (archive footage) (episode # 8.35) 8 May 1955
    22. "Toast of the Town" playing "Herself" (episode # 8.22) 6 February 1955
    23. "Toast of the Town" playing "Herself" (archive footage) (episode # 6.8) 2 November 1952

Watch Maureen O'Hara Full Movies, clips and trailers in:-

Maureen's Video Gallery

Here is one:-
    Jamaica_Inn

For all discussion, please post here:-
    Maureen O'Hara- Biography

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 10 times, last by ethanedwards ().