The Furies (1950)

There are 4 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,478 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE FURIES

DIRECTED BY ANTHONY MANN
    PRODUCED BY HAL W. WALLIS
    WALLIS-HJAZEN INC.
    PARAMOUNT PICTURES

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    The 1870s, New Mexico territory: T.C. Jeffords is a cattle baron who built his ranch,
    the Furies, from scratch. He borrows from banks, pays hired hands with his own script
    ("T.C.'s"), and carries on low-level warfare with the Mexicans who settled the land
    but are now considered squatters. He has enemies, including Rip Darrow,
    a saloon owner who's father T.C. took land from.
    His headstrong daughter, Vance, has a life-long friend in one of the Mexicans,
    her heart set on Rip, and dad's promise she'll run the Furies someday.
    Her hopes are smashed by Rip's revenge, a gold-digger who turns T.C.'s head,
    and T.C.'s own murderous imperialism.
    Is Vance to be cursed by fury and hatred?
    Written by jhailey

Cast
    Barbara Stanwyck ... Vance Jeffords
    Wendell Corey ... Rip Darrow
    Walter Huston ... T. C. Jeffords
    Judith Anderson ... Flo Burnett
    Gilbert Roland ... Juan Herrera
    Thomas Gomez ... El Tigre
    Beulah Bondi ... Mrs. Anaheim
    Albert Dekker ... Mr. ReynoldsJohn Bromfield ...
    Clay Jeffords
    Wallace Ford ... Scotty Hyslip
    Blanche Yurka ... Herrera Mother Louis Jean Heydt ...
    Bailey
    Frank Ferguson ... Dr. Grieve
    Charles Evans ... Old Anaheim
    Movita ... Chiquita (as Movita Casteneda)
    Craig Kelly ... Young Anaheim
    Myrna Dell ... Dallas Hart

Directed
    Anthony Mann

Writing Credits
    Charles Schnee ... (screenplay)
    Niven Busch ... (from a novel by)

Produced
    Hal B. Wallis ... producer (as Hal Wallis)

Music
    Franz Waxman

Cinematography
    Victor Milner
    Lee Garmes ... (uncredited)

Trivia
    Final film of Walter Huston,

Cinematographer Lee Garmes shot part of this film, uncredited.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Empire Ranch, Sonoita, Arizona, USA
    San Pedro River, Arizona, USA
    Sonoita, Arizona, USA
    Skeleton Canyon, Arizona, USA
    Arizona, USA
    Paramount Studios - 5555 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA (studio)

[EXTENDEDMEDIA]

[/EXTENDEDMEDIA]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• The Furies is a 1950 American Western film
    directed by Anthony Mann and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Wendell Corey,
    and Walter Huston in his last film performance.

In 2008, the film was released on DVD in the United States by The Criterion Collection

User Review

As good as Mann's best
    29 June 2008 | by zetes (Saint Paul, MN)
    This Antony Mann Western is little-known compared to his collaborations with James Stewart or Man of the West or a good number of other Mann films, but it's an equal to his best work. Barbara Stanwyck and Walter Huston (in his final performance) star as a daughter and her father, powerful ranchers who own the titular land. Their relationship, much as the title suggests, has a psycho-sexual tinge. When men call on Stanwyck, her father balks. And when hoochies cling to Huston, well, then things get real ugly! The Furies shows Mann bringing a lot of his noir skills to the Western genre. One can easily see how that genre influenced Mann's characterizations, but, in terms of film-making, he had largely moved on. The Furies is just dark and often nasty. I have to wonder why the film is so little known. My thought is that almost all Westerns feature male protagonists, with the most notably exception being Johnny Guitar. I'm not going to rag too much on that film, because I do like it, but The Furies is far superior. Stanwyck was rarely better. I might actually rate this as her best. Huston went out on one of his best performances. It's hard to believe he died before the film was even released with as much energy as he shows. My only real complaint with the movie is that it peaks too early. The standoff at the Herrera's fort is one of the greatest sequences in the history of the genre, and it's so good that the remainder of the film drags a bit. Still, a masterpiece. Thanks again, Criterion!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England