Sugarfoot (1951)

There is 1 reply in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,439 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• SUGARFOOT

DIRECTED BY EDWIN L. MARIN
    MUSIC BY MAX STEINER
    WARNER BROS.

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    Jackson Redan, a former Confederate officer, arrives in Arizona expecting to start his life anew on land he hopes to buy and cultivate. He meets saloon-girl Reva Cairn and town merchant Don Miguel Wormser. Though he rescues Reva from the attentions of Jacob Stint, a sworn enemy from his past, he treats her coldly and considers her beneath him. When Wormser entrusts Redan with four-thousand dollars, which is later stolen by Stint, the merchant forgives him, providing Redan a strong example of being a friend. On business for Wormser, Jackson outbids Wormser's rival-merchant Asa Goodhue, making another enemy for himself. He recovers the stolen money from Stint, but suffers a bullet wound and Reva nurses him back to health. Stint and Goodhue continue to cheat the townspeople, ranchers and farmers out of army contracts for their produce, and Jackson sets out to put an end to their villainy.
    Written by Les Adams

Cast
    Randolph Scott ... Jackson 'Sugarfoot' Redan
    Adele Jergens ... Reva Cairn
    Raymond Massey ... Jacob Stint
    S.Z. Sakall ... Don Miguel Wormser
    Robert Warwick ... J.C. Crane
    Arthur Hunnicutt ... Fly-Up-the-Creek Jones
    Hugh Sanders ... Asa Goodhue
    Hope Landin ... Mary
    Hank Worden ... Johnny-Behind-the-Stove
    Gene Evans ... Billings
    and many more...

Directed
    Edwin L. Marin

Writing Credits
    Russell S. Hughes ... (adaptation) (as Russell Hughes)
    Clarence Budington Kelland ... (from the novel by)

Produced
    Saul Elkins ... producer

Music
    Max Steiner

Cinematography
    Wilfred M. Cline ... director of photography (as Wilfrid M. Cline)

Trivia
    In the late 1950s Warner Bros. changed the film's title to "Swirl of Glory"
    to avoid confusion with its TV series of the same name.
    It has since reverted to its original title.

Goofs
    Continuity
    The style of Scott's pistol holster changes during the final shootout in the house,
    seen from behind and at the side of the hero , the pistol just visible above the very deep holster,
    seen from the front it becomes a regular fast draw type with a large part of the gun visible .

Jacob Stint: I knew this town wasn't big enough to hold the two of us.

Filming Locations
    Santa Clarita, California, USA
    Warner Ranch, Calabasas, California, USA
    Simi Valley, California, USA (Ray Corrigan Ranch)
    Vasquez Rocks Natural Area Park - 10700 W. Escondido Canyon Rd., Agua Dulce, California, USA

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 31 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Sugarfoot is a 1951 western film starring Randolph Scott as Jackson 'Sugarfoot' Redan
    and featuring Adele Jergens and Raymond Massey.

Aside from the title, the movie has nothing to do with the 1957 television series of the same name,
    which was inspired by another feature Western, Michael Curtiz's
    The Boy from Oklahoma (1954) starring Will Rogers, Jr..

User Review

Adele Jergens as Reva, is what is best in this western.
    16 November 2011 | by alexandre michel liberman (tmwest) (S. Paulo, Brazil)

Quote from alex

When I was about ten years old and already had a passion for westerns, I used to pass in front of Cine Bandeirantes in São Paulo, a popular movie theater, and look for the posters of the coming attractions. When it was a western I used to hope that it would be restricted only up to ten years old. But that was not the case with "Sugarfoot" the Brazilian title being "Talhado em Granito", which was restricted up to fourteen.

And I craved to see this film. Seeing it now, makes me aware one more time of how we change and the times change. This is a routine Scott western,which starts quite well as the characters are introduced. Most remarkable is Adele Jergens as Reva, a saloon singer with a strong personality. She does an excellent musical number about a guy she meets and thinks will order wine, but asks for two beers instead and for her to pay the bill. Raymond Massey, the villain and Scott arrive at the same time in Prescott, Arizona and each will go his own way on different sides of the law. Scott becomes friendly with S.Z. Sakall,( less of a caricature than in most of his films), and starts earning enough money to make a living and get married to Reva, but Massey is there to spoil his plans.The plot gets a bit too fast moving from about half of the film and I had to go back on the DVD to be able to understand. If you would take all the Scott westerns (leave the Boettichers out, they are all great) this one would be average

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 30 times, last by ethanedwards ().