True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 260,042 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Watched the remake of True Grit again on DVD a few weeks ago.

Whilst it is not the JW classic it is not a bad movie. The central emphasis like the book is placed on the Mattie character not Rooster. The Mattie character is much better than Kim Darby and Matt Damon improves on Glen Campbell. Jeff Bridges like any other actor was on a hiding to nowhere compared to the Duke interpretation but he still makes a reasonable effort. The Rooster role is a strong character and it would have been interesting if Jeff Bridges had not won an Oscar the year before. It could have been a case of history repeating itself.

The other biggest loss is the Bernstein score. Whilst the Coen Brothers soundtrack sounds authentic much like the Ken Burns western documentaries it does weigh down the feel of the movie. The remake is a much darker movie as the end of the film shows but is definitely woth a viewing.

• I watched the remake yesterday. I agree with many who say Jeff Bridges' Rooster is a darker, moodier character. Wayne gave Rooster a joy of life that Bridges' character just doesn't have. I enjoyed the gospel oriented soundtrack of the remake but it does seem to add to the overall somber mood of the film. The original was a more fun movie to watch--brighter and with a sense of humor to counter the violence. That said, I enjoyed the remake and will watch it again. It stands on its own as a good western.

• I watched the remake yesterday. I agree with many who say Jeff Bridges' Rooster is a darker, moodier character. Wayne gave Rooster a joy of life that Bridges' character just doesn't have. I enjoyed the gospel oriented soundtrack of the remake but it does seem to add to the overall somber mood of the film. The original was a more fun movie to watch--brighter and with a sense of humor to counter the violence. That said, I enjoyed the remake and will watch it again. It stands on its own as a good western.

Many thanks for joining us and your very first post.
    I have extended an official
    WELCOME
    Here

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Saw this remake on our TV a few days ago, I liked it that a week earlier they showed Duke's True Grit. To be fair I still prefer Duke's but didn't dislike this new version. For whatever reason I hadn't seen it before and I decided to not compare it with Duke's True Grit. I did not succeed while watching the first 15 minutes or so but I did get over that and then I enjoyed the film a lot. Not as good as the original but not bad at all. Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon where good, I did not like the girl much. I didn't recognize Josh Brolin but he was good as Chaney. What I did miss was the humour that is in Duke's version. But then the Coen brothers don't do humour do they? Shall I watch this film again when it's shown on our tv? Yes I will. Not a favourite but good enough to watch again.