True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 261,306 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I actually hate remakes, which seems to be the norm. I know that Charlston Heston was in the remake of Ben Hur, but overall I don't like them. They take away what the original was all about. I don't think this will succeed. Jeff Bridges is no John Wayne. But I will not judge too harshly. And I am not a fan of the Colen Brothers.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I was a little skeptical until I heard Jeff Bridges had been cast as Rooster, he has been an excellent actor in everything I've seen him in from The Iceman Cometh onwards.

Bridges did a great job as " Wild Bill "

• Keira Kightley. At least she's a lot younger than Audrey Hepburn was.

Audrey Hepburn was not in true grit?

There are just some things that should be left well alone and TRUE GRIT is top of my list of these.

When you consider how many "remakes" do not live up to the original War of the worlds come to mind instantly why oh why cant they find something else or even call it something else.

Rob the storyline change it a bit, different cast, different title and I would be well happy.

And if you guess by this I will not be queing to see the remake you guess right LOL

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Well you are right Elly, at the same time though I think perhaps a remake might encourage young people to watch the original, which would therefore introduce them to John Wayne's very impressive filmography. If that happened it would only be a good thing.

• Well you are right Elly, at the same time though I think perhaps a remake might encourage young people to watch the original, which would therefore introduce them to John Wayne's very impressive filmography. If that happened it would only be a good thing.

Hi again

this argument is always used and while I think it may encourage a few folks to look at the original it does not neccesarily follow they will become JW fans.

Far better to do as I have and show JW films to children from the moment they can watch TV! in my granddaughters case I have been showing her since she was just over a year old.

And in any event anyone wanting to see the original can do so just as well if they watch a film called "XYZ" that has a notation to say it was based on the book and film called True Grit and starring John Wayne."

AND

there are 200 other John Wayne movies to remake to encourage younger folks to become fans so no need to choose this one. In fact it could be argued that Rooster Cogburn and the Lady is a remake of True Grit so why not call it the remake of "Rooster Cogburn.

This is particularly dear to my heart as it is my favourite film of all time and for me, John Wayne is Rooster and vice versa.

But, then what do I know LOL

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

Edited once, last by Elly: Afterthought ().

• Far better to do as I have and show JW films to children from the moment they can watch TV! in my granddaughters case I have been showing her since she was just over a year old.

This makes sense, they need to be caught young, at the age they absorb everything life can throw at them, and then it becomes part of their lives.

My grandchildren know of John Wayne, even if it is to say "He is Grandad's favourite". They see parts of my collection when they come. If I am at my daughter's house and there is a John Wayne movie on the TV she puts it on.

Sow the seeds and nurture the growth.

Remakes? Not for me.

Bob

• My grown son and daughter are the same. When I visit them, they usually find a Wayne movie to put on in the background if it's on the tube. My son actually has a fine collection of Wayne dvds and is mildly frustrated that his young daughters would rather watch Disney princess movies.
    My daughter's 3 year old son already knows who "Johnna Wayne" is.

We deal in lead, friend.

• This is in Chicago

Auditions are being held Monday through Jan. 22 for a 14-year-old female lead for ''True Grit,'' Ethan and Joel Coen's film starring Matt Damon, Josh Brolin and Jeff Bridges.

Some acting experience is required for the Mattie Ross role. To make an appointment, e-mail TP&R Casting at [email protected] or call (312) 527-0665.

• This is in Chicago

Auditions are being held Monday through Jan. 22 for a 14-year-old female lead for ''True Grit,'' Ethan and Joel Coen's film starring Matt Damon, Josh Brolin and Jeff Bridges.

Some acting experience is required for the Mattie Ross role. To make an appointment, e-mail TP&R Casting at [email protected] or call (312) 527-0665.

I think this girl would be wonderful in the role. I was extremely impressed with her performance in "Swing Vote".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy!

The girl is the right age and looks like a good choice.
    I don't know if this movie will be good or bad or mediocre but they are starting off with a good cast.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Maybe the little girl from The Lovely Bones would be good. She is 14 and a fine actress. Her name is Saoirise Ronan. She is quiet good. I think she could handle the western. She was born in New York, but moved to Ireland at the age of three. Her name is Irish meaning "freedom."

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I just got word that United American Costume Co. got the contract for this film. This is owned by Luster Bayless, who was Dukes personal costumer a designer of the eye patch which he will make again. also saw a clip of Jeff Bridges in a new film called Crazy Heart where he plays a burned out old country singer. This looks like a great performance.
    We have to remember Bridges is not playing John Wayne he is only playing a character from a novel just like Duke.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

Edited once, last by BILL OF PA ().

• Hi everybody have not been on the boards in awhile but had to chip in on this topic, I am like every one else can not see any one doing a good job on a Duke film, Jeff
    Bridges played a good wild Bill so he might be alright and like the poster before said he is playing a charactor not John Wayne, I will see the movie when it comes out
    just to see and compare, and who knows might be a good western if we watch it for that and not compare to John Wayne.

• As we all know, the Duke occupies a unique place in the hearts of Western movie fans. There'll never be another who can even come close to replacing our love and respect for that man but still, if Jeff Bridges can make an interesting and appealing Western movie, we can appreciate and enjoy it. I just like Westerns, period.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• True Grit is a good movie on it's own only made better by the fact that John Wayne is in it. I will go and see it when it comes out with the hope that it is kept a good movie and appreciate it for what it is a good movie being remade.

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"]"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life..." ~John Wayne~[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

• Let's see, as mentioned before, it's not about playing Duke,
    it's about playing the character in the movie,
    and will the movie stand up on it's own.
    Duke will of course be a hard act to follow!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• Keith, I agree with you on your post, but as a fan of True Grit and of course John Wayne, you can't help but compare this movie.

You have to understand, that it's over 40 years and the majority of the people are under 40 years of age. So most of them have not seen this movie. This is a movie for the younger generation, and the remake will attract the people.

Jeff Bridges getting noticed like he is right now with an Oscar nod for the best actor in Crazy Heart. This movie should get a lot of publicity just because of this and it's a great chance that he will win the Oscar.

- John Wayne quote