True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 261,948 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This remake cant be as bad as the remake of angel and the badman.lou diamond phillips was so bad as the movie, i turned it off after 20mins.at least the true grit remake has a good cast.we just have to wait and see.

• After auditioning more than 15,000 teenage girls, Paramount and True Grit directors Joel and Ethan Coen have found their Mattie Ross in Hailee Steinfeld. The 13-year old will play the centerpiece of a new adaptation of the Charles Portis novel, with Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin starring. Mattie Ross is the 14-year old spitfire whose father has been mowed down in cold blood by Tom Chaney (Brolin). Determined to bring the killer to justice, Mattie enlists hard-drinking U.S. marshal Rooster Cogburn (Bridges) to track the killer before a Texas Ranger (Damon) does. The Coens are producing with Scott Rudin. While most of the teens who auditioned were unknowns, Steinfeld has some credits. She has even more reps, just signing with ICM, who'll rep her along with Coast to Coast Talent Group and Protégé.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/

Here is her IMDB page.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2794962/

Edited once, last by may2 ().

• Recently,many remakes of old movie. For example,besides True Grit,Butch Casidy & The Sundance Kid,Gunsmoke and The Big Valley.
    No one in Hollywood has any NEW ideas?
    I want to see the New Western movies not a remake.(in expectation of Kevin Costner's "Horizon")

Taka

Sometimes kids ask me what a pro is. I just point to the Duke.
    ~Steve McQueen~

• They remake classics to make money and screw up the TV listings. I go to it and see it
    is a remake, like they remade Stagecoach? with willie nelson? There otta be a law.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• they should be a law against making remakes.even though 3 ten to yuma was ok i still rather the glenn ford/van heflin one.

• And now NBC is remaking "The Rockford Files" too...with Dermot Mulroney in one of James Garner's signature roles. It seems like producers keep choosing to remake the signature roles of performers with high "Q" ratings....and end up failing miserably. i.e. the recent "Bionic Woman" remake. Maybe they'll eventually get one right....

• I watched Oprah Winfrey today, and they interviewed the winners of the Oscars. When Jeff Bridges was being interviewed, it was asked what he was going to do after today. Jeff replied that he was leaving for Santa Fe, NM with the Coen Brothers to start filming True Grit. The audience went crazy when he announced that. So, I guess he's starting filming tomorrow of this John Wayne classic, and I think it will be a big hit, if Jeff does it well.

No, I am not an Oprah fan nor do I watch the show, but I just watched it because it was about these new winners of Oscar, and I am a Sandra Bullock fan.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Barry Pepper Has True Grit

He's signed on to the Coens' latest

If we were in a cheesy punning mood (and let’s face it, when aren’t we?) we’d suggest that the Coens are planning to spice up their take on True Grit with a little Pepper. Barry Pepper, to be exact. But it’s true: he’s joining a cast that already includes Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, Hailee Steinfeld and recent Oscar-scooper Jeff Bridges.

Pepper is playing “Lucky” Ned Pepper (is he being typecast as someone called Pepper?), the dangerous and notorious outlaw portrayed by Robert Duvall in the 1969 adaptation of Charles Portis’ novel.

Bridges is taking over the role of Marshall Reuben “Rooster” Cogburn, originally played by John Wayne, a tough lawman who helps a young woman (Steinfeld) track down her father’s murderer.

Joel and Ethan are busy shooting the film right now, taking aim at a December release date.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=27277

• Yea I will watch it to, it is a western, I tried to watch the remake of
    Angle and a Badman and did not even finish it did'nt care for it at all
    hope the do a better job on Tru Grit.

• It should be better than the remake of Angel and the Badman, as that film was made for TV, where as The remake of True Grit is for theatrical release, and I am sure has a way bigger budget. It's true, curiosity will have most of us watching it, but I can bet dollars to donuts that the original will still be our favorite. Ya think? :wink_smile:

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I agree, curiosity might get the best of some of us (myself included :wink_smile: ).

And maybe . . . just MAYbe . . . for some folks, watching this might rekindle interest in the original, which might lead to watching of other John Wayne movies . . . you never know.

The cast is pretty decent so far, and having an Oscar winner in the main role can't hurt (though as I understand it, the role of Mattie will be greater, as the story is being told from her point of view).

Mrs. C :angel1:

• I might break down and go see this movie on the silver screen myself when it is released. I wish they would show Duke's True Grit as well. But I do agree that the cast is not a bad one. We'll wait and see what this does. I am still concerned about the Coen Brothers doing this movie. They are weird.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• It' hard to think of any one replacing the Duke in any role, but Bridges is a fine actor and the Coen bros. have made some very good movies. I will watch it with scrutiny.

• Just received news that the movie company fliming the remake is on set in Blanco at the Blanco County Courthouse (just a few miles up the road from San Antonio). They're expected to be there for a few days filming.
    Jeff Bridges was reportedly seen going into the courthouse.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Edited once, last by Jay J. Foraker ().

• Found this last night. First pictures of Jeff Bridges as Rooster Cogburn. Perhaps the photos here are just on-set, between shots photos as he's not wearing an eye patch. But, a bowler hat?? Looks more "Butch Cassidy" than "True Grit".... Plus, a full beard? If I'm not mistaken, in the novel, Rooster only had a mustache. This remake has been touted as being true to the novel, but now I'm wondering....just how true?

http://www.onlocationvacations…true-grit/comment-page-1/

• I do not like the looks of the outfit they put him in.............

That being said, has anyone seen on the Encore Western channel the commercials for the John Wayne weekend at the end of the month? There was a clip of Steven Spielberg taking about Duke and even he said that once a character had been portrayed by Duke, it would be really difficult for anyone else to play that character or imagine anyone else in that role. I thought that was quite interesting hearing Speilberg say that.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne