True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 261,829 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm no defender of a remake -any remake - but the images look as if Bridges was dressed to testify in court, not for the trail, and was just speaking to a crew member. If I were playing the role, the last bit of costume I would put on would be an eyepatch.
    On the plus side, they're filming hangings.

We deal in lead, friend.

• I know that Hathaway wanted Duke to sport a mustache and he refused on grounds that moviegoers came to see his face. Did Rooster have a mustache in the book?

We deal in lead, friend.

• I know that Hathaway wanted Duke to sport a mustache and he refused on grounds that moviegoers came to see his face.

Suprised to hear that Duke said this, particually when you consider
    She Wore A Yellow Ribbon was Duke's favourite film,
    and in that movie isn't he wearing a moustache??
    Didn't seem to do his popularity much harm then!!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 3 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Yeah, but he also had a mustache in "The Conqueror" which I imagine didn't generate warm and (ahem) fuzzy memories. At any rate, he semed adjusted to it when he got around to "The Shootist".

We deal in lead, friend.

• Although there is bound to be cross reference between the
    two movies, the last few posts were specifially about Duke's True Grit,
    I have copied them over to the dedicated thread.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• They have done many remakes, and all I read of what you all said is true.
    I do know that Duke had difficulty finding a good script at times.
    Rio Bravo & El Dorado are essentially the same movie, but I wouldn't want to do away wiith either one.
    Go to:
    http://www.ducksoftware.com/movies/johnwaynemovies.html
    for a list of all the Duke's movies by year.

They can remake the movie, but it will never be THE movie. ColKid60

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• What do you expect from a pig but a grunt?

Matt Damon is a one-trick-pony, and thought Glen Campbell sang his way through the last version! One can bet that this one will be filled with lots of profanity and (my guess) not NEAR as faithful adaptation to the book as the original.

Whenever there's a remake of a movie based on a book, and the original is somewhat iconic, the new one nearly ALWAYS claims that IT will follow MORE closely to the book!!

It's an H-town idiotic marketing ploy to appeal to a new crowd, and trade on Bridge's Oscar win. It was unfair of the "writer" to be so biased against JW, to the point that a 3rd grader could see it, but Hollywood has a BAD habit of tearing down people who've down the most for it, and worshipping the few who done the least and punished it the most with their actions...

Ah well...I'll be sitting at home on Christmas anyway!!

• Put a patch over Deputy Steven Seagal's eye, and there yuh have Rooster Cogburn
    Besides, no one else matches John Wayne's toughness in today's films like Seagal does!:wink_smile:
    Milla Jovovich could reprise the role of Maddie:hyper:
    Billy Ray Cyrus could do Glen Campbell's role

J Duke W :angel1:

• Jeff Bridges was signed for the part long before there was any Oscar talk about Crazy Heart. Matt Damon is far from being my favorite actor but Glen Campbell was laughable.

I read the book fairly recently and in it Mattie guesses Rooster is around 40 and La Boeuf around 25. Odd they make him so much older in the films.

• Jeff was signed in October. Crazy Heart was released December 16.

The Coen Brothers tend to work with the same actors repeatedly and Jeff was The Dude in the Big Lebowski.

• As I remember, Duke tried to option the book when it first came out as a vehicle for himself but Wallis got it first. Duke wanted the Rooster role, and except for age, was perfect. Wallis musta thought so too.