True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 261,469 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• That's a great way to look at it, Chester. It does make The Duke shine even brighter in terms of renewed attention to him. Undoubtedly, due to this remake, scores of folks are just now "discovering" the treasure of John Wayne's legendary work! :gora: Thank you for pointing out this uplifting perspective!

Blessings to you,

Kcat :laugh:

• I thought the movie was good, I really enjoyed it. It was, however, overhyped, like most of the Coen brother's movies. Jeff Bridges was good in the role, I suppose, though I thought he overdid the voice a little and I'm getting tired of him playing drunks all the time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• I just cant bring myself to watch it ... really dont like to watch remakes of favourite movies ... especially Westerns ...
    Dont watch many Westerns after 1960's, they have to be very very good

• I finally saw it, and I kind of liked it. But ofcause it was not as good, John Wayne had a way to be funny and was more natural. It seemed like a mini serie.

But I injoyed it, as it was funny to see how the turned the different sences.

monsieur, you are lulu!

• Note. TCM is running a nifty little Jeff Bridges western, Hearts of the West, Friday Nov. 4 at 11 am (CT). It doesn't show up on TV often. Andy Griffith is in it, also.

• I noticed the Lonesome Dove comments and agree its a great western. Would have loved to seen Duke, Jimmy Stewart and Henry Fonda do it as it was originally written for them.

• After going to the theater and seeing the new True Grit. I came home an tivoed on direct TV,the 1969 version I watched it on friday of the same week as the new movie.
    One thing I believe now is the basic movie is very good writing. I haven't read the
    book, but the story is a great story. That makes both movies better from the start.
    I believe the overall scripts are close in the main part but, some of the small talk in the script of the 2010 version was a little better.
    Having said that I probably will choose to watch Dukes version mostly and only
    occasionally the 2010 version. What I feared the most that they would only show the later movie as they have done with some other remakes, I don't think will happen.
    They are two excellent movies, but Duke makes the 1969 version more desirable to watch.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

Edited once, last by colkid60: Reading clarity,spacing, indentation ().

• I would be curious to know how many people who originally answered the above poll, "Not yet, but I intend to" have actually since seen the movie, and what their opinion is, having now seen it.

I know I most definitely had negative feelings towards it originally, but it turned out to be a pretty good movie, and most definitely raised awareness among a younger generation of John "Duke" Wayne! There was not a single article about the remake that did not reference the original.

Carl, I think you should relent and take the time to watch it. It's NOT Duke, but it's not bad, either!

• While I quite enjoyed the remake, I have to lean more to the original movie. It's largely the borderline terrible bookends of the remake, but also that the performances are so much stronger and more interesting in the original.

Wayne REALLY shines as Rooster, while Bridges just seems kinda... typical. I will admit that i think I enjoyed the new Maddie Ross, but while I'm a really big fan of Ben Foster, he's no Robert Duvall. He might have made for a good replacement for Hopper though.

>:-)

• :angel:

I would be curious to know how many people who originally answered the above poll, "Not yet, but I intend to" have actually since seen the movie, and what their opinion is, having now seen it.

I know I most definitely had negative feelings towards it originally, but it turned out to be a pretty good movie, and most definitely raised awareness among a younger generation of John "Duke" Wayne! There was not a single article about the remake that did not reference the original.

Carl, I think you should relent and take the time to watch it. It's NOT Duke, but it's not bad, either!

Made a point to watch the new True Grit and came away with a feeling much like you describe here, Chester. I thought that had the two movies been combined into one, with The Duke as the star, it would have made an even more awesome movie.:angel:

Edited once, last by Kcat ().

• I really enjoyed this movie when I went too see it at the cinema a few months ago with my father who happily remarked that it was just Duke but not as good, though I still enjoyed it. This made me curious about the original as I had always seen Duke as a guy my father and grandfather loved from their childhoods and knew little about him outside his Wiki page but after watching the original I was hooked and have a become a huge Duke fan. Even for the fans who hated this film they can take comfort that it has made many including myself a Duke fan, if nothing else.

• I really enjoyed this movie when I went too see it at the cinema a few months ago with my father who happily remarked that it was just Duke but not as good, though I still enjoyed it. This made me curious about the original as I had always seen Duke as a guy my father and grandfather loved from their childhoods and knew little about him outside his Wiki page but after watching the original I was hooked and have a become a huge Duke fan. Even for the fans who hated this film they can take comfort that it has made many including myself a Duke fan, if nothing else.

Gareth,
    Interesting observation and one we have found to be true.
    I think many who have seen the remake, looked out for the original,
    and hence like yourself became Duke fans.
    We are obviously unsure to what Duke would have made of it
    but you can be sure that he would be pleased
    that the western genre was still alive and kicking.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited once, last by ethanedwards ().

• I waited on the DVD and watched it in the comfort of my recliner. I did not plan to like it and actually intended to hate it but I didn't. I'm not a big Cohen Brothers fan but they didn't completely ruin it. How's that for a pile of faint praise.

I am happy for the publicity it gave the original.

• The reason the Dukes version is better is he's bigger that life. He makes every one in his films shine. I like Jeff bridges ,but he should never be compared to the Duke. Bridges version is dark and the Dukes is bright and every thing jumps out at you. They are two seperate films and should be taken on there own merits.

• I would be curious to know how many people who originally answered the above poll, "Not yet, but I intend to" have actually since seen the movie, and what their opinion is, having now seen it.

I think im one of those who voted about not seeing it yet but--I just don't think I can force myself into seeing it. I like Jeff Bridges--but just cant stand the other. Maybe if he gets killed off early in the movie maybe i can watch it but???

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• PS, sorry im so negative on this movie--but-here is one other thing I found myself doing more than once when im in a store and see both makes of the movie side by side. I somehow just manage to grab a copy of Dukes version, but somehow managed to place it in front of the other version when im putting it back on the shelf. :lol::lol:

I just "can't" watch this movie knowing damon is in it. Same goes if it were cLOONEY, sean pennhead and others like them if they were part of it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I liked the new version, had no problem with it at all! But the one difference between the two is that the classic version is one of my favorites, if not my very favorite movie. Can't say that about the new one! You just can't outdo a classic!

Duke and Bridges did many of the very same Charles Portis lines, but to me, Duke did them much better! He had such great delivery! (Side note: Back when I did stand-up comedy, to get my delivery right, I studied John Wayne as much or more than I did any comedian! Believe it or not)

• Didn't like the remake at all. Found it all very blah. Even the music score was boring. Only reason I watched part of it was out of curiosity. I don't think that had this not had been a remake (especilly a John Wayne) it would not have done as well as it did.

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara