True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 261,865 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "The only credit we can take from that is we didn't change it from the novel," Ethan Coen says of the 1968 novel by Charles Portis. "The dialogue is taken pretty much entirely from the book."

Just from the trailers, I've noted numerous "changes" they've made to the dialogue. Their idea of "pretty much" is open for discussion.

• I would love to know what motivated Jeff Bridges to wear the eye patch over his right eye instead of over his left eye as JW did in the original version of this film. Bridges is clearly right handed as some of the trailer clips show him firing his Winchester with the rifle stock up against his right shoulder and using his right hand to cock the rifle as well as pulling the trigger. Anyone who has ever fired a rifle, any rifle, with the weapon up against their right shoulder knows that it is impossible to line up the rear sight with the front sight using only their left eye to aim at a target. The right cheek is planted firmly up against the rifle stock and there is absolutely no way that the left eye can be used to sight in on a target. If he's shooting from the hip then it's not a problem but shooting with the butt of the rifle up against his right shoulder means that the shooter is not at all sure just where that bullet is going to wind up.

Also, it'll be interesting this time to see whether the actor Barry Pepper who now plays the role of Lucky Ned Pepper shoots with his right hand or his left. He was the "left handed" sharpshooter in Saving Private Ryan.

• I agree the cover is menacing, he's a tough hombre. How does hollywood think the can redo True Grit! I guess to the youngins whom have never seen the real true Grit!! I guess the progressives must make all conservatives disappear in history for the young so they'll only know what they tell em. Kick out Jesus, kick out John Wayne, they would like to do, but as long as I live and mykids like hell they will. Merry Christmas.

Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

• The new True Grit is NOT an "us versus them" political issue.

What it is, is that it's the same old same old in that Hollywood LOVES to remake stuff, especially when it comes with a brand name. Paramount is seeing dollar signs, not political signs.

-- Paula the Progressive who has no desire whatsoever to kick out Jesus, Christmas, John Wayne (I LOVE John Wayne) or guns.

• Most of the reviews I've read about this remake thus far make it quite evident that hardly any of the reviewers have even read the novel.

• Glen Campbell's brief appearance, unfortunately, reminded me how much I loathed the original's theme music. Well, nothing's perfect.

I recently listened to an interview with Don Black who wrote that music and he said it was the most difficult music script he has ever had to do. The words "True Grit" were very difficult to work around.

Bob

• Lots of news articles about the screening of the "True Grit" remake, which was held in L.A. on Dec. 9th. (Google True Grit Remake Screening). Perhaps the Coens picked up on how the "Hawaii 5-0" remake seems to have succeeded because it pays a certain amount of homage to the original series as they had Kim Darby at the screening of the new film. She posed for photos with Hailee Steinfeld.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com…screened-in-Beverly-Hills

• TCM is having a John Wayne day on Dec. 22, the day the True Grit remake opens. Here's the schedule (which includes the original True Grit). Times are Eastern Standard.

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/in…2/2010&timezone=EST&cid=N

22 Wednesday
    6:00 AM Rio Lobo (1970)
    A Civil War veteran searches for the traitor behind a friend's death. Cast: John Wayne, Jorge Rivero, Jack Elam. Dir: Howard Hawks. C-114 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

8:00 AM Fort Apache (1948)
    An experienced cavalry officer tries to keep his new, by-the-books commander from triggering an Indian war. Cast: John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Shirley Temple. Dir: John Ford. BW-128 mins, TV-PG, CC, DVS

10:15 AM She Wore A Yellow Ribbon (1949)
    An aging Cavalry officer tries to prevent an Indian war in the last days before his retirement. Cast: John Wayne, Joanne Dru, Ben Johnson. Dir: John Ford. C-104 mins, TV-PG, CC, DVS

12:00 PM Rio Grande (1950)
    A cavalry unit located on the Mexican border must control Indian uprisings. Cast: John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Ben Johnson. Dir: John Ford. BW-105 mins, TV-PG, CC

1:45 PM Searchers, The (1956)
    An Indian-hating Civil War veteran tracks down the tribe that slaughtered his family and kidnapped his niece. Cast: John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, Natalie Wood. Dir: John Ford. C-119 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

3:45 PM 3 Godfathers (1948)
    Three outlaws on the run risk their freedom and their lives to return a newborn to civilization. Cast: John Wayne, Pedro Armendariz, Harry Carey, Jr. Dir: John Ford. C-106 mins, TV-G, CC

5:45 PM Sons of Katie Elder, The (1965)
    A ranch-owner's four sons vow to avenge their father's death. Cast: John Wayne, Dean Martin, Martha Hyer. Dir: Henry Hathaway. C-122 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

8:00 PM True Grit (1969)
    A young girl recruits an aging U.S. marshal to help avenge her father's death. Cast: John Wayne, Kim Darby, Glen Campbell. Dir: Henry Hathaway. C-128 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

10:15 PM Rio Bravo (1959)
    A sheriff enlists a drunk, a kid and an old man to help him fight off a ruthless cattle baron. Cast: John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson. Dir: Howard Hawks. C-141 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

12:45 AM McLintock! (1963)
    A cattle baron fights to tame the West and his estranged wife. Cast: John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Stefanie Powers. Dir: Andrew V. McLaglen. C-127 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

3:00 AM Big Jake (1971)
    A rancher leads the posse out to recover his kidnapped grandson. Cast: John Wayne, Richard Boone, Patrick Wayne. Dir: George Sherman. C-110 mins, TV-14, CC, Letterbox Format

5:00 AM Man From Monterey, The (1933)
    A U.S. Cavalry officer tries to protect Spanish landowners in California. Cast: John Wayne, Lillian Leighton, Donald Reed. Dir: Mack V. Wright. BW-57 mins, TV-G, CC

• Some people need to take a step back from their hatred of a film any of us has not even seen. I for one look forward to seeing a new western. Remake or not, of a very good book. Which I have read three times over the years.
    I first read this True Grit in 1968 before the movie was made. I had thought of another actor who in his prime could had played Rooster, that being Wallace Beery for those old enough to remember him.
    Hollywood remakes good films for two reasons.
    One. To make money. Two. Very few young people watch old films. Most will not even know this it a remake.
    Remember JW made remakes. The Spoliers, Three Godfathers, The Alamo and even remade his own movie EL Dorado.
    Some people complain that Jeff Bridges wares the eye patch over the wrong eye, has a beard ,shots with the wrong eye. ( I was in the Marines and we had good shots who closed the off eye)
    The book only says Rooster had a bad eye, no word of a eye patch.
    In the book Rooster is about 40 years old with a mustache.
    All I,am trying to say is this it only another version of a very good western novel.
    If this film fails, I'll be long in my grave before anyone makes another western.
    This film will not diminish Dukes great legacy one bit.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

Edited once, last by BILL OF PA ().

This film will not diminish Dukes great legacy one bit.

That's what I've been saying. The old movie is my all time favorite, and will always be, and as I've said before, it's not going anywhere!

AS a fan of the novel, I am looking forward to this new version. I hope it's a hit, and I hope to see more westerns on the big screen. (Hopefully original stories, and Westerns without aliens and zombies!!!)

Edited 2 times, last by ZS_Maverick: not bad spelling....bad typing!!! ().

• I'm kind of interested in seeing it myself. It looks interesting and we don't get many westerns made to watch these days. From the trailers I've seen, It looks decent enough. I do think it will be difficult getting use to Bridge's version of Rooster Cogburn. Duke made his Rooster a likeable "vagabond", while Bridge's looks like his is more gruff and not friendly. But, I'll see it none the less. There is no fear of it eclipsing the original in any of our hearts, so what can it hurt?

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I'm with ZS on this. I try to look at remakes as separate movies without any relationship to the original. Duke's "True Grit" will not lose any status in my mind. It seems the consensus on the remake is that it's Oscar material and Jeff Bridges should be at the same level! Of course, this may be hype since not many people can have seen the movie this far ahead of the release.
    We will see!!!!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

we don't get many westerns made to watch these days

There maybe some more on the way,

Oscar-winning Brokeback Mountain scribes Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana are in the midst of two major period Western feature films projects. They are scripting The Color of Lightning for Ridley Scott to direct at 20th Century Fox, and they are at the center of a new deal at Warner Bros to adapt the S. C. Gwynne book Empire of the Summer Moon into a film that will be directed by Crazy Heart helmer Scott Cooper. Both projects are produced by Scott Free.

First, they will complete The Color of Lightning, an adaptation the Paulette Jiles book that was published by Harper Collins. Britt Johnson is a freed slave who moves his wife and three children to Texas with dreams of starting a freight business. When he's away, a raiding party of Commanche and Kiowa kill his oldest son and take his family captive. Johnson spends a winter plotting revenge. The story is loosely based on a factual tale said to be an inspiration for the classic Western The Searchers.

The S.C. Gwynne book Empire of the Summer Moon is certainly more sympathetic to the Commanches. The book is a Braveheart-style epic about the great Commanche warrior Quanah, who held the westward expansion of settlers at bay for 40 years, and led to the formation of the Texas Rangers to fight against them.

Published last summer by Scribner, Empire of the Summer Moon focuses on the warrior skills of Quanah, considered the greatest chief the tribe ever had. A big part of the story is the chief's mother, Cynthia Ann Parker, a blue-eyed honey-haired child who was kidnapped by the Commanches when she was 9 and incorporated into the tribe. Her son steeled the Commanches to become ferocious warriors, and the primary impediment to Western expansion.

"Quanah was the last great Commanche chief, considered the key to what they called 'The Commanche Barrier' to settling the West," Gwynne told me. "He came to power very young and led the Commanches in the last great wars against the white man. One of the interesting parts of the story was that his mother was the most famous captive of the era. She was the white squaw who refused to return, until she was finally brought back against her will by the Texas Rangers."

McMurtry, of course, also wrote the novel Lonesome Dove, which was adapted into the seminal miniseries. Westerns have become scarce in Hollywood, but that could change with the upcoming Joel and Ethan Coen-directed True Grit, which brings back he charm of the genre. UTA repped McMurtry and Ossana, and brokered the Empire of the Summer Moon deal with lit agency McCormick-Williams.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/1…-pair-of-period-westerns/

• Wouldn't it be the absolute height of irony if Bridges won the Best Actor Oscar for this picture?

In 1932 Fredric March won best actor for Dr. Jekll and Mr.Hyde.
    In 1941 Spencer Tracy in the remake was not nominated.
    Not an easy thing to do.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

Edited once, last by BILL OF PA ().

• Not an eaey thing to do.

Let's hope so, Bill. I like to think that role was made exclusively for Duke's Oscar.

What is ironic is that he won a Best Actor Oscar for a performance in which he, in effect, poked fun at his own screen image.

De gustibus non est disputandum