The Tall Men (1955)

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,879 times. The latest Post () was by MichaelHarrison.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• THE TALL MEN

DIRECTED BY RAOUL WALSH
    MUSIC BY VICTOR YOUNG
    TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPORATION

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
    Two brothers, Ben and Clint, join a cattle drive from Texas to Montana. While heading for Texas they save Nella from the Indians, and she decides to ride with them. Ben and Nella start to get romantic, but Ben isn't ambitious enough for her, and she soon meets up with the boss of the cattle drive. Will she make the right choice, and, more importantly, will the cattle make it to Montana !
    Written by Colin Tinto

Cast
    Clark Gable ... Colonel Ben Allison
    Jane Russell ... Nella Turner
    Robert Ryan ... Nathan Stark
    Cameron Mitchell ... Clint Allison
    Juan García ... Luis (as Juan Garcia)
    Harry Shannon ... Sam
    Emile Meyer ... Chickasaw Charlie
    Steve Darrell ... Colonel Norris (as Stevan Darrell)
    Mae Marsh ... Emigrant (uncredited)
    Chuck Roberson ... Alva Jenkin, Jayhawker Leader (uncredited)
    Russell Simpson ... Emigrant (uncredited)
    and many more...

Directed
    Raoul Walsh

Writing Credits
    Sydney Boehm ... (screenplay) and
    Frank S. Nugent ... (screenplay) (as Frank Nugent)
    Heck Allen ... (from the novel by) (as Clay Fisher)

Produced
    William A. Bacher ... producer
    William B. Hawks ... producer

Music
    Victor Young

Cinematography
    Leo Tover ... director of photography

Trivia
    Clark Gable had to stand on a box to look taller than his 6'4" co-star Robert Ryan in one scene.

Robert Ryan was ill with hepatitis and had to leave the production for two weeks.

Clark Gable crash dieted before filming began in order to lose 25 lbs.

Most of the long shots of Clark Gable were actually a double.

Clark Gable was never on location for the Montana scenes.

As Clark Gable was 54, 36-year-old Cameron Mitchell was cast as his teenage brother.

Average Shot Length = ~11 seconds. Median Shot Length = ~10.1 seconds.

In 1954, this was announced as a starring vehicle for Clark Gable and John Wayne, but Wayne withdrew.
    They were also, both announced for "Hatari" in 1960, but Gable died whilst the movie was in pre-production.

It was reported that Clark Gable wore lifts for this film, so he would look more in line with Robert Ryan.

The Tall Men was the movie advertised on the marquee at Grauman's Chinese Theater when Lucy steals John Wayne's footprints in the I Love Lucy episode, "Lucy Visits Grauman's".

Crazy Credits
    Opening credits prologue: MONTANA TERRITORY 1866

They came from the South, headed for the goldfields...Ben and Clint Allison, lonely, desperate men. Riding away from a heartbreak memory of Gettysburg. Looking for a new life. A story of tall men - and long shadows.

Goofs
    Anachronisms
    When the Jayhawkers are collecting money from Clark Gable, during a close up view of him, in the far distance behind him, you can see what is a vehicle, maybe a truck moving along a road or highway. This is supposed to be 1866.

When they start driving the herd of cattle to Montana (appr. at 61st minute), in the sand in front of the herd the tracks of a car are visible.

Continuity
    When Ben and Clint first enter the saloon and the livery stable in Mineral City, Clint's two-gun rig is hidden by his coat. When Clint follows Stark into the livery stable, his guns are strapped on the outside and over his coat, yet when they ride out of town, his guns are back under the coat.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
    Durango, Mexico
    Sierra de Organos, Sombrerete, Zacatecas, Mexico (location)
    20th Century Fox Studios - 10201 Pico Blvd., Century City, Los Angeles, California, USA (studio)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Tall Men is a 1955 American western film directed by
    Raoul Walsh and starring Clark Gable, Jane Russell and Robert Ryan.

The 20th Century Fox film was produced by William A. Bacher and William B. Hawks.
    Sydney Boehm and Frank S. Nugent wrote the screenplay,
    based on a novel by Heck Allen (as Clay Fisher).

Apart from star, Duke 'Pal' Robert Ryan
    also look out for Mae Marsh, Chuck Roberson, Russell Simpson

User Review

fair but not spectacular fare
    9 February 2006 | by planktonrules (Bradenton, Florida)

Quote from plank

Despite this film starring Clark Gable, Cameron Mitchell and Robert Ryan, it's not exactly the most exciting or interesting film I've ever seen. In fact, with these stars I really expected something more memorable. Instead, it's an unusual but completely ordinary Western about a kidnapping and Gable and Mitchell hiding out with Jane Russell. The dialog is pretty far-fetched and the story just seems to drag. Maybe part of it was because the movie was often set in the middle of winter during a snow storm--this couldn't help but give the movie a certain degree of claustrophobia--keeping much of the "action" indoors. While I am not saying it's a bad film, there are better ones and unless you are a die-hard fan, try watching some other Gable or Ryan film first.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Jane Russell was never that great an actress. She was usually hired for two reasons and that men would pay admission money to see those reasons.

She was very intelligent and knew her acting limitations but had the business sense on capitalizing on her assets.

"It was me...I shot Liberty Valance."

• Official Post

Jane knew what paid the rent. I remember reading somewhere that when making The Outlaw, Howard Hughes had a special bra made for her just to accentuate those assets. It made me check out that film! :D

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Jane Russell was never that great an actress. She was usually hired for two reasons and that men would pay admission money to see those reasons.

She was very intelligent and knew her acting limitations but had the business sense on capitalizing on her assets.

The film began well, but when Gable and Russell were in the snowstorm the story seemed to grind to a halt.

It would have been OK if she had sung the song once, but not about four times.

Cameron Mitchell was the best actor.