The Last Wagon (1956)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There is 1 reply in this Thread. The last Post () by ethanedwards.

• The Last Wagon (1956)

THE LAST WAGON

DIRECTED BY DELMER DAVES
      MUSIC BY LIONEL NEWMAN
      TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX FILM CORPRATION

INFORMATION FROM IMDb

Plot Summary
      When a handful of settlers survive an Apache attack on their wagon train they must put their lives into the hands of Comanche Todd, a white man who has lived with the Comanches most of his life and is wanted for the murder of three men.
      Written by A.L.Beneteau <[email protected]>

Cast
      Richard Widmark ... Comanche Todd
      Felicia Farr ... Jenny
      Susan Kohner ... Jolie Normand
      Tommy Rettig ... Billy
      Stephanie Griffin ... Valinda Normand
      Ray Stricklyn ... Clint
      Nick Adams ... Ridge
      Carl Benton Reid ... Gen. Howard
      Douglas Kennedy ... Col. Normand
      George Mathews ... Sheriff Bull Harper
      James Drury ... Lt. Kelly
      Ken Clark ... Sergeant
      and many more...

Directed
      Delmer Daves

Writing Credits
      James Edward Grant ... (screenplay)
      Delmer Daves ... (screenplay) and
      Gwen Bagni ... (screenplay)(story) (as Gwen Bagni Gielgud)

Produced
      William B. Hawks ... producer

Music
      Lionel Newman

Cinematography
      Wilfred M. Cline ... director of photography (as Wilfrid Cline)

Trivia
      Average Shot Length = ~6.7 seconds. Median Shot Length = ~6.1 seconds. Both values are fast for a reasonably early CinemaScope film.

Crazy Credits
      Opening credits prologue: 1873 Arizona Territory

Goofs
      Anachronisms
      During the first reel, the Sheriff shoots Comanche Todd (Richard Widmark) in the left shoulder. Todd clutches at his shoulder and, grimacing with pain, collapses on the ground and the Sheriff captures him. Directly afterwards, the wound disappears and the top of Todd's buckskin jacket sleeve remains unmarked throughout the rest of the film, as though the wounding had never happened.

Continuity
      During the last third of the film, Tommy Rettig's hair goes from being long and fair, with a fringe, to being short and dark and brushed back and then back again on two occasions.

Crew or equipment visible
      Just before The End title comes up, you can see the shadow of the camera crew as Todd rides off.

Memorable Quotes

Filming Locations
      Sedona, Arizona, USA
      Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, Arizona, USA
      Red Rock Crossing, Sedona, Arizona, USA (opening titles and gunfight sequence)
      Bell Rock, Sedona, Arizona, USA
      Courthouse Butte, Sedona, Arizona, USA
      Schnebly Hill, Sedona, Arizona, USA
      Boynton Canyon, Sedona, Arizona, USA

Watch the Movie

[extendedmedia]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDS7p5lBDx0[/extendedmedia]
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 1 time, last by ethanedwards ().

• The Last Wagon is a 1956 western film starring Richard Widmark.
      It was co-written and directed by Delmer Daves and tells a story set
      during the American Indian Wars: the survivors of an Indian massacre
      must rely on a man wanted for several murders to lead them out of danger.

Tommy Rettig, who plays Jenny's younger brother Billy, is re-united with Widmark.
      He played Widmark's son in the 1950 film noir Panic in the Streets.

Production
      The film was shot on location in Sedona, AZ, at the mouth of Oak Creek Canyon. Director Delmer Daves described the difficulty he had in finding a pristine location for the film, as his previous western, Broken Arrow (1950), had popularized the region. The film suffered some jarring continuity errors that somehow were not noticed in the preview theatre before the film was released. During the last third of the film, Tommy Rettig's hair goes from being long and fair, with a fringe, to being short back and sides and dark and brushed back and then back again on two occasions, once in the same scene.
      It was shot in DeLuxe Color and CinemaScope.
      Lastwagon_zps8aeb1c23 (1).jpg

User Review

The film that made a movie fan out of me
      9 March 2002 | by Jeff Hill (jeffhill1) (Sapporo, Japan)"The Last Wagon" is the very first movie I ever went nuts over; and

jeff wrote:

I've been a movie fan ever since. I was nine and I didn't even want to go to the movies that Saturday night. But my parents wanted to see "Bus Stop" and they didn't want to get a baby sitter for me and my three year old brother, so they dragged us along. But they had made a mistake when reading the starting times of the films and when we got to the theater, "The Last Wagon", not "Bus Stop" was starting. From the moment Richard Widmark shot the first bad guy even before the opening credits and the enveloping overture, I was hooked on him, the western scenery, the action, the anthropological dramatization of Comanche vs. Apache tribal hostilities at the same time that all Native American cultures were being wiped out by encroaching white "civilization", and the enthralling background music. When the co-feature of "Bus Stop" concluded, I wanted to stay to see "The Last Wagon" again. My parents had to drag me out
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England

The post was edited 5 times, last by ethanedwards ().