GLEN CAMPBELL PAYS TRIBUTE TO JOHN WAYNE WITH MOVING PERFORMANCE OF 'TRUE GRIT'

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,820 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Kevin added a new article:

[entry]18[/entry]

• Aside from True Grit and other TV and media I had the good fortune to see Glen Campbell play live and meet him at a small corporate event in 1985. He was as gracious as ever, and I never heard anyone anywhere say a bad word about the man.

The interesting thing is that Glen started as primarily a gifted guitar player, doing studio and session work along with the rest of what was popularly known as "the Wrecking Crew" ( Tommy Tedesco, Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, and a bunch of other musicians ) who collectively made a career of doing L.A. studio work on other major stars albums. They were featured on a huge number of hit albums playing many of the famous guitar and drum licks you only thought the big name bands were playing. He was one of the few to break out of that work into Pop and Solo work on his own and the rest, as they say, is history.

I had several vinyl guitar albums that featured some of his early work- he was quite good, and often wasn't given the opportunity to show that on many mainstream TV shows. The song Rhinestone Cowboy wasn't written by Glen but he took it up and it was far more autobiographical than most people ever knew-

I've been walkin' these streets so long
    Singin' the same old song
    I know every crack in these dirty sidewalks of Broadway
    Where hustle's the name of the game
    And nice guys get washed away like the snow and the rain
    There's been a load of compromisin'
    On the road to my horizon
    But I'm gonna be where the lights are shinin' on me