John Wayne's gun belt

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 2 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by DCtheQuietMan.

• John Wayne's gun belt

I'm new to the site. I've been a John Wayne fan all my life but I'm no expert on him. I've always been curious about something and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it for me. Why did Wayne always wear his gun belt so low on his hips? I've noticed some other western starts did the same. Was it just common at the time or were they imitating his style? Or was there some other reason? Thanks in advance for your help. Kevin.
    • Hello and welcome to the board, KevinY. I never heard the reason but often thought that the lower the gun belt was, the faster your hand and gun can clear the holster. Anyone else know why this is?

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • I don't know for a fact but I have heard it said that gunmen would wear the belts low for a quicker draw. It doesn't seem historically very accurate; because I don't know how you would ride a horse with your gunbelt that low. I suppose the logic behind it is that you would want your gun to hang about level with where your hand would be naturally swinging; so that if in a sudden gun battle you could draw quickly.