My Duke "Pilgrim"age in Southern California Christmas 2017

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 24 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by mahya.

• I missed a lot when I was in southern California. Great photos. I should try to find the selfie of me at Duke star on the Hollywood walk of Fame.
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com
    • More Hollywood Walk of Fame pictures. In all these I managed to get the BATJAC logo down but sometimes there were just too many people moving around. Later I will try to post some others and some that aren't associated with Duke but are pretty cool.
      Files
      • Slide7.JPG

(401.54 kB, downloaded 5 times, last: )
      • Slide8.JPG

(239.83 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
      • Slide9.JPG

(298.34 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
    • Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. A block or so west of Grauman's Theater is Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum. I had always figured this would be kind of corny, and it was, but it was fun at the same time. You can only take so many pictures with Duke and I wanted to put some of the other pictures here as well. I suspect you will recognize every one. The last one with Elvis are both daughters and my wife. Some of the figures were very life like. Some less so. Duke's figure was one of the "Just OK" ones. That may be because it's older than some of them and technology has made even wax figure making better. Eastwood's, McQueen's, Butch and Sundance are also OK but the Star Trek ones are near perfect as is Bob Hope.
      Files
      • Slide1.JPG

(120.52 kB, downloaded 5 times, last: )
      • Slide2.JPG

(155.43 kB, downloaded 5 times, last: )
      • Slide3.JPG

(177.43 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
      • Slide4.JPG

(166.21 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
      • Slide5.JPG

(113.6 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
      • Slide6.JPG

(130.42 kB, downloaded 5 times, last: )
      • Slide7.JPG

(116.09 kB, downloaded 7 times, last: )
      • Slide8.JPG

(146.49 kB, downloaded 6 times, last: )
      • Slide9.JPG

(138.2 kB, downloaded 8 times, last: )
      • Slide10.JPG

(170.24 kB, downloaded 8 times, last: )
    • Around Hollywood. Getting close to the end of the Duke "Pilgrim"age. Around Hollywood there are a few signs of Duke though not as many as I am sure there were a few years ago. The first two pictures are of the Hollywood Athletic Club. Most web sites list Duke as a charter member and I remember reading that Ford, Wayne, Bond, and a few others had a "Drinking Room" somewhere in the tower. The next four pictures are of a mural at an intersection of Hollywood Blvd. Lots of easy to recognize folks up front: Duke, Bogey and Bacall, Edward G Robinson, Liz Taylor & Richard Burton, WC Fields, Shirley Temple, James Dean, Brando and on and on. We spent 20 minutes trying to identify as many as we could. If you look a couple of rows back over Duke's left shoulder you'll also se R2D2. The last picture is an 8x10 of Duke in the "Hollywood Museum". It was the only Duke thing I found in the whole place. There was evidence that they had replaced the "western" room with SCI/FI stuff. There was a Roy Rogers poster high up on a wall in a room with Star Wars/Trek stuff. Pretty disappointing as "John Wayne" is prominent in their advertising. One floor was closed off so maybe they're working on it.
      Files
      • Slide1.JPG

(121.67 kB, downloaded 2 times, last: )
      • Slide2.JPG

(196.1 kB, downloaded 2 times, last: )
      • Slide3.JPG

(221.52 kB, downloaded 2 times, last: )
      • Slide4.JPG

(197.23 kB, downloaded 4 times, last: )
      • Slide5.JPG

(221.89 kB, downloaded 5 times, last: )
      • Slide6.JPG

(198.37 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )
      • Slide7.JPG

(123.17 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )

The post was edited 1 time, last by BatjacAuburn ().

• The Musso and Frank Grill. The last night in California we decided to go somewhere really nice to eat. On one of our trips around Hollywood we had been told about The Musso and Frank Grillthat had been open in the same location since 1919 and had been host to almost every star to ever shine in Hollywood. So we made early evening reservations on a Thursday and the place was really pretty cool. This is one of those places that being a waiter is a long term career choice and many have been there for years. Anyway, not cheap by any means, but an entertaining evening with a waiter who told stories about the history of the place at every visit to the table. I heard him say John Wayne while at another table. So when he came back by I asked him if Duke was a regular. Well of course he was!!!! We were then regaled with a story that was loosely based on Duke having been a regular, a heavy drinker, and a fan of a waiter named Rodrigo. The story was long and did not fit the facts as I know them of Duke's final years but it was nice that he at least had a story ready. I didn't correct him as the story had probably been passed from waiter to waiter for 40 years.

We did have a celebrity sighting while we were there as Sharon Gless, Cagney of Cagney and Lacy and more recently the mother in Burn Notice was seated at the table next to us. She was just there to eat with friends. Neat place
      Files
      • IMG_2039.JPG

(2.03 MB, downloaded 2 times, last: )
    • The final Duke related pictures from LA. We visited Duke's grave on the same day we went to the other places in Newport Beach. The grave isn't actually in Newport but from the hill he is buried on you can still see the ocean.. Instructions from the internetled us right to the site. There is a very nice Memorial Park at the gate honoring fallen heroes from all services, police, and firefighters. Duke's grave is simply marked in a cemetery where excessive wealth is prominently on display. I'm sure some of the mausoleums are bigger than my house and cost 10X as much. Well, anyway. Here are the pictures. The red flowers were there when we arrived.
      Files
      • Slide1.JPG

(289.37 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )
      • Slide2.JPG

(232.86 kB, downloaded 3 times, last: )
    • I'm glad that the family finally decided to mark his final resting place. For years, there was nothing. And I love the quote they used on the stone. It has always been one of my favorites. Thanks for taking us on your trip, BatjacAuburn.

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • BatjacAuburn wrote:

The Wild Goose---After leaving John Wayne Airport we tried to go to his home in Newport. GPS took us right up to a gate about 1/2 mile from the house. Apparently being the Biggest John Wayne Fanboy in the world with a car tag that says BATJAC on the dash of the rental car won't get you into a gated community in Newport Beach. Who knew?? So we headed off for the Wild Goose. The yacht even shows up on Googlemaps as the screen capture shows. It was pretty easy to find and get to. We were able to park on the street and walk the 100 yards or so to the dock. We took some pictures and were just standing around looking when a maintenance guy came off the Goose and walked down the dock on the starboard side. He pushed the gate open and walked into a building. I saw my chance and was about to head for the stairway when my wife and kids started yelling at me not to. Discretion ruled the day and I didn't actually get on the Goose, but I was "that close".
      :thumbup: