No one better directs The Duke than Howard Hawks in 'Rio Lobo'

There are 7 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 8,330 times. The latest Post () was by ZS_Maverick.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Kevin added a new article:

[entry]25[/entry]

• Nicely written. Although, I enjoyed Rio Lobo the first time I saw it and the few times since. As you wrote, the movie started great, slowed down through the middle and then picked up at the end. John Wayne, as usual, and the few veteran character actors were great, but the new actors... I always wondered how they ever got the job.

• Hello Barry, and welcome to the group. I often wondered, as well, how they got the job. I wonder if it bothered Duke any, the ultimate professional. I flinch a few times at Jennifer O'Neill and Jorge Rivera's delivery of lines. An enjoyable movie, but not on my often watched list.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I thought Rio Lobo was bad in some of the same ways you guys wrote about. Stilted speaking, etc. However
    they aren't making any more John Wayne movies, so I don't judge it so harshly now.
    Couldn't the director have coaxed some better lines out of some of those people. Duke was still great in it. :)

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• Barry Peters. "I always wondered how they ever got the job."
    My opinion, but I believe Duke wanted the young people in
    his movies. It spread his appeal to another generation.
    I was so glad to see Ricky Nelsen in this movie. He sang also.
    In "North to Alaska," Fabian did an outstanding job of
    playing that part of being smitten with Capucine. Made the
    movie better for me. One of my favorite wayne movies.

"A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

• "Rio Lobo" is one of those movies that reminds me of why I never listen to critics; I watched it again last night and enjoyed every minute of it!

Sure, some of the acting is not that great, but I see that in a lot of movies made in the late 60's and through the 70's - even in big critically acclaimed movies; it's just a product of the times!

Of course, two of my favorites will always be "Rio Bravo" and "El Dorado"; "Rio Lobo" may pale in comparison with those; but to me, it's still a lot of fun and a very enjoyable watch!