Why Not Give Us A Little Personal Info

There are 92 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 28,005 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Duke Fans; ....I was just going through some of the members profiles and some of you guys are pretty tight lipped. I think it adds to the fun when you can give a little info such as age,location and occupation. Like I say it kind puts things straight when I am Talking to a 25 year old Aussie or a 80 year old Texan. I probably won't be able to tell the 80 year old Texan that he doesn't have a clue what happened in 1939.....Get My Drift (tongue in cheek). I just feel it makes this board a bit more interesting. Give what you want of course,look at mine,I am not real shy. It is up to you. Send a feedback good or bad,I can take it...Watch the Duke with a Friend...SaddleTramp....

• Saddle Tramp; I think you are right! When I was younger I did not want anyone to know anything about my life ! Now at the age of 73 years I do not give a Dam ! I have had one hell of a good life. 73 years old, thats one year older than the DUKE lived ! I am a engineer and in my early years wanted to be in the movies and did so. I am a pilot of 55 years and have done many films as the camera plane pilot. I have produced and directed 7 made for T.V. films "The Gunfighters" for the Hearst Corp., but I did not give up my day job as a Pilot. I was lucky to have worked in some of the early films of the Duke, and later in life spend 3 days at Hearst Wyntoon with him. He was one hell of a man! I liked what he told the director of "The Shootist" Don Siegel when he wanted the DUKE to drop his pants for one scene and he told him "There aren't going to be any bare asses in any movie I'm in , particularly if the bare ass is mine"! This was a real mans man!!! Chilibill :cowboy:

• I guess I have stirred a little intrest. I was born in southwest Saskatchewan and I still live here with my wife and family. We own and operate our own cattle ranch and live in a very beatiful but harsh(in the winter) area. I am 45 years young and like guns ,hunting,THE DUKE,my family and my way of life.And I will fight anyone who wants to take any of it away from me. I don't care for politcs or any other type of person who steals from me ,legally or othewise. I like a good joke as long as it isn't at someones expense and I am not a racist because I hate everyone eaqually(that is suposed to be a joke..HA..HA..)Any one that is a DUKE fan has to be a great person so keep up the posts.You'll all do to ride the river with...SaddleTramp....

"This was a real mans man!!!"

You got that right, Bill. And yet he was popular with many of the ladies too, for some oddball reason. Don't know why, as he sure wasn't any great shakes as a screen lover. The wife and I had a running joke - every time we'd see Big John take a woman in his arms for one of those rare love scenes, we'd look at each other and say, "Crunnnnch"! :lol:

You know, friends, it's time we all admitted something that apparently everybody on this board is determined to ignore. And that's the unpleasant truth that our hero really wasn't much of an actor. Oh, I know, that's heresy, particularly here, but true nonetheless. We didn't love the big galoot for his acting ability but for his screen (and personal) image of a strong, principled, courageous and dignified man.

I can't think of more than five or six of the Duke's pictures that I thought he did a respectable job of acting but he was like the Mt. Rushmore of Hollywood - a veritable mountain of strength and righteous conviction that we all loved because of what he stood for. Chevy's commercial says, "Like A Rock" - well, that's what Duke represented in my mind at least. But an actor, nawwww. :lol:

Now, if you wish to banish me to the far ends of the earth for this sacrilege, I'll go quietly.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• This makes it nicer knowing a little about anyone that you are talking to. I am glad that some of you live in the Bundocks like me ! I had a bull ranch near Paso Robles , Ca. but never made any money at it untill I sold out. I now live on a small ranch in the Verde Valley near Sedona, Az. and can go out the front door and see where the Duke made parts of some of his films. Chilibill :cowboy:

• I like the idea of knowing a little more about everyone. I will be 50 September 2004 and live in Newport News, VA. I grew up in Texas, Louisisana, and Arizona. I can't ever remember not being a JW fan. My dad was so we always watched his films. I love most all westerns. Love to see the southwest in films as I so miss living there. I try to go back every year. My sister and mom live in Springerville/Eagar, AZ close to where JW had the 26th Bar Ranch, I even stayed in the JW suite at a local motel in area for my 15th wedding anniversary. This year will be celebrating my 30th in May.

"I now live on a small ranch in the Verde Valley near Sedona, Az. and can go out the front door and see where the Duke made parts of some of his films." Chilibill

In the minds of most people, Arizona is mostly a continuation of Mexico's Sonoran desert. That was my impression also before the wife and I drove out to Phoenix a couple of years ago to visit an uncle at Thanksgiving. But I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the state has some of the most beautiful and spectacular scenery in the entire world. And as a military retiree, I've seen quite a bit of this old planet.

On the way out, we stopped at one of those ubiquitous Indian trading posts just across the New Mexico line on I40. Never before in my 66 years had I seen a sky that was such an incredibly striking shade of blue as the sky over that location. It was almost unbelievably blue. Sure no air pollution at Lupton, Arizona.

At Holbrook, we turned off the interstate and drove down through Payson and the Tonto National Forest. We passed through some really beautiful mountain scenery that had tall pines and long vistas to the horizon. It wasn't until the last 40 or 50 miles before reaching Mesa and Phoenix that we actually got into the sun-blasted desert terrain with lots of saguaro cactuses that appears in most tourist brochures from Arizona.

When we left my uncle's place a couple of weeks later, we drove up to Sedona and the Grand Canyon before heading back to Texas. Sedona's location is in what has to be some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere. Huge mesas of red rock all around. And like Chilibill says, the whole countryside around Sedona looks like something out of a Western movie.

But we saved the best for last. I'm not ashamed to say that my first glimpse of the Grand Canyon brought tears to my eyes. That is one of the most awe-inspriring sights on God's green earth. I think every person should see the Grand Canyon at least once in their life. The colors, scale and distances are mind-boggling. Believe me, it'll awaken a rverence for nature's grand design in your breast. I know the abyss was created by the Colorado River over eons but it also inspired in me a strong belief in God's handiwork because only He could have made something so wonderful.

• Well,

I have to say that I enjoyed reading things about all of you. When filling out your profile you have an option of giving your personal information for the rest of us to read. When I signed up 13 months and a day ago, I didn't give any information myself. I didn't know what to expect from this board, and didn't want to make any obligations. As I became more comfortable, and started to know and establish a relationship with many of my friends on this board, I felt like I could update my profile with personal info.

That is what makes this message board a special place. We almost have 500 members signed up and about 50 members who post on a regular basis. I seem to know a lot of people here by their posts, and really enjoy their lives. We don't have to give out our personal information if we don't want too. I like that about this message board. We don't have to say anything if we don't want to. I have also learned a lot on the chat line from the conversations I've had with many members as well.

I know that we sometimes get those on board that have other things on their minds, but that's what moderators are there for, like myself. And that's why members like you on board help us by contacting the moderators (hopefully by e-mail or personal message {pm}) when things doesn't seem appropriate. We can't always escape that problem, which is a shame. It seems to dampen the many positives we have on board. But we do get through it. We've lost some valuable members here because of those issues, but we get new members here, and seem to revitalize this place.

If you look on the profile page, you'll know a little about me, and where I live. I have never been any where west of San Antonio, Texas or out of the country except to Canada outside of Detroit, Michigan. I've been to Miami, New York, Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Washington D.C., Pittsburgh and Atlanta. I haven't been to far west to see the beauty of the landscape, or where Duke shot many of his movies. However I've been to Fort Benning, Georgia where The Green Berets was filmed, and Brackettsville where The Alamo was filmed (yes I know that it's west of San Antonio).

I am currently limited to where I can go for now until I get my business going and free up some money to take some of those trips. My goal is to go to Ireland and see where The Quiet Man was filmed, first. But soon will go to the west and see Monument Valley where Duke made his first movie as a major star, Stagecoach.

I come from Alabama, Prattville (just outside of Montgomery). Born in Tennessee (Davy Crockett country), and lived a short while in Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas at the time of President Kennedy's assassination in 1963. I am a John Wayne fan as long as I remember, but it wasn't my father or mother who started me in Duke pictures though they went to some of his movies at the drive-in, I just became a fan on my own. I recall seeing him in McLintock!, The Sons of Katie Elder, The Green Berets, Rio Robo at the drive-in. I sat a the theater in True Grit, McQ, Big Jake and The Shootist. I am 42 years old. A male who's never been married, and no children (I might add that I am not gay, so enough of those rumours).

I am glad to be here, and I learn about things on this board. Not just John Wayne, but many things about world wide cultures, regions of the states, and people here.

If there are some here not wanting information out about themselves, that's alright with me. I enjoy reading the messages and that gives me some idea who you are.

Happy Reading,
    Cheers, Hondo Mike B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by William T Brooks@Feb 15 2004, 02:34 PM
    Stumpy; With Beautiful words like that we could make you the head of the "Verde Valley" and "Sedona" Chamber of Commerce"!! Chilibill :cowboy:

I doubt that I could afford it, Bill. I imagine real estate around Sedona cost a pretty penny and, as I said, I'm a military retiree (E8) on a fixed income.

One of the things that impressed me most in Sedona was the metal sculpture of that eagle in front of the Exposures Art Gallery. Man, that thing is magnificent. Wish I could find a picture on the 'net to post here. Shows a bald eagle just before alighting, with wings and talons outspread. Must have about an 8 or 10 foot wing span.

I was also very impressed with the drive up Oak Creek Canyon from Sedona to Flagstaff. Beautiful.

Since you live in the Verde River Valley, I presume you're pretty close to Montezuma's Castle.

• but hondo you are gay :D , you love life you have fun are happy and smile :P through your posts so in the true sense of the word you are gay ( not one of the limp wrist lot) ;)

happy from your gay friend ;) smoke

ps i'm not that way inclined either :D

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hello Stumpy (and everyone else)

Determined to ignore? No way. I just don't agree with your statement. John Wayne had a lot of qualities to look up to, but for me the image of a strong, principled, courageous and dignified man was pretty much non-existing before being made aware of it reading about him lately (a lot from this board).

Defining what makes a good actor isn't easy, so anybody is entitled to his or her opinion, but I guess one criterion could be to portrait a character and having the spectators feeling like they're getting in touch with character. I think maybe John Wayne brought more of his own persona into his characters than most actors would do but I see that as his biggest strength. He had the opportunity to do this because he had established a reputation so high that he was allowed to. He obviously had a moral standard and principles which he brought with him to the screen and from what I gather also got quite a beating from the critics from time to time because of it (I am referring to his more patriotic movies).

The fact that he had an enormous charisma was probably the reason he became such a star and also probably the same oddball reason he also was popular with many of the ladies. Some people you just like regardless of gender and I think we agree on him being that kind of person.

So if I'm basically agreeing with you on everything you say, why am I posting? Well I have seen about 15 John Wayne movies the last month and a lot of them from the B-movie era in the 30's. These movies had pretty poor plots, pretty childish and predictable, and definitely not his best period, but despite all this I enjoyed watching them. And I would like to add that I think John Wayne's efforts in these movies are good. He is less John Wayne in these movies than he is later in his career but he certainly doesn't embarrass himself in my eyes, although maybe the characters he portraits at times do their best to do so.

The fact that he had such a strong personality may be blinding to his acting ability. There are probably hundreds, maybe thousands of Hollywood actors that I would consider to be good actors so maybe I’m not setting the standards too high, but when I look at it this way I most certainly let the actors personality count as a part of this package. Anyone who plays a role without me reacting negatively is in my eyes doing a good job while there are only a handful of actors that have impressed me enough to start actively seeking for more of their work.

Going back to the original topic. I think Hondo Duke Lane telling about how he felt in the beginning pretty much represents my feelings. I don’t want to share too much about my person, but I can say as much as being 38 years old and from Norway. So Stumpy, I have no intentions of banning you to the far ends of the earth, but just say the word and you can come and visit me there.

• Hey Stumpy, you only saw part of our Arizona. You have a lot more to see. There is what is called the Outback of Arizona or the West Coast of Arizona. La Paz County. Some of the most beautiful desert area and Colorado River area you will ever see. Being that you are retired military we have Fort Huachuca Arizona about seventy miles South East of Tucson. I would imagine that you have full privileges and the Fort has a lot to offer. Land isn't really that expensive. That area is known for Cochise and the Buffalo Soldier. Its altitude is about 5000 feet so the weather is fairly mild.

If you want to punish yourself come over by me in Parker where it is not unusual that we hit 120 degrees during the summer. No exaggeration about the heat, it really does get that hot. Thats when we head towards Chilli Bill. We just go a little bit higher up like Flagstaff because it gets pretty darn warm in the Verde Valley.

The only time you bow down to someone is when you bend over to help them up!

• My personal opinion is that John Wayne outshines most actors.

It seems that most actors feel it is in vogue to be a doper, drinker who cannot handle it, wife beater, served time in prison and hates the United States of America.

He also did not turn his back on his country. I would put John Wayne up against any of those types that many seem to think are heroes and great actors.

He also was not a follower of Jane Fonda even though he had known her since she was born. But neither did he turn away from her, he felt she had a right to her own agenda.

John Waynes characters carried that old thing called truth, justice and the American Way.

Banish you no, disagree you bet.

:headbonk:

The only time you bow down to someone is when you bend over to help them up!

• Stumpy; You are right about trying to live in Sedona proper. When we came back to Arizona after 20 years in California I wanted a small ranch near Sedona. Boy was I shocked the land that you could buy in the late 1940s for $100.00 an acre if you had the $100.00 was now $1,000,000.00 per. acre. The big money peaple from California and New York had found it from the old movies. And also a lot of movie peaple from California. So we went about 5 miles south as the bird flys and could buy a small place for about $2000.00 per. acre .Yes I am about 15 min. from Montezuma's Castle. By the way what is a E-8 is that like a Master Sargent like we had in the Air Force in the old days? About 50 years ago I made what we called Buck Sargent "Three Stripes" before I went to 90 day Wonder Training school and then on to flight school. Chilibill :cowboy:

Originally posted by Stumpy@Feb 15 2004, 12:08 AM

You know, friends, it's time we all admitted something that apparently everybody on this board is determined to ignore. And that's the unpleasant truth that our hero really wasn't much of an actor. Oh, I know, that's heresy, particularly here, but true nonetheless. We didn't love the big galoot for his acting ability but for his screen (and personal) image of a
    strong, principled, courageous and dignified man.

I can't think of more than five or six of the Duke's pictures that I thought he did a respectable job of acting

Stumpy that little quote is both amusing, fictitious , idiotic and disappointing. It more or less claims that I and others on this board secretly think Duke is not a great actor or not even an actor at all.

Is not Ethan Edwards, Sean Thornton, J.B Books, J.M Stryker, Nathan Brittles, Tom Dunson, Wil Anderson, Rooster Cogburn and Olly Olsen to name but only a handful more than sufficient proof that Duke was not only convincing, powerful and dominant as an actor he was also of that superior league to which few reached. I am sick and tired of this myth that he couldn't act it just undermines a condescends five decades of hard work that produced both high talent and quality as both an actor and as a star.

Respectfully submitted with no ill feeling intended.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Well, Robbie, differences of opinion are what make the world go 'round. I have a book, "John Wayne and the Movies" by Allen Eyles (Grossett & Dunlap 1977), in which John Ford himself is quoted on page 12 as saying of Big John, 'That guy was one of the greatest stars I ever worked with; it's too bad he never could act.". IMHO, there's a helluva lot of difference between being a star and being an actor. Some of the biggest stars in Hollywood today can't act worth a damn.

It's like Popol Vuh said above - he had enormous charisma and we all know and will acknowledge that but some people, including me, just didn't think he was all that great an actor. Don't get me wrong - I revered that old man more than anyone else who ever worked in Hollywood but he couldn't hold a candle to actors like, say, Paul Newman or Lawrence Olivier.

Of all the many films John played in, there are several in which I thought he did a credible job of acting. "True Grit", of course, as well as "The Shootist", "The Cowboys", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "Rio Bravo", "The Searchers", "The Quiet Man", "Sands of Iwo Jima" "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon", "Three Godfathers", "Fort Apache", "They Were Expendable", "Red River", and "Stagecoach". Possibly 3 or 4 others. But he also made lots of others that were real stinkeroos.

I suppose you're gonna tell me he deserved Oscars for the magnificent performances he gave in "Reap the Wild Wind", "In Old California", "Flying Tigers", "A Lady Takes a Chance", "Tall in the Saddle", "In Old Oklahoma", "Flame of the Barbary Coast", "Dakota", "Tycoon", "Wake of the Red Witch", "The Fighting Kentuckian", "Big Jim McLain, "Trouble Along the Way", "The Sea Chase", "The Conqueror", "Jet Pilot", "Legend of the Lost", "Hatari", Donovan's Reef" and, well, you get the idea. Not to mention all those B-Westerns he made in the Thirties.

Nope, Robbie, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree about our hero's acting skills.

• Hey now you are walking on the fighting side putting down Hatari :angry: j/k!!!! He did a credible job in Hatari and it was a good entertaining film.
    I will agree, he has been in some stinkers but, so has most actors that have been around awhile.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hey you guys;;;;;....You are kinda getting off the track on this post but I forgive you. STUMPY... You have raised some feathers about JW's acting. My opinion of his acting after his B-Western days is that he was his self. I think that is the best form of acting,be yourself. As for Donavon's Reef being a stinkaroo....well pilgrim.... I think the Quiet Man was a Chick-Flick and a stinkaroo....just my opinion...SaddleTramp...