Why Not Give Us A Little Personal Info

There are 92 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 28,009 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by SaddleTramp@Feb 17 2004, 09:37 AM
    STUMPY... You have raised some feathers about JW's acting. My opinion of his acting after his B-Western days is that he was his self. I think that is the best form of acting,be yourself. As for Donavon's Reef being a stinkaroo....well pilgrim.... I think the Quiet Man was a Chick-Flick and a stinkaroo....just my opinion...SaddleTramp...

Taste is subjective, ST. I've made very plain that John Wayne was my favorite person in the entire history of the motion picture industry. And he made many movies I loved (includng "The Quiet Man"). I just didn't think his acting skills were outstanding. Adequate, yes, but not superior.

As far as pure acting ability goes, my personal favorite among male actors is Paul Newman. I think Newman should have won at least seven or eight Oscars but as we know, he only won for "The Color of Money", certainly not one of his better efforts, IMO. In fact, I don't even think it comes close to "The Hustler", its' prequel.

And those are just my opinions. :D

De gustibus non est disputandum

Originally posted by SaddleTramp@Feb 17 2004, 09:37 AM
    My opinion of his acting after his B-Western days is that he was his self. I think that is the best form of acting,be yourself.

Saddle Tramp,
    In reflecting on your quoted statement above, you're exactly right, you know. He was just being himself, and that's what we loved most about him. There was no artificiality in Big John. It's like the saying goes, "What you see is what you get".

But think about that, if you will. If John was just being himself, then he wasn't acting, was he? Because "acting", by its' very nature, means playing something other than what you really are.

And that comes back to my admiration for Paul Newman's acting. As is well known, he's a flaming political liberal in real life. And liberals are big on government authority. They think government authority is the best thing since sliced bread. But in nearly every one of Newman's performances, and especially his better roles, he plays a rebel against authority. In other words, he's acting. Ta da!!!!!

Originally posted by Stumpy@Feb 16 2004, 08:53 PM

I suppose you're gonna tell me he deserved Oscars for the magnificent performances he gave in "Reap the Wild Wind", "In Old California", "Flying Tigers", "A Lady Takes a Chance", "Tall in the Saddle", "In Old Oklahoma", "Flame of the Barbary Coast", "Dakota", "Tycoon", "Wake of the Red Witch", "The Fighting Kentuckian", "Big Jim McLain, "Trouble Along the Way", "The Sea Chase", "The Conqueror", "Jet Pilot", "Legend of the Lost", "Hatari", Donovan's Reef" and, well, you get the idea. Not to mention all those B-Westerns he made in the Thirties.

Stumpy

Some more glaring mistakes and inconsistencies you have made and I feel I should clear them up for you.

Reap the wild wind - John was becoming a star and his acting is very solid and above average in this movie.

Flying Tigers - there are two scenes in particular in which Dukes acting qualities shine and all other scenes he does more than compently as well.

I have not seen 'Wake of Red Witch' but many people claim it is one of Johns best performances and shows his ranges as an actor.

Legend of the lost - Crap movie but John performance is fine this goes for Donovans Reef as well.

Trouble Along the way - A brilliant acting performance showing his range again especially in the flashback scene to name one of many.

Fighting Kentuckian - Again a good performance especially the scene in which he is remembering a previous part of his life.

Yes the Conqueor is a bad acting job as for the rest of the movies I have not seen them.

I think ole Stumps you are getting confused between bad movies and bad acting there are about three or for movies John Wayne made in his life when he was unable to act the part of a particular character, one bad performance he also give was in the Alamo.

I want you to name me particular scenes that Duke was crap as an actor at. By the way the sources I have state that John Ford quoted about Duke 'hes the greatest actor is hollywood thats all'.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• All I can say is, Robbie, you better keep your day job because you'll never make it as a film critic.

• Howdy, all!

Well, if you've read most of my 800 plus posts, you've gleaned a fair amount of personal information about me. But that's a whale of a lot of reading, so I'll save you the trouble.

I do have some stuff listed in my profile, and if you've looked there, then you've even seen my ugly mug (but nice hat) :rolleyes: .

I'm a 56 year old male, married for over 25 years to the best little typist around :D (who happens to be a 47 year old female). We make quite a team here on the message board, and hanging around here is our idea of a fun evening. We live in central California, and have six children (all belong only to us together, a rarity these days). Two live out of the house now, so there are four still here (ages 15, 13, 7, and 5). We have 2 grandsons, ages 7 and 2, who spend many hours here as well. Most of our kids good-naturedly tolerate our "obsession", but our seven year old shares it, and is a huge Duke fan in his own right. As I've mentioned in some recent posts, I have a military background in the Navy (4 years active, 21 years reserves). I currently work in the construction trade as an electrician (which I've been doing for the past 33 years), and my wife has been a stay at home mom since the birth of our first child almost 24 years ago. She's been home teaching our kids since 1986.

We don't have cable television (by choice) so have ample opportunity to watch many movies, and especially enjoy the older ones, that seem to be generally far more family friendly. What we don't spend on cable, we put into our movie collection. Between watching, and the wonder of the Internet and such sites as this one and IMDb, we have gotten to "know" many more actors and actresses than we would ever have imagined possible, and a great bunch of friendly, interesting, knowledgeable folks around here.

We have really become big John Wayne fans just in the past five years, and even more so in the past year, when we came upon this message board. It's been great from the beginning. We've been moderator on the board since last June, I think. We are continually learning more about John Wayne (and many other actors) from the constant flow of information here.

Want to know more? You could ask . . . B) .

Chester :newyear: (and the Mrs. :angel1:)

P.S.As moderator, I'd like to encourage all of you to try to stay on topic, and more importantly, stay friendly . . . please take disagreements :angry: elsewhere, as it tends to spoil the atmosphere :unsure: for others . . . and NO flaming, please.

• hi to one and all,

i don't give too much information out about myself but for those who don't know i live in Queensland Australia, am a sole parent through the death of my husband have 1 child who i will protect with my life if i have to, i have a dog who is the best protection we can have she will bite first and ask questions later
    have been a fan of the dukes for as long as i can remember so has my dad and now my son

cheers smokey

ps if you want some of our humity you can have it, its standing at about 80% tonight and going to 38C tommorrow

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• chilibill

the best time is when its not wet. well it would really depend on what the climate is like where you live if you get high temps durning the day and can stand the humity then summer is a great time to visit if you don't want to go swimming you have to watch out for jellyfish in the tropics, you also have to be aware that in the tropics you are in croc country so don't go into the creeks unless they have a sign saying its ok to swim there. if you live where you have mild temps and no humity the my suggestion is our winter for qld(queensland) as we have a very short winter sometimes just 3 weeks long for the day but freezing at night so pack some winter woolies for then.
    if you want to see out west in the northern terr and such then winter is the go as they get 40C + every day and red dust. in summer it is possible to get flooded in for weeks because it is the wet season

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Hello all,

I haven't posted much but I wanted to introduce myself, I am 27 from Ft. Hood Texas, where my husband is an NCO with the First Cav. I was raised on John Wayne movies and OLD country music (Roy Acuff from my daddy's generation and Goerge Jones from my moms). I have two girls 5 and 7. John Wayne to me embodied everything that is and was great about America. He was not only an Actor to be held with high esteem but also a great patriot. Something sadly most actors of this generation is lacking.

• Hey! Somebody stirred up a lot of dust about JW's acting abilities. Now the dust settled, and I think the discussion is worth continuing. Yet I would like to look at it from a more, say, academic viewpoint. What IS good acting? When did we see JW perfom it? And, maybe, when did we not? This shouldn't be about JW, the legend and idol and symbol which he was without question. This should be about ACTING.
    Join me in a new less emotional yet maye more satisfying topic? :)

• Agreed! Itdo. Would you mind starting a new topic about that subject. We need to start staying on topic here and not get started on something else. So please stay on this topic.

Cheers, Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Well it is nice to know a few of you dedicated fans a bit better. Your views and opinions are as diverse as your locations. I hope more members become a bit more open. Living on the north side of the 49th paralell is still a challenge these days especially when you are in the agriculture business. I look forward to seeing the new posts and the discussions about the worlds biggest hero. It makes my day just a little brighter....SaddleTramp....

• I am a 42 year old male, I live in Kentucky also. John Wayne has been my HERO for as long as I can remember. I have intentions of obtaining all of his movies and getting some nice pictures and movie posters of him and decorating my TV room with his memorabilia, but I am off to a slow start as of yet.
    Reading some of these post's here has giving me some idea's and has educated me on these types of things.

When I was younger and in the Navy I was stationed in San Diego. Me and a shipmate both got transfered there for school so we drove across country to San Diego. I loved traveling thru the west ! Looking at the landscape and thinking about all the Cowboy movies I had seen. I didnt have time to stop and see any sites tho, someday I hope to return to the west with my 2 boys, age 6 right now.
    I would definitely check out monument valley and such sites where the movies were made that you guys talk about.

One thing I vividly remember was passing thru a place called Red Rock, I think in Arizona but not sure. Of coarse most of the rocks were indeed RED. It was springtime, the air was cool but the sun was shining strong. There were literally THOUSANDS of Tarantula's on the road. I suppose they were warming themselves on the blacktop. You couldnt drive without running over a few. We stopped and checked them out, they could jump about a foot or so, they FREAKED me out!
    Id as soon grab a rattler as to even look at a big hairy spider ! :D
    My buddy wanted to catch one and take it with us, lucky for me we were in my car, so I said sorry , but NO WAY !
    Has any one else ever seen spiders on the road like that out west ?

[SIZE=1]"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."[/SIZE]~John Wayne~from the movie "The Shootist"

• Hey Bandit, welcome to the message board!!

I too was in the Navy and was stationed in San Diego or Sand Dog as we used to call it!!! I was there from 1985-1989. I was a Gunners Mate Missile tech, worked on ASROC launcher. Also you say you have 2 boys age 6? I am assuming they are twins? I have twins as well, boy and girl age 3. There must be something in the water in San Diego!!!!

One last thing, if you are looking for some ideas on setting up a home theater I may be able to give you some pointers as I completed my setup last fall. I currently have 2 movie posters of the Duke, 1 for Rio Grande and another for The Sand of Iwo Jima. I also am setup with a big screen TV and a surround sound system. Makes watching movies allot more enjoyable.

Let me know if you need anything and again welcome to the board!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Feb 25 2004, 03:09 PM
    There must be something in the water in San Diego!!!!

Nah, it's not the water . . . I did basic in San Diego myself, and went to Second Class Dive School there, during my stint in the Navy.

My wife and I finally figured out what caused all those kids (we don't have twins, just six kids) . . . it was eating broccoli! :o Gave up broccoli, and stopped having kids ;) !

Chester :newyear:

Originally posted by chester7777@Feb 26 2004, 02:12 AM
    My wife and I finally figured out what caused all those kids (we don't have twins, just six kids) . . . it was eating broccoli! :o Gave up broccoli, and stopped having kids ;) !

Wow, if that was the secret Chester I would have stopped eating green stuff years ago!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Well, I like coming here as often as I can, but I don't always post. Have to admitt I feel a little out-gunned by some of y'all.

I just turned 38 a few days ago (I can't be that old, good grief I was just in college yesterday wasn't I?) and am a blond haired, green eyed aryan poster child. The twist is I have the blood of three tribes in me. People can never figure that one out when I tell 'em.

I've got the greatest wife, and two kids. My son is 12, and just spent the day teaching Hunter Ed with me, and my daughter is 4. I hope to get her out in the field one of these days too, but my wife just rolls her eyes when I talk about it.

I grew up in Illinois on a small farm breeding and training horses. When I turned 18, I left home (believe me, there was nothing in the way of jobs around here back then. Still sparse) and went out to Arizona to work the ranches for a couple years. Worked horse farms in Scottsdale and Tucson for a couple years, then came back to Illinois and worked a few back here. Ex wife talked me out of the horse industry and I went into teaching.

(Jumping spiders. You want to know how many times I chased them buggars out of the barn with a scoop shovel in the morning? Don't try to stomp a tarantula, it just makes them mad. Shovel, ball bat, shotgun. Take your pick. had one jump when I tried to stomp it, and it ended up jumping onto my leg! Yeesh!)

First year of teaching, my ex decided she liked one of my students in our bed better than she like me in it, divorced me, and cost me my job. I've been doing various things since then. Right now, working in a factory. hate the job, but it puts taters on the table.

Met my wonderful wife while working as a reporter. Dated about a year, decided we were to much in love to live apart, and got married. Love her more every day that I spend with her and thank God every day for filling my life.

Suppliment my income by free-lance writing. Sold one article late last year to Carousel News and Trader, and have sold two this year to Shoot! magazine. Hope this signals a new career taking off.

MY middle brother and his wife and daughter now live in Fountain Hills AZ, and my youngest brother just re-upped for the Seventh Cav and shipped for Iraq back in Jan. He's got a full year rotation to do. His wife and daughter live close by in Iowa, so I get to see them now and then.

As for being a Duke fan, lets see, I've been around 38 years, so I figure it's been about that long. See y'all around.

Red Coyote :cowboy:

• :lol: Hi all

When I read of the places you live and all the fabulous country scenary that we only ever see in the movies it makes me envious.

For me I was born bred and raised in Portsmouth Hampshire UK in 1943 and have recently retired after working forty five years as a rigger, the last eleven of them as a Master Rigger. (If your'e interested in old fighting ships take a look at HMS Victory Admiral Nelson's flag ship at the battle of Trafalger in 1805) It knocks the Constitution into a cocked hat). If you look at Gregory Peck's Horatio Hornblower RN you get a pretty good shot of the ship.

I have worked in Scotland and the West Country and visited Spain, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland (briefly).

as a kid I watched Distant Drums and other pictures about Florida seeing cottonmouths, swamps alligators and swore that if I ever got to the States the one place I wouldn't visit would be Florida.
    So far I've been there five times, and my daughter got married in Kissessamee. :D

I'm married with three kids and live in a terraced house in one of the most congested cities in the world and in a previous post I mentioned the various authors who also came from Portsmouth.

I began watching John Wayne pictures in the late 1940s and for that reason I like The Fighting Kentuckian and Wake of the Red Wich.

Best Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur,

It's very interesting that you worked on sailing vessels. I suspect you must have a pretty good collection of movies that involved sailing ships :D . I can understand how you might enjoy Wake of the Red Witch. Do you also enjoy Reap the Wild Wind? During my career in the Navy, I used a few marlinspikes and fids myself, but I'm definitely an apprentice when it comes to fancy work. My son, however, has taken an interest in knot-tying.

Chester :newyear: