Ridgway Old West Fest planned to celebrate 50th Anniversary of True Grit movie

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 9 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by stairstars.

• Ridgway Old West Fest planned to celebrate 50th Anniversary of True Grit movie

Kevin added a new article:

2019 marks the 50th anniversary of True Grit, the movie that earned John Wayne his only Academy Award. The famous director Henry Hathaway brought a cast and crew to Ridgway and Ouray County in the summer of 1968 to film much of the movie, which was released in 1969. The first annual Ridgway Old West Fest, organized by the Ridgway Western Heritage Society and scheduled for October 11-13, 2019, will celebrate Ridgway's brief transformation into Fort Smith, Arkansas, half a century ago.

Festivities will highlight Ridgway’s film, ranching and railroad heritage and celebrate Western arts and culture. “We are planning a variety of family friendly fun events,” said Eve Becker-Doyle, the Ridgway Western Heritage Society president. “Many events will be free and others will be well worth the price of admission. Activities will include a Western art show, kids’ horse and pony rides, showings of both movies, a youth horse parade, a natural horsemanship demo, train rides, a Western concert and more.”

The Ridgway Chamber of Commerce runs an 11:00 Friday morning walking tour about the filming from May to October. The tour will be offered as one of many festival activities on both Saturday and Sunday. In 2010 True Grit was remade in a second version starring Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Hailee Steinfeld, inspiring a new generation of fans and triggering interest in the original movie.

True Grit Days, held in 2007 in Ridgway, was the precursor of next year's festival. 5,000 people…
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      http://www.jwayne.com

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • I would like to make this one, wish it was more in the summer. Only 351 miles for me, shortest route. Maybe i will go up in September.
      If anyone gets any more on this. Please post it. Colkid
      Also, that is in one of the most beautiful places in the state of
      Colorado. Which has more beautiful places then you can imagine.
      October average high is 58 and the average low is 33, pretty good,
      It is at about 7000 feet.
      "A people that values their Privileges above it's Principles. Soon looses both." Dwight Eisenhower

The post was edited 1 time, last by colkid60 ().

• Your closer than me. Lol, this is a long ways from Atlanta. I would love to visit, October in Colorado will be beautiful.
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      http://www.jwayne.com