John Wayne/Gabby Hayes Joint Ventures

Your view is limited. Please register to the JWMB to access all features.

There are 6 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by Kevin.

• Gabby Hayes was in 15 Wayne movies.

They were;

1. Riders of Destiny
      2. The Lucky Texan
      3. West of the Divide
      4. Blue Steel
      5. The Man From Utah
      6. Randy Rides Alone
      7. The Star Packer
      8. The Lawless Frontier
      9. 'Neath Arizona Skies
      10. Texas Terror
      11. Rainbow Valley
      12. The Lawless Nineties
      13. The Dark Command
      14. In Old Oklahoma
      15. Tall In The Saddle

I have only seen the two together in the last three listed above, and they make a good pair. The movies were good. I haven't collected any of the "B" movies, and haven't watched any at this time. I am collecting at this time, his "A" movies before I go into his earliest ones, he made 152 moives. That's a lot to collect. I do have "The Dark Command," "In Old Oklahoma," & "Tall In The Saddle" on VHS. Anyway, there is your answer.

Hondo :D

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • Thank you Hondo,

I was comparing your list with the John Wayne Movies listed at "Movies Unlimited" and noticed most there. Many were the colorized versions which I enjoy , though they were a little pricey. Does anyone out there have experience buying from them ?............Chester

P.S. they do have many of the harder to get movies, some fairly reasonable. :rolleyes:

P.P.S. I also compared your list to IMdB (Internet Movie Data Base), and they show one more, "The Spoilers" from 1942. I have never heard of it or seen it, but own and have seen 12 from the list.
    • Hey there Chester!

After checking the movie, "The Spoilers" in the credits, and checking my other sources, I must conclude that Gabby Hayes is not in that movie. IMdB is incorrect. The movie is great. This movie has been listed as the best fight scene in a western saloon in movie history. It is in B&W.

It's possible that movie is listed under the Marlene Dietrich Collection.

With Duke as the good guy and Randolph Scott as the bad guy, this has to be a great combination as rivals to Dietrich. This has been a great team of a trio in the 1940's. If you ever get a chance to get this, don't pass it up.

It is not on DVD yet, but maybe soon. Gabby Hayes is not in that movie, and I didn't remember seeing him in it. It is possible that he made a small cameo apperiance, but I don't think so.

Again, I don't own or have seen the first 12 on the list in my initial message, but, Dark Command, In Old Oklahoma, & Tall In The Saddle, I have seen, and they are pretty good.

Get "The Spoilers." You won't regret it.

:P Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"
      - John Wayne quote
    • Hondo,

We're looking forward to getting "The Spoilers" after your rave review.

I went back to IMdB, and in checking out the filmography for George "Gabby" Hayes, he is in that movie, but has an uncredited part of an unarmed miner. I realize it's a small detail, but . . . we must give credit where credit is due, even if the part is uncredited . . . :P

I still think you are a fountain of knowledge as far as this stuff is concerned!

I'm happy today because I got my Red River D belt buckle in the mail . . . :D

Cheers,

Chester
    • Texas Terror
      Rainbow Valley
      The Lawless Nineties
      The Dark Command
      In Old Oklahoma
      Tall In The Saddle

I have only seen the two together in the last three listed above, and they make a good pair. The movies were good. I haven't collected any of the "B" movies, and haven't watched any at this time. I am collecting at this time, his "A" movies before I go into his earliest ones, he made 152 moives. That's a lot to collect. I do have "The Dark Command," "In Old Oklahoma," & "Tall In The Saddle"on VHS. Anyway, there is your answer.
      i suggest you a site named as the drama cool for further info you can visited here.
    • Hi @hakiran Let me welcome you to the JWMB!

Be sure to check out JOHN WAYNE: Comprehensive Body Of Work in our
      Duke Movie Discussions forum for tons of info on Duke movies and find info on John Wayne's costars.

Cheers!
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      jwayne.com