Richard Todd

There is 1 reply in this Thread which has previously been viewed 12,082 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Richard Todd was one of the Duke’s co-stars in ‘The Longest Day’: he played Major John Howard of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. And on 6th June 1944 Richard Todd was a Captain in the Parachute Regiment, and took part in the Normandy landings: he landed by parachute to help secure Pegasus Bridge, over the Caen Canal. I think he’s the only man to take part in both Operation Overlord, and in the 1962 film.

In memory of all those who lost their lives on D-Day, 76 years ago today. We shall remember them.

• That's a dandy little tidbit, Nathan. Thanks for sharing that with us. I can't even fathom the courage it took to parachute into occupied territory surrounded by nothing but enemies Or to charge up a beach, in a hail of bullets, as your fellow soldiers fall all around you. May what happened on June 6th, 1944, never be forgotten. God bless the greatest generation!

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "