John Wayne Was Here: The Film Locations and Favorite Places of an American Icon

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 8 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by keveinmecal.

• John Wayne Was Here: The Film Locations and Favorite Places of an American Icon

Kevin added a new article:

One of our long time members @itdo has published a book titled: John Wayne Was Here: The Film Locations and Favorite Places of an American Icon which is available online at Amazon.com. I would encourage anyone interested in John Wayne to check out this book. It's certain to be a fascinating read.

Roland Schaefli (itdo) wrote:

It's been right here, on Dukewayne.com, that I got the inspiration to put this book together. I found that a number of people share my love of actually scouting the original filming sites and traveling to movie locations. Over the years, I found quite a bit, including remote spots in Africa, even locating some that were not generally known yet (so far I left out Libya, however, I have a nice contact going there with the tourism department, so you never know). This website leads you on the Trail to the John Wayne Locations: The Trail to the John Wayne Locations
      I hope this inspires the members of this board to travel - again!

John Wayne Was Here: The Film Locations and Favorite Places of an American Icon

John Wayne worked on film sets around the globe. This book follows his big trail, from his humble beginnings on the Fox backlot in Hollywood to his final filming site in Lone Pine, California. Locations in…
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      http://www.jwayne.com

Mark
      "I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "
    • Thanks, Mark! It was years in the making --- and then delayed by Corona. It took so long I had to rewrite some of it, as when the Parmamount Ranch burned to the ground and the Nor'wester just sunk only weeks ago, I was able to get that in at the last minute. Shows that locations aren't around forever and one needs to see them as long as they're still to be enjoyed.

I got the assistance of a number of great guys, at the Birthplace, the Lone Pine Museum, Gouldings, to name a few. Any questions, I'll gladly join the conversation! :)
    • I love reading little tidbits about his films, and can't wait to get the book. On your site, I saw that the Mill from The Shepherd of the Hills can be seen in the background of the picnic scene from North to Alaska. Also that the scene from True Grit, where they made camp and La Beouf shoots the Turkey was actually right next to the field where the final shootout was filmed. Tidbits like this interest me. I can't imagine the hard work and time you had put into this and I can't wait to read it!

And I was actually sad to hear that The Nor'wester sank. Just looking at the pictures of her with just the bow above water....it was hard to see. You hate to see anything that was tied to John Wayne disappear.

Mark
    • That's right, Mark. And I hate to hit you with it: Old Tucson closed. Did you know? The guy in charge of press relations who helped me with that part of the book let me know - I didn't even realize it during Corona. Have been there 3 times. Luckily, two times before the fire. The 3rd time, in 2004, was rather sad, having to see the replacements. Then again, I'm glad I still got to see it once more if it might be gone now permanently.
    • New

No, I didn't know about Old Tucson. Sad to hear that, as well. Probably with the new generation, interest dwindled quite a bit. I was planning to finally make the trip to Monument Valley at the end of last year, but because of Corona (I caught it), the idea was put away again. Hopefully I can get that dream realized one day soon.

The closest I ever came to anything from a Duke film was when I saw the War Wagon sitting on a spot in Universal Studios, Florida. It was missing the turret but was still cool to see. I had my picture taken next to it, but when we developed the roll, that shot was too dark to see much detail. So, when I get your book in the mail, I'll travel to these various sites through your pages.

Mark

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">