42 years ago today, Duke passed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

• 42 years ago today, Duke passed

I'm reposting this from the Maureen O'Hara magazine Facebook page. I thinks it's fitting to read Maureen's reaction to Duke's passing.

On June 11th, 1979 John Wayne (aka "Duke") passed away after a long battle with cancer. Maureen was back in St. Croix when Duke passed. An excerpt from her book "Tis Herself."...... "I couldn't sleep, and stood at the window for hours, looking out through the fog at the lights of Christiansted. Then a moment came when I knew in my heart that Duke had died. I crawled back into bed and closed my eyes, waiting for the telephone call. Within the hour the phone rang out. I answered it and an unfamiliar voice said softly, 'Duke just died." I know" - I said. I got out of bed and moved back to the window. The fog was lifting, up toward the heavens, and taking my dear friend John Wayne with it. What a hell of a game of chess must have been played by Charlie and Duke in heaven that night. And then I said, 'Goodbye, you two *******...please miss me."

If you don't follow Maureen O'Hara magazine Facebook page then you should!
      Kevin - Moderator/Administrator
      http://www.jwayne.com

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">