Maureen O'Hara Book- 'Tis Herself'

There are 65 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 36,049 times. The latest Post () was by Romy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Maureen O'Hara Pens New Autobiography

LOS ANGELES - In 1939, an Irish miss of 18 landed in Hollywood not knowing what to expect. Her education came swiftly as she was thrust into stardom with her first movie and became a pawn in the big-studio system.

With customary frankness, Maureen O'Hara recounts her life story in "'Tis Herself," written with John Nicoletti. She tells it all: her love-hate relationship with mentor John Ford ; her devotion — strictly platonic — to co-star John Wayne; the misbehavior of Errol Flynn; the rudeness of Rex Harrison; two failed marriages and a happy marriage that ended in tragedy; a phony scandal that helped put Confidential magazine out of business.

Read more at JWayne.com >>

• I was disappointed in Herself's book. For a lady who projects such a strong screen image, she sure had a helluva time telling certain male rats who turned up in her life "No".

I was also rather put off by some of the x-rated language she used. Though a military retiree and therefore no stranger to dirty language, I sure hate to hear such words out of the mouths of women, even in today's world of radical feminism.

Unfortunately, I've always had a tendency to put females on a pedestal (my grandpa's chivalrous influence) and when said females cuss like sailors, I'm always greatly shocked and disillusioned.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I was disappointed in Herself's book. For a lady who projects such a strong screen image, she sure had a helluva time telling certain male rats who turned up in her life "No".

I was also rather put off by some of the x-rated language she used. Though a military retiree and therefore no stranger to dirty language, I sure hate to hear such words out of the mouths of women, even in today's world of radical feminism.

Unfortunately, I've always had a tendency to put females on a pedestal (my grandpa's chivalrous influence) and when said females cuss like sailors, I'm always greatly shocked and disillusioned.

• Hi.

I also read the book recently and thought it was a missed opportunity. I think that I agree with stumpy that it could have been longer and better, but gradually in various books the true character of John Ford is emerging.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi.

I also read the book recently and thought it was a missed opportunity. I think that I agree with stumpy that it could have been longer and better, but gradually in various books the true character of John Ford is emerging.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Apr 24 2004, 09:29 AM
    in various book the true character of John Ford is emerging.

Not a very flattering picture, is it? He was a helluva film director but his personality stunk.

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Apr 24 2004, 09:29 AM
    in various book the true character of John Ford is emerging.

Not a very flattering picture, is it? He was a helluva film director but his personality stunk.

• You pick up the same sense about John Ford when you read John Wayne: American. It seems like he could really be a jerk. When Wayne was directing his The Alamo, Ford kept showing up on the set and being a real idiot, making it hard for Wayne to be polite to his mentor without telling him to get lost.

GSP

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• You pick up the same sense about John Ford when you read John Wayne: American. It seems like he could really be a jerk. When Wayne was directing his The Alamo, Ford kept showing up on the set and being a real idiot, making it hard for Wayne to be polite to his mentor without telling him to get lost.

GSP

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• After reading the whole article about Maureen O'Hara on jwayne.com, by Bob Thomas of the Associated Press, there were a few things I found interesting -

:) Her third husband was an avid flyer and had his own small airline business in the Caribbean

:) She is now retired in Scottsdale, Arizona (but spends summers in Ireland)

:) She has fond memories and warm feelings for the Duke

:) She might be quite an asset in trying to build up a John Wayne museum

Hint, hint, hint . . . :rolleyes:

For those who may have missed it in previous posts on this board, here's a link to a fascinating web site about Maureen O'Hara (it's done by a member of our board, although she did the site long before she came here to join us - June Parker Beck, aka Juneface) - Maureen O'Hara Features Page.

Chester :newyear:

• After reading the whole article about Maureen O'Hara on jwayne.com, by Bob Thomas of the Associated Press, there were a few things I found interesting -

:) Her third husband was an avid flyer and had his own small airline business in the Caribbean

:) She is now retired in Scottsdale, Arizona (but spends summers in Ireland)

:) She has fond memories and warm feelings for the Duke

:) She might be quite an asset in trying to build up a John Wayne museum

Hint, hint, hint . . . :rolleyes:

For those who may have missed it in previous posts on this board, here's a link to a fascinating web site about Maureen O'Hara (it's done by a member of our board, although she did the site long before she came here to join us - June Parker Beck, aka Juneface) - Maureen O'Hara Features Page.

Chester :newyear:

• Chester ; I think I get the Hint, hint, hint! I just got back from Scottsdale over the Weekend for my 55 year, High School reunion at the old "Western Movie Town Rawhide" that was used in many Westerns for the town scenes and is just a few miles north of Scottsdale and is now open to the public. Chester If some of you people know how to get in touch with her let me know and I will fly down and talk to her about the "Duke Museum". She would be the one to talk to. If none of you know how to get ahold of her, I know some old time movie people that live down in Scottsdale and I will ask around. Chilibill :cowboy:

• Chester ; I think I get the Hint, hint, hint! I just got back from Scottsdale over the Weekend for my 55 year, High School reunion at the old "Western Movie Town Rawhide" that was used in many Westerns for the town scenes and is just a few miles north of Scottsdale and is now open to the public. Chester If some of you people know how to get in touch with her let me know and I will fly down and talk to her about the "Duke Museum". She would be the one to talk to. If none of you know how to get ahold of her, I know some old time movie people that live down in Scottsdale and I will ask around. Chilibill :cowboy:

• Back to the book, I am almost half way thru it and I will tell you this, it is a very good read. I have no problem with the language used like Stumpy had. Too me, the language is describing the times and if that is what was said I would rather have it straight then to sugar coat it at times.

And another note about the book, that 2nd husband of hers, Will Price, was quite the "jerk"(I did sugar coat that statement).

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Back to the book, I am almost half way thru it and I will tell you this, it is a very good read. I have no problem with the language used like Stumpy had. Too me, the language is describing the times and if that is what was said I would rather have it straight then to sugar coat it at times.

And another note about the book, that 2nd husband of hers, Will Price, was quite the "jerk"(I did sugar coat that statement).

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Apr 26 2004, 10:46 AM
    that 2nd husband of hers, Will Price, was quite the "jerk"(I did sugar coat that statement).

I wholeheartedly agree that Price was a sorry SOB. :lol: But why did she let him do her the way he did for ten long years. Since she was the one making the household a living, she should have booted his butt out the door ASAP.

The first one wasn't much better, IMO.

Originally posted by SXViper@Apr 26 2004, 10:46 AM
    that 2nd husband of hers, Will Price, was quite the "jerk"(I did sugar coat that statement).

I wholeheartedly agree that Price was a sorry SOB. :lol: But why did she let him do her the way he did for ten long years. Since she was the one making the household a living, she should have booted his butt out the door ASAP.

The first one wasn't much better, IMO.

• Hi Janette

I'd also like to welcome you to this site and hope you will stay for a long time.

The book Tis Herself was quite readable but I believe that more was left out than was put in. I got the feeling that it was quite a lightweight book considering what it could have said, perhaps that the reason.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low