Welcome, New Members!

There are 1,696 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 617,955 times. The latest Post () was by FanoftheDuke67.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Welcome Jay. We look forward to talking to you. We have a great bunch of people with many diverse backgrounds so I am sure you will find the conversations engaging as well as informative. Hope to see you soon.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• :cowboy: Hi Jay, welcome to this great site. Also, I live about 100 or so miles away from you going towards The Gulf of Mexico in the Sparkling City By The Sea. Best regards--TRK.

PS: Go to the Antiques Mall in San Antonio and you will find a few who sell things to do with The Duke, and for fair prices. I picked up a soda can there about 2 yrs ago, that has images of The Duke on it from the movie: "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" and I paid only $5.00 for it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi SXViper, chester7777 and Ringo Kid. Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm a FNG (fairly new guy) to this internet business, so I'm kinda feeling my way along as I go.
    Chester - I didn't find this site until after the rodeo happened, though I read about it a lot on this site. I've spotted Dean Smith in several of the Duke's movies, especially El Dorado where he is done in by James Caan in the cantina.
    Ringo - Yes, I'm familiar with the Antiques Mall - my wife was an avid antiquer until she became bedridden a few years ago, so I visited a lot in the '90s.
    I'm looking forward to interrelating with you folks and all the rest. Have a great day.

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hello everybody,
    What an incredible site. I am such a big John Wayne fan I had to join. I have been a fan and a little bit of a collector for several years now, so finding this site was like finding a gold mine to me. Hope to post often and am looking forward to chatting with everyone.

Baby Sister

By the way.....where do you all get the JW avatars? I have to have one!

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

• Welcome Baby Sister,

Glad you found us and decided to stop by. We seem to be picking up the pace with new members. Nice to see us growing so much. I look forward to sharing things with you.
    As for the avatars there was a member who had a site for them and he let us use them for free, but I don't have the url. And we had a board "crash" so I am unable to search for that info. I am sure 1 of the moderators have it.

Again, Welcome and see you soon :jump::cowboy:

-John Wayne

Originally posted by Baby Sister@Nov 22 2004, 02:05 PM
    By the way.....where do you all get the JW avatars? I have to have one!

[snapback]12678[/snapback]

Baby Sister,

First of all, we would like to welcome you to the John Wayne Message Board, undoubtedly the best of its kind around! Friendly, knowledgeable folks in generally a friendly atmosphere. We hope you'll stick around!

As to your question about the avatars, go to Off Topic Discussions - Avatars, and you should be up and running with an avatar of your own in no time.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Chester7777 & SXViper

...thanks for the avatar info... had a little trouble with the barons site but I figured it and did one of my own, anyway am up and running.

Thanks guys

Later
    Baby Sister

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

• Well, hello... thanks for the kind welcome. I'm proud to be among folks that have the good sense to recognize quality when they see /or hear it. I, like millions of others across the globe, still miss Big John. It shouldn't be forgotten that many thanks also go out to the ones who inspired and befriended a boy named Marion such as John Ford, Harry Carrie Sr., the writer's for all of his successful films, sound, lighting and set crews. The members of the so called John Ford Stock Co. The world hasn't seen a successful collaboration of talent like that before or since.

Big John, for all the characters he portrayed, was always true to his principles and to his adoring fans. Yes, a principled person whom "says what he means and means what he says". No regrets... or at least none to speak of. He was himself, un-apologetically. The way that most of his fans are, Id expect. (I know I am.) :)

If there ever really was a Mr. America it was John Wayne. His popularity transcends the generations he originally entertained. (Yes, our children are even showing signs of good sense too. ha,ha.)

Please God, continue to bless America.

Nuff-said for now. Your comments are welcomed. - Ben

• Welcome BenFerko to the John Wayne Message Board. Looks like I'm the first to directly congratulate you on becoming a member. I've been a member only since mid-November, but have already had a very enjoyable time here. I'm sure you will also find lots to enlighten you about the Duke and much more besides.

Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Welcome Benferko, your post could not have been a better introduction. You summed up most if not all the people here on how they feel about Duke and America. Come on back and join in on the fun conversations. Look forward to hearing from you.

-John Wayne

• Thanks Jay and SXViper for noticing my post. I had gone to the chat room after posting that day and received no response. I was beginning to wonder when was a good time of day to actually speak to someone on that venue or this one for that matter. (I don't use web postings usually, nor am I a user of chat rooms. Therefor I'm not in tune with it's normal operations.) To be frank, I spent a quite while just trying to find my original post and was tickled to see that someone not only had seen it but took the time to actually respond. Thank you for your kind words.

How long have you been members here and what age group am I addressing. As for me, I'm just approaching the big 40 later this year. I've been a fan of the Duke since I was a "Yonker", (as one of John's Characters would put it.) I have three children whom have all been exposed to his performances and they are all fascinated with him. This of course pleases me that they would recognize the quality of a person that he would portray. They have also come to realise that he was a lot like that in person as well. Truly fortunate am I to have them. :) My wife likes him too but doesn't like to watch all the violence of course.

Tell me what I can expect to see here. (I will also continue to brows the posts to see for myself of course.) Please note that I am a Professional Motor Carrier and am on the road for week at a time so if it takes a while to get a response from me, don't give up. I'll check back when I'm home and get back with you A.S.A. P.

Thanks - Ben

Originally posted by BenFerko@Feb 2 2005, 11:40 AM

How long have you been members here and what age group am I addressing. Thanks - Ben

[snapback]14230[/snapback]

Hi Ben -

You'll find all age groups, guys & gals, from all over the world on this message board, especially from England and Australia, as well as other countries, besides the good ol' U.S. of A.
    I am 62 myself, from San Antonio, TX ("Remember the Alamo"). I browsed this message board for about 4 weeks before becoming a member and was really facinated with all the information found here from fans of the Duke. Keep browsing yourself - this board is very enlightening!

Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Well... looks like I found a pretty lively site to converse with on occasion. Like most folks, I don't constantly dwell on J.W. but every once in a while... we all get in this mood of longing for simpler times and a world where things are more black and white. The main stream media and Bostonian types would like us all to believe that everything is actually grey and that there really is no right and wrong just choices. Right! I don't buy that, not for a moment. I do think that in some instances there may be a grey area but usually when the lights of knowledge are turned on the answers are pretty clear. Even though they don't want to hear them.

Jay, you sound like someone who has not just fell off the turnip cart. Probably seen a lot in your days. How are things in Texas? (Yes, I do remember the Alamo. Ha,ha.) Perhaps "InHarmsWay" could enlighten us on wether they were still teaching it when he/or she graduated a couple of years ago I'd imagine. I only ask this because of some schools today choosing not to teach the US Constitution in public schools due to the reference to our Creator. (Separation of Church and State hogwash!) It's getting pretty strange out there these days. Who knows what they're teaching about the Alamo these days. (Re-writing history, and making it theirstory. Ha,ha)

Nice to have you around "InHarmsWay". Young people today are inspiring me that they are becoming aware of their world and rejecting the established mainstream views for the truth, or something closer to it. They helped in the twin tower attack clean-up and rescue. They also are helping rid the world of Terrorist groups in real harms way. Lining up to join the service with a clear sense of honor and duty. God bless all you youngsters.

Well, I have to go now and help my 11 yr old with his paper route. I'll check back soon. - Ben

• Well Ben, i am about a year younger then you, I will be turning 39 in July. I have been a fan of J.W. since I can remember. My dad is responsible for that :)

If you look at our profiles it will tell you how long each person has been a member. I joined the board in July of 03.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@Feb 2 2005, 07:51 PM
    Well Ben, i am about a year younger then you, I will be turning 39 in July. I have been a fan of J.W. since I can remember. My dad is responsible for that :)

If you look at our profiles it will tell you how long each person has been a member. I joined the board in July of 03.

[snapback]14252[/snapback]

Thanks for the tip SXViper. As I said, I'm not really familier with this medium yet. When I wrote my first response I was not really fully awake. I've had trouble with my eyes for the past couple of days too. (Must be allergies.) We have a cat living with us and although I like cats, I may be allergic to them. Anyway, you were right of course and I think that was pretty clever of the person running this site to put that there. I've tried to use large letters in my posts to make it easier for some people to read. I'm not sure if I'm setting this thing right for that but I'll figure it out.

Speaking of being close in age, I know that we've seen a lot of change in our lifetime. It seems like nothing has stopped changing in our time. As a matter of fact, it seems to be speeding up. (Ha,ha) Pleasure to hear from you and if you have any more tips I'd be greatful to have them. - Ben

Originally posted by BenFerko@Feb 2 2005, 05:39 PM
    It's getting pretty strange out there these days. Who knows what they're teaching about the Alamo these days. (Re-writing history, and making it theirstory. Ha,ha)

[snapback]14250[/snapback]

Hi Ben -

You're right! With all the historical rewrites, who knows what will be the final accepted "truth." The history of the battle of the Alamo has undergone a number of changes over the years, including nods toward "political correctness."
    There was a complaint in the papers a few weeks ago (letters to the editor) from someone, not a native Texan, about having to do a "Pledge of Allegiance to Texas" in schools and wondered why a state should have such a thing. Apparently, the writer didn't realize that Texas was a Republic, an independent country unto itself for a few years before it became a state and this pledge is a result of that time.

Cheers - Jay ^^

"Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Feb 3 2005, 10:00 AM
    Apparently, the writer didn't realize that Texas was a Republic, an independent country unto itself for a few years before it became a state

And I think we should secede and become an independent country again. It frosts me being in a union with the likes of Massachusetts, New York, California, etc.

De gustibus non est disputandum