More Help With A Quote...

There are 2 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,167 times. The latest Post () was by Cole Thornton.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• In a 1971 interview, John Wayne called this movie "distasteful. It would have been better without all the gore."

Does anyone know what movie The Duke was talking about?

Thanks.

• Hi bal62, welcome to the forum.

At this time I cannot recall what movie Duke is refering too, but, I am sure one of our walking/talking Duke encyclopedia's, no pun intended, will be able to get a answer for you.

See you around.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• The answer is The Wild Bunch From the infamous 1971 PLAYBOY interview:

"Certainly. To me, The Wild Bunch was distasteful. It would have been good picture without the gore. Pictures go too far when they use that kind of realism, when they have shots of blood spurting out and teeth flying, and when they throw liver out to make it look like people's insides. The Wild Bunch was one of the first to go that far in realism, and the curious went to see it. That may make the bankers and stock promoters think that it is a necessary ingredient for successful motion pictures. They seem to forget the one basic principle of our business - illusion. We're in the business of magic. I don't think it hurts a child to see anything that has the illusion of violence in it. All our fairy tales have some kind of violence - the good knight riding to kill the dragon, etc. Why do we have to show the knight spreading the serpent's guts all over the candy mountain?"

"Day off?"
    "Off day."