The Undefeated (1969)

There are 158 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 155,207 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I have enjoyed looking at those movie stills, especially as The Undefeated is my favourite JW movie !

Pity Duke & Rock could have not worked more together, good on-screen partnership in my humble opinion

Windage & Elevation !

• Du Taylor! ( mr. Macartney) the guy who played the cook! I always liked him in westerns! Pity he didn't make more with the Duke! Think its the only one!

• I actually quite liked this movie, seems I enjoy some of the Duke films that are disliked by others on here although I do agree on Hellfighters being a bit rubbish. There is definately a lull in the middle and it takes awhile to get going as the stories take a while to inter-connect but I thought it was enjoyable seeing Hudson and Duke together as well as all of his Duke's old friends acting alongside him. Not amazing by any stretch and the ending was rather weak but I enjoyed it all the same and will definitely watch it again. Something iv'e noticed about McLaglen's movies is that he generally has a great soundtrack and some fantastic wide open shots of the plains.

• This may have already been answered in this thread, but if so please forgive me for asking again...

The Undefeated was based on a novel by Lewis B. Patten. However, I cannot find a Patten novel with that title, so which novel was it that was the source for this film? I bet there's a JW expert out there who knows the answer!

• This may have already been answered in this thread, but if so please forgive me for asking again...

The Undefeated was based on a novel by Lewis B. Patten. However, I cannot find a Patten novel with that title, so which novel was it that was the source for this film? I bet there's a JW expert out there who knows the answer!

Paula,
    it looks as if he wrote the novel for and as the film!!
    In fact three movies

The Undefeated (1969) (novel) (uncredited)
    Death of a Gunfighter (1969) (novel)
    Red Sundown (1956) (novel Back Trail)

Lewis Byford Patten (1915 – May 22, 1981) was a prolific author of American Western novels, born in Denver, Colorado.
    He often published under the names Lewis Ford, Len Leighton and Joseph Wayne.
    He used the last two names when writing in collaboration with Wayne D. Overholser.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Keith, actually -- I'm beginning to think the IMDB is wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

As far as I can tell, via searches at Amazon and bookfinder.com, there is no book by Lewis B. Patten called The Undefeated. If there were, I am confident that second hand copies would have shown up at both sites.

Furthermore, I just popped the movie into the player and it has the following credit:

Screenplay by James Lee Barrett
    Based on a story by Stanley L. Hough.

(Hough was a movie executive and producer who also did the story for Bandolero.)

There is no mention of Patten in the movie's credits. The IMDB says "uncredited" but surely if there was a novel as the original source, it would have been credited. Perhaps Patten wrote a novelization but again, that doesn't show up at Amazon or Bookfinder.

Curiouser and curiouser!