Tall In The Saddle (1944)

There are 137 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 134,535 times. The latest Post () was by lasbugas.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• OK, only one day left to comment. I remember a whole lot of Duke's romantic scenes where he grabs the woman rather roughly and turns his face and upper body and kisses her away from the camera. Well, he must have really like this one. Maybe because she was a TOMBOY.....boy, I should have been born a lot earlier....could've really beat her as a tomboy and I didn't use to be bad looking until I got old, LOL. Or, Maybe he was in between wives at the time of the filming of this movie........Anyone know....I have looked up so much lately......well, have a go at it, if you know! LOL. Will post new selection tomorrow. Thought I HAD it, but suddenly realized it was a Western, DARN. OK, be ready tomorrow. And thanks for the new people who have commented. Sure hope you keep it up, and get your friends to join also. Plan to make this month's one really fun! But, you need to start commenting early....maybe just a thing or two and keep on as you see new things.........don't have to tell the story.....just comment on things you noticed or especially liked, etc. Would LOVE to get some discussion going on. Heh, Ethan (Keith) commented a tad this time. I know he has written everything out already, but the whole thing here is to find out stuff on your OWN by watching the movie a few times. Don't read the reviews as they may bias you....just give your OWN thoughts. OK guys and gals, here are the love shots, LOL! All in full view of the camera! Thanks again, Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• Well, last post of mine for Tall in the Saddle. It was a great choice Peter, and many people found they really enjoyed watching it again or for the first time. Should have known I would put up for Ward, LOL! He was a bad guy, but mainly because of his greed for card playing. He would never have gotten involved if it hadn't have been for Rocklin's uncle catching him with a marked deck. He was a gentleman and acted so throughout most of the movie.....the man could just play ANYTHING, LOL.....Pappy would say he could play a horse's....well "dexterior". So, here are two pics of him worried about the ladies when there was probably to be a gunfight on the street. He ushers them off the street to safety:

• Merci, Larry. En français c'est plus pratique !

PS. Excusez-moi, je crois que je me suis trompé de fil !....

Unconditional's Maureen O'Hara !
    French-English translation: poor !!!
    :blush:

Edited once, last by Romy ().

• Oh Larry, I LOVE that one of Duke and the horse. Believe I will sketch it for a special prize. Will be fun doing the gear on the horse, etal. HAGO, KEITH

• Oh my, the passion, just hope that gun doesn't go off and spoil the moment!!

That made me roar!

The studio based images always make me smile.

The best one has to be Wayne at the wheel of the imaginary ship on Lasbugas' sea chase still!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Hello, I am a researcher of Hollywood costumes which are currently residing in a private collection, including a few associated with John Wayne. I would very much appreciate the help and expertise of the members of this forum.

I am especially interested in the checkered coat being worn by Ward Bond in the above photo. Can anyone tell me whether the same coat is worn by Wayne at any point in the film?

Thank you in advance.

• Keith - lucky Sue.

Sorry that I can't help you Earl, but our member Hawkswill is the world's foremost Ward Bond fan. I expect that you'll be hearing from her.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Ha ha Bill, well spotted.
    Actually we do have at least one Sue as a member!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Perhaps a "Novelty type Chastity Belt"? LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist......does look a bit absurd. Our female chaps don't seem to greatly emphasize that certain spot, HAH.......that is really funny.....not MY comment, but the whole thing! What a thing to talk about...true though. Those were chaps sewn with one thing I mind, me thinks! KEITH

You know, chaps on a woman remind me of....oh nevermind. :^)

• Sorry for the delay in trying to answer this for you. I have misplaced my EHD and do not have a version of Tall in the Saddle here. However, I remember seeing some studio portraits of Duke in a coat looking similar to Ward's Tall in the Saddle one, but it was a regular sport jacket type and did not have the western cut cuffs, etc. Also, at that time, Ward's upper body was a good bit broader than Duke's......the coat would have hung on Duke without extensive adjustments. Can't imagine them switching off anyway. Just wondering, why did you want to know? Do you HAVE the coat? KEITH

Hello, I am a researcher of Hollywood costumes which are currently residing in a private collection, including a few associated with John Wayne. I would very much appreciate the help and expertise of the members of this forum.

I am especially interested in the checkered coat being worn by Ward Bond in the above photo. Can anyone tell me whether the same coat is worn by Wayne at any point in the film?

Thank you in advance.

• Sorry for the delay in trying to answer this for you. I have misplaced my EHD and do not have a version of Tall in the Saddle here. However, I remember seeing some studio portraits of Duke in a coat looking similar to Ward's Tall in the Saddle one, but it was a regular sport jacket type and did not have the western cut cuffs, etc. Also, at that time, Ward's upper body was a good bit broader than Duke's......the coat would have hung on Duke without extensive adjustments. Can't imagine them switching off anyway. Just wondering, why did you want to know? Do you HAVE the coat? KEITH

Thank you so much, Hawkswill. Yes, as it happens we do have the costume and we would love to find out as much as we can about it. If I may, I'll show some other examples of what we believe to be Wayne costumes for everyone to take a look at. Any help in identifying what film they might be from will be appreciated.